What would you do? Kimber CS

This is a discussion on What would you do? Kimber CS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a Kimber Solo right when they came out at $725. I really fell in love with the gun and I have a Kahr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What would you do? Kimber CS

I got a Kimber Solo right when they came out at $725. I really fell in love with the gun and I have a Kahr PM9 and a Robrbaugh R9. Only problem after 300 rds was the finish was rubbed off inside the frame where the recoil spring collar had evendently contacted it. That is not how it is supposed to roll.

Also, the mag release was hard to eject a full mag, but not an empty, but I felt that it should not be so hard you needed two hands to press. Of course, an empty was not an issue.

I explained the issues to Kimber CS. Was told they would pay the shipping both ways and would evaluate the issues. They received the gun back March 28th. On April 15th, I called back to get a status on the gun. Was told that they could not tell me, but were waiting for the manufacture of the mag release buttons. Was told that they would call me when they were ready to ship back. They said, they were running about 14 day turn around, of course it had been longer than that.

Now...as of May 20th, no word. I am getting concerned that it is an engineering problem or worse. Since then I have been told without verification that Kimber had ceased production of the Solo.

What would you do? Call and insist a new gun. Call and insist my money back. Call and get more info and hang on? I just don't like buying a new gun and sending it for a month or longer repair. Whata you think?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Administrator
    Money back or new gun... it doesnt matter. Never be the first one with the case of "I gotta have it". Chalk it up as a lesson learned not matter the outcome.
    MadMac likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really would like to know especially from those of you who have used Kimber CS, how that went. I loved the gun, but the issues needed correcting.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Are we warping ahead in time, its still April yet your saying may 20th, sorry had to run with that.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Stop buying Kimber. I would have looked at the Ruger LC9 or Keltec PF9. You could have bought two for the price of that Kimber. Bottom line is Kimber is overpriced and poor quality. It is what it is.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I've had nothing but trouble with Kimber. Of the two 1911's of theirs I've owned, both were unreliable and failed to feed and extract regularly. Several trips back to Kimber for repairs that actually made the situation worse on one of the pistols and only marginally better on the other prompted me to return them to my dealer for store credit. Kimber took their sweet time and talked to me like I was an idiot on the phone.

If you can get your money back it will probably be less frustrating.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Are we warping ahead in time, its still April yet your saying may 20th, sorry had to run with that.
    Sorry, correction...I meant April 20th....

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the springs inside the short barrelled .45's known to cause issues if not constantly maintained?

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the springs inside the short barrelled .45's known to cause issues if not constantly maintained?
    I have this one with zero problems out of the box. Have around 500 rds down range. If it was supposed to have issues, it never got the memo.

Stories like the OPs make me shy away from Kimber. It's rediculous to pay for a "custom" gun that doesn't work out of the box. Yeah my LC9 is cheaper, but no problems like you hear of Kimber's all the time. And yes, I know that Rugers aren't the finest of all guns. But mine work out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Stories like the OPs make me shy away from Kimber. It's rediculous to pay for a "custom" gun that doesn't work out of the box...<edit>.... yes, I know that Rugers aren't the finest of all guns. But mine work out of the box.
    I have to agree...I've never owned a Kimber, but from what I've read here and what a few of my associates have dealt with as errr ex-Kimber owners, I doubt I ever will. I know Taurus has a hit or miss rep, but when you pay as much as you do for a Kimber you expect it to work out of the box. I own two Taurus guns and both work fine, out of the box.......
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I was told by a gun dealer that Kimbers need a 1500 round break in period (It is written on the manual that comes with the guns!). I think it is just an excuse for poor workmanship. I have stayed away from them also.

I hope you get your money back and have a chance to buy a LC9, keltec, Glock 26 or Sig P290. Good luck.

Oh, boy... do your homework, people.

Since then I have been told without verification that Kimber had ceased production of the Solo.
    Silly me, what do I know... but if I was a gun manufacturer that discontinued a new model gun, I don't think I would use a picture of that gun as the home page of my web site. But hey, that's just me.

Kimber America | Fine 1911 Pistols and Rifles

I was told by a gun dealer that Kimbers need a 1500 round break in period (It is written on the manual that comes with the guns!).
    From the Kimber manual for their Compact Carry & Pro Carry (3-inch) available for the high price of a couple of mouse clicks:
    Kimber firearms are quality custom pieces. Our firearms are hand fitted to tight tolerances. For proper Break-in of the firearm
    shoot 400-500 rounds of Quality Factory Ball (230g. FMJ) Ammunition, cleaning and lubricating the gun every 100-150 rounds.

I'm not an apologist for Kimber, but the one Kimber I own (CDP Pro II) has a couple of thousand rounds of full-power ball and JHP through it. The ONLY problems it ever had were with the crummy mag that came with the gun. No problem, I just shifted to my supply of Wilson and Cobra mags, and no more problems. Would I buy another? Not sure, but they would be on my short list of 1911s along with Springfield, Baer, Brown, Wilson and Nighthawk.
    Last edited by gasmitty; April 22nd, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I dont know everything about Kimber but working in the store I do, I have spoke with the Kimber sales rep in person and have seen pictures of there warehouse. The rifle side of it is stacked with guns but their pistol side is bone dry. They are having a hard time keepin up with demand at this time. Also we just sent a customers Pro Crimson Carry back that he has had for 3 years and it took about a month to get it back. At this point now we have had 3 Solo Carrys come in to the store and 2 have had issues. Both were sent out and both have come back so far our customers have not reported any issues with them.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

I can only speak to the one Kimber I have and I realize thatís statistically insignificant, but itís been a great pistol. Accurate and dependable, it can be a handful to shoot with hot ammo but it conceals well.

Sounds like you have a couple of other pistols, I'd carry one of them and keep in touch with Kimber CS on the status of your pistol. I doubt you can make it come back any faster by giving them a hard time. After all the main thing is they address the problems you've outlined.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links