Defensive Carry banner

Best value for CC

8K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  ladder13 
#1 ·
I'm new to carrying so this will be my first purchase for CCW. I've spent hours reading and watching videos on different weapons that one can purchase to carry. I've narrowed it down to two
Ruger LC9
Kahr CW 9

And the Ruger SR9C as a distant third.

I would value thoughts from others who may have experience with these particular guns. Additionally, I would value insight on others guns that I may want to consider.

I'm a disabled/retired vet so budget is an issue. I hope to add a larger gun later this year (Glock 19 or 30 look like great options)

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Mike

#2 ·
Unless you just want to stick with the single stack magazines, I'd really look at a Glock 26, assuming you want to stay with 9mm. I'd also look closely at the Glcok 36 if .45 acp is something you'd consider. All are a bit bigger than what you have on your list however.

#3 ·
My suggestion for first-timers is always the same, and although it may not be glamorous or sexy, it will get the job done.

A 3-inch .357 or .38 revolver is the perfect concealed-carry weapon. No matter if you select a Taurus or Rossi, or ante up a few more dollars for a used Ruger or S&W, the revolver should be the first weapon mastered or carried. It is simple, and does not require much maintenance or up-keep. A .357 can be learned using light .38 special loads, and then you can up-grade to .357 loads. Many people feel perfectly comfortable relying on the proven ballistics of a .38 special load, and I am no exception to that.

Even a used S&W model 36 in a 3-inch tube will be very concealable and not set you back more than $300 and some change.

Once you have mastered the basics of handgunning with a revolver, by all means if you feel the need to move to a semi-automatic in a different caliber, you should do so. But most people here would agree that a basic revolver is hard to beat for anyone starting off... some of us have been shooting and carrying for years and still feel drawn to the reliability and simplicity of the revolver.

pull the trigger. goes bang every time. What't not to like about that?

#4 ·
Not my thread tooldawg99 but Ill take the advice anyways! lol I also am a newbie though Im a bit younger at 24, just took my handgun course and applying for my permit so I dont carry yet but I did buy my first gun since I enjoy shooting. I got a Taurus 24/7 pro .40, LOVE the gun....but its not a great concealed carry choice. Yes it can be done but much more easily in bulky winter clothes (thought thats most of the year up here in Maine lol) but still looking for something a little bit easier to conceal and I think I have decided on a revolver. Though I think Im going to go a different route, perhaps a bit more of a pain to controll and it will need some practice but Im more than willing to give lots of time for that :image035: , Im looking at a Ruger LRC. I got a chance to hold and fondle one today and I was VERY impressed wish I could get a chance to shoot one before I buy but Ill probably just take the plunge once I get the money saved up lol.

#5 ·
Of the guns you mentioned I would go for the SR9C. Simply because it will be somewhat more pleasureable to shoot than the LC9. Its also a double stack = more rounds. It will conceal well also. It has a extended mag with 17 rounds that could be used at home and the 10 round to carry. The SR9C is a better all around "one" gun choice IMO.

#6 ·
Jenkums86--- Used to live in the great Aroostook County ( Presque isle), but have been in" civilization" for 30+ years now! ( Loved the people, by the way). Try out the Ruger SP101 in the . 327 magnum version. It is high powered, so I prefer the .32 H&R magnum load and you can also shoot the 32 shorts or S&W 32 longs which give many options. I save the 327 loads for home protection purposes--- I find that caliber is not fun to shoot for any length of time! Good luck. You could also try the Ruger LCP in .380--- kicks a bit, but it is a great CCW.:smile:
Philly Boy in Cincinnati.

#7 ·
One thing about the SR9c to consider is that its trigger is phenomenal. Worlds better than the other two you're considering. It's more accurate at any distance, and gives you the option of carrying 18 rounds onboard. Nothing wrong with getting a micro-compact later for special purposes. You can get all the guns you want. But if you're looking to build on a foundation, get something solid you'll enjoy shooting first.

The advice to start with a revolver is also very good and should be considered very carefully.

#8 ·
Mike: You could try the Ruger LCP for CCW. It's .380 cal., but would be good to start out with as it is capable of being almost invisible in your pocket. I like my SP101 Ruger in .327 magnum 'cause it has four loads it can handle( see my other response on this thread). The Ruger LCR is also a good choice in .38 special--- nice size and easy to carry. Good luck!:smile:
Philly Boy in Cincinnati.

#9 ·
If I was picking between the specific choices you mentioned, I would buy the Kahr over the Rugers.

