Guide Rod and weights

This is a discussion on Guide Rod and weights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a G27, what are the advantages of a different guide rod and spring weight? More lbs = less recoil at the expense of ...

Thread: Guide Rod and weights

Exclamation Guide Rod and weights

I have a G27, what are the advantages of a different guide rod and spring weight? More lbs = less recoil at the expense of more weight? Would it be a smart idea to get a different rod/spring or a dual spring or a recoil buffer? I know too many questions are piling up here, I guess my question lies here: What are the best upgrades for your weapon to increase accuracy and longevity of the weapon? I have looked at barrels, rods and springs, 3.5# trigger. Etc. Would love to hear everyones opinions, or what they have done to thier personal weapon.

Thanks to all who participate!
    SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

oh, and Crimson Trace LaserGrips ;)
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

It's a Glock. You don't need to mess with anything to make it last long, be more reliable, or run smoother. A 3.5# connector lightens up the trigger a bit, but the Glock trigger still sucks.

I have a Glock 30. I put a 3.5# connector in it. I will put Ameriglo Operator night sights on and get a hard chrome on the slide for looks. That is all.

If you will use reloads, get an aftermarket barrel to get more chamber support. If you don't, just stick with the stock barrel.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    If you're recoil sensitive you can buy a heavy Tungsten Carbide guide rod which will calm recoil a bit as it adds some dead weight out front.

There is no reason NOT to buy one (if you want one) as they do not negatively affect the operation or reliability of the pistol in any way.

The Tungsten guide guide rod IS heavier than the Stainless steel so...if you're going to bother adding a metal guide rod then go w/ the Tungsten.

Click Here To Go There

First of all thank you two for answering so far, I must have re-read my thread 100x last night hoping for several comments to no avail.

My real question was in two parts, What benefits do stepping up/down the guide rod spring # has. I believe i read my factory G27 had 17# springs on the rod. Was curious what 12lb and.... 25lb(purely examples) springs have vs. the stock 17lb springs.
    REVISION: Stupid question about reliablility, it is a Glock. So lets drop the reliability question and stick with: What accessories improve accuracy most??Barrels, sights, laser grips, 3.5lb trigger? Is a recoil buffer necessary to stop the slide from beating the housing up or is this an optional accessory that i do not need what-so-ever? Is it necessary? Slightly repetitive, my apologies.

SS

ps, thanks for the link QK.
    Last edited by floridaguy911; July 24th, 2006 at 09:20 AM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911
    What accessories improve accuracy most??Barrels, sights, laser grips, 3.5lb trigger? Is a recoil buffer necessary to stop the slide from beating the housing up or is this an optional accessory that i do not need what-so-ever? Is it necessary? Slightly repetitive, my apologies.

SS

ps, thanks for the link QK.
    Range time and practice ammo will improve accuracy more than any accessories/modifications you can possibly make...period.

That being said, change the sights if you don't like the stock plastic sites. Glock triggers are never going to "break like a glass rod", but a little polishing will go a long ways toward cleaning up the pull. I have been using a 3.5# connector with an 8# (olive, NY1) trigger spring for years, and have found it to be, IMO, the best combo in that it gives a smooth DA revolver type pull without being too light. Recoil buffers are not necessary and should not be used as I have seen Glocks with intermittent failures-to-cycle immediately cured by removing the recoil buffer. Recoil spring weights won't make much of a difference in perceived recoil, so stick with the stock weight and the polymer rod. Aftermarket barrels can improve accuracy, but only if you are already more accurate than you Glock... I have a 1st Gen G17 that I have owned since 1988. I have put umpteen thousands of rounds through it, and it will still put 17 rounds through one ragged hole at 15 yards if I do my part correctly.

I use the tungsten guide rod in my 45 cal. Kimber Gold Match with a 5 inch barrel. The reason I use it is two fold:

1. Decreases muzzle flip some. It gets me back on target for a faster follow up shot. Less muzzle flip - the target stays in sight better.

2. I use 185 grain ammo. The tungsten guide rod adds ABOUT 3 ounces of weight to the pistol. Seems like a slight decrease in "felt" recoil.

In addition, I use the factory weight recoil spring. I have probably shot 10,000 rounds through my Kimber using the factory spring with no problems. I do change the recoil springs out about every 2,500 rounds with a new one. I feel it is extremely important to keep the springs changed regular.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Links