I just plain don't care for Ruger. My buddies that have had Ruger semi-autos always seem to have issues when I'm around, and I don't care for how they feel. They might fit your hand well, and feel great for you. {I do like SOME older Rugers, I tried hard to pick up a classic Ruger Security Six from an ex's father, lol.}

That said, have you looked into the Keltec Pf-9 and p3at? The p3at might be a bit small for your liking , but its ridiculously easy to conceal and has a great track record (mine always goes bang. heck, Ruger knocked off the design for their LCP...) The pf-9 is still a single stack magazine, but steps up to a 9mm instead of the weaker .380ACP round.

Thank you for your service!

tooldog99-nice revolvers! I think you are pretty accurate in what you say as well. Should be able to pick up a used S&W for the price range mentioned, stone reliable. Downside is of course a lower round capacity. I have a soft spot for a S&W .38 with the wood grips. First one I ever shot had the same grips , it was a 1 7/8" barrel though.

#10 ·
MIKE: P.S. THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!
Philly Boy in Cincinnati.:danceban:

#11 ·
Mike - You look to be exactly in the same boat I was. I wanted something slim, which pretty much narrowed me down to a single-stack 9mm. I gave the Glock 26 a look but it was too bulky for what I was looking for. I might suggest looking at this poll I had started a while back and the responses I got; I think you'll find lots of good info there. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/118246-single-stack-9mm-choices.html
(btw, I ended up choosing a CW9...felt better in my hand the the PPS and I have no regrets)

#13 ·
I have shot many pistols over my years, including my preferred Bersa. Bersas are very, very good handguns for the budget-minded shooter. Its extremely dependable, accurate, and carries a lifelong warranty. The ONLY advantage those higher price guns have over Bersas is that they are prettier. That's it. Nothing else.

Be mindful of those who denounce Bersa. A great majority of the time, when someone slams Bersa, its because believe it is an inferior firearm due to its low price. They assume its a cheaply made gun. I know; I made that mistake, too, years ago. Then I had saw one at a gunsmith's shop and inquired. I haven't looked back since.

Bersas are incredible little guns. Even Massad Ayoob thinks so!

#14 ·
Hey man, since you asked about getting the best value, I would seriously consider the Taurus Mil Pro - PT111. It is 12+1. Mine, with the stainless slide, comes in at 28.4 oz. fully loaded. I carry it every day. It has never had the first issue with any round I have put through it. You can often find them in the $325 to $350 range new. For value, I think it is a serious contender for lower priced, reliable CC. You should go to your local gun shop and take a look at one.

#19 ·
I'll second this. I have the same model in .40, and I love it. Tightest groups I've ever shot. Accurate, reliable, small, and its priced pretty reasonably. If you really want a 9mm, go with the pt111, but if you're open to it, take a look at the pt140. Surprisingly controllable with the .40 S&W.

#15 ·
Considering the fact you are a fellow DV, I will forgo the typical FNG advice.

I would save up for the Glock 30 or Glock 30SF out of your choices. It's the same size as the Glock 19 (effectively) and is a .45 not a 9mm. Then spend the money you didn't use on ammo.

The Glock manual of arms is about as simple as it gets. You have a consistent trigger pull and no external safeties or de-cock levers to fool with. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

I can't speak to the LC9 or any Kahr as I don't have any first hand experience. I would have to relate stories I've heard or read and I think you want more than that.

The best advice is to go to a large range or gun shop and handle as many different types as you can and choose what fits you best. If you've already done that, out of the four you mentioned, Get the Glock .45 hands down the best of the bunch. IMO YMMV

Semper Fi brother!

#16 ·
It is a very difficult decision. I just saw an LC9 yesterday and I like it very much, however, I am leaning towards the Glock 26. I believe the Glock will shoot more like a larger frame pistol, and it will be more manageable in a real life shooting situation. A small S&W J frame is in my wish list. The small revolver is easy to carry, fits anywhere, has plenty of power (some +P loads approach lower power .357 magnum), safe to carry, and they are very comfortable to shoot.

#17 ·
I would buy the Kahr over the Rugers.
Well if you're gonna go there, then it must be pointed out that buying Kahr is sending your money into the pockets of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon. Very distasteful. Buy Ruger and you're keeping Americans employed in domestic manufacturing. Just sayin'.

#20 ·
The SR9c is a great first gun. Small enough to conceal easily, but big enough to shoot a lot, comfortably. It's 9mm, for cheaper ammo, and it has an outstanding trigger. With the 17 round mag and grip extension, it makes a great nightstand gun. Plus, it's about $100 less than a G26 (more money for practice ammo!). I've got 2000 trouble-free rounds through mine, and I've been very happy with it.

#21 ·
Being a vet you're already familiar with semiautomatic pistols like the .45 or Beretta M9 depending on when you got out. I'd stick with auto loader over a revolver.

The next question is does your disability affect your ability to manipulate a smaller pistol like the Kel-Tech p3at or even a little larger like the LC9 if not then I'd really recommend the p3at it's very small, light weight and will get the job done with 7 round of .380 ACP and can be had new for $250.

It's what I use for concealed carry over my XD 9 Subcompact.

#22 ·
The Kahr CW9 is a very nice pistol. I have two or three other nice pistols, but I just can't seem to ever want to carry anything other than my Kahr.

#23 ·
Thanks to all of you who took time to respond.

Several suggested a 45 which was/is very high on my list. A Korean vet who lives down the street offered me over 1,000 rounds of 45 ammo for free. I felt a 9 would allow me to select something with a narrower width than the 45 (Glock 30 or 36) and get acclimated to carrying especially spring and summer on the horizon.

@tooldawg99 I did consider the S&W 642 as a carry. I have a Sig Mosquito that I am using to learn the basics and practice without breaking the bank. My thought was transiting from the Sig semi to larger caliber semi would be easier. Perhaps my thinking is not solid.

@jclaudek Serving was proudest thing I've done.

@crabbys44 thanks for you service and not beating up on the NFG :)

@shockwave I thought Kahr was located in Mass and an American company.

@defdave3 seems no matter what we spend the folks in DC have different agenda.

@pica my disability does not limit my ability to manipulate a weapon, thankfully!

I appreciate all of the feedback. Now I need to decide

Mike

#24 ·
Of the two you've already narrowed it down to, I think the CW9 is the better choice. Its been around the block and has been on the street a lot longer. The Ruger is just to new. As for your longer (or even short term line of thinking) run this scenario through your head;

Lets say I pluck you off the street and say, Tomorrow you will be in a gun fight. Its going to happen. Here, I have these NIB pistols, you must use one of these in this gun fight.
I have a CW9, the very new to the market LC9, the SR9, the Glock 19. What is the smart man going to choose? Add whatever make/model you want. Taurus, Bersa or whatever suggestion anybody adds to this thread. The wise choice will pretty much always stay the same.

#26 ·
As a rule I never buy the new model guns...hear about way too many problems across the board for many manufacturers. Hell just in the last year, S&W Bodyguard, Kimber Solo, etc. have all come out and have all had numerous problems reported both on this site and the other gun sites of note.

I would go with the Kahr...I own that specific gun and use it as my main CC gun. I entrust my family's lives on its reliability. It also holds pretty well unless you have gigantic hands, shoots very nicely and has nice accuracy. I would however ask you to go try it out, there must be someone locally that would let you handle it and go through a couple mags of your own ammo.

Another thing to consider is that I feel like the Kahr is a strictly CC gun. I would not use it as a target-practice gun (other than, you know, practical practice) nor an ideal home defense gun. For that, I go with my full-size gun(s) (CZ SP-01). I guess moral or that story is that you won't find one gun that will be good for all purposes unless you are willing to live with the sacrifices of running that gun outside of its primary purpose.

I.e. you CAN use a large full-size gun for CCW such as the G17 but you will have to work around its comparatively larger size...on the other hand you CAN use a CW9 for target practice but you will have to be OK with the more "aggressive" recoil and less ammo per mag.

#27 · (Edited)
50s - 70s revolvers can be very good guns for not a lot of money and there are many around. Smith & Wesson, Colts made fantastic guns, perhaps better than contemporary ones. Many are former police guns, very little use, just holster wear. Revolvers are also a very good way to learn to shoot. Go into Used Depts of gun stores in your area, likely to have some around.

#28 ·
This might not make your choice any easier, but yesterday I almost traded my PM40 for a S&W M&P series revolver. My best advice to a new CC shooter would be to get one of these little +p .38s and build your inventory down the road. IMO, there's no handgun out there that is as easy to carry all day as one of the small .38s. I have spent loads of cash looking for the perfect CC gun and have got some pretty nice firearms during that time, but again IMO the small J frame in .38 special +p wins the day everyday, at least for me anyway.

Good luck in your search. If you just want a semi over the wheel gun. I'd say the Kahr CW series is worth a look and IMO a better value over the majority.

GBK :bier:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.