Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have and carry a Charter Arms “On Duty”. Pro 1. Very light weight, 15.5oz fully loaded 2. 100% reliable after many hundreds of rounds ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

I have and carry a Charter Arms “On Duty”.
    Pro
    1. Very light weight, 15.5oz fully loaded
    2. 100% reliable after many hundreds of rounds (the one exception is Blazer +p, they will pull bullets due to the poor crimp on aluminum cases)
    3. Mechanically Accurate (takes practice to shoot any snubby well)
    4. After a lot of dry fire with snap caps, very good trigger.

Con
    1. Not as tightly fitted as a good S&W or Ruger
    2. No aftermarket accessory’s or parts. If you don’t like the two types of grips Charter sells, you’re out of luck.
    3. Hard to fully disassemble, it is put together with pins, not screws.
    4. Plastic grip frame.

The price difference when I bought mine was over $100, but the price of the Smiths has come a lot closer now. If you can’t afford the S&W the Charter will serve you well.
    bunker likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Ok, S&W has made a huge push to go after the "lower end market" You can buy most of there .38 snubbies for under $400 NIB. Yes the Charters are $350 but that isnt a big gap. Personally I like the smith better it is much smoother and built just as strong, But charter offers a few things that smith doesn't at least in that price range: 1. .44 specials for under $400 2. 327 with Crimson trace for under $500. Those are the guns from charter that I would be looking at. Infact my LGS just got about a dozen charters in and I think I am gonna have to adopt one of those cute BullDog .44 specials.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    FYI:

Price comparison:

Charter Off duty,... 12oz. $333, free shipping.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/38068

Charter Undercover...16oz...$295 free shipping.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/38053

S&W 442,.....15oz....$361 free shipping.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/26306

Taurus CIA.......21oz(!) $297, free shipping
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31864

Ruger LCR.....13oz....$398, free shipping
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/58567

I can't help but wonder though, if I should have gotten the Taurus .357MAG CIA instead of my 442. My LGS didn't have it.

Taurus CIA .357MAG,...22.4oz(!!!!!).....$334, free shipping
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31866

Not that big of a difference.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Taurus makes the 605 that is 299 brand new from bass pro. Thats a .357 snub. They also have a .38 of same design for same price. Im sure you could get one of those for around teh same price and ive heard good things about em. Ima get one soon as i recover from teh glock purchase

Ex Member
    I am a BIG J frame size gun fan. This past winter I took a friend of mine, who was a novice shooter to shoot a variety of small .38's. We had a S&W 60, 38, 649, SP101, Taurus, and a Charter Arms. She shot all 3-4 times and when finished I asked what she liked the best. She chose the Charter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I am a BIG J frame size gun fan. This past winter I took a friend of mine, who was a novice shooter to shoot a variety of small .38's. We had a S&W 60, 38, 649, SP101, Taurus, and a Charter Arms. She shot all 3-4 times and when finished I asked what she liked the best. She chose the Charter.
    Proves again that the best firearm is always the one that you like/shoot the best.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have an older, (1979) undercover in 38 special. I like it. It works great, and once I "Adjusted" the front sight it shoots plenty accurate.
    The only issue I ad is one of the pins in the frame kept working out. I replaced it with a spring pin and now it's been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have an old Charter .38 in stainless and old Bulldog .44 in blue. No problems at all. I had to relieve the wood grips on both to get an HKS speedloader to fit properly, and Tuff Strips work fine. Right now the .38 has old +P Nyclads in it, the .44 is loaded with Federal LSWCHP. First choice? No. Reliable affordable SD gun? Yes.
    Superhouse, I replaced the wood grips on my 38 with the new Charter short combat grips. They are relieved to allow a speedloader. The new grips fit the older models. I don't know if Charter has combat grips for the bulldog though.

I have a newer charter off duty, paid $325 out the door for it NIB. I've had it for about 2 years never any issues its light as a feather and goes bang every time, the finish might not be as nice as S&W and the trigger is a little more gritty but that's about the end of the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Very cool. And by the way, I LOVE your avatar picture.
    Dragman likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Very cool. And by the way, I LOVE your avatar picture.
    ME 2.

The Charter Arms will serve you well. I have a very early Bridgeport Undercover and a newer production Off Duty. Both perform like they should.

I have an Off Duty that I love. It is my drop in the pocket, go walk the dog, sweat all over, and not worry too much about snubbie. Just an FYI, my Charter stable is up to 4. I really like both my .44 Special Pugs too though.

I owned a Charter Undercover for a while, sold it to a buddy (he still has it) when I upgraded to the Police Undercover (6-shot stainless) which I carried for years. I still carry it on occasion. undercover.gif
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Mike, you're not new to guns, or this forum. Would you put your family in an $800 car? You have quality guns, why waste $260 on a whim?
    my wife drives an $800 car 80 miles a day to and from work, it a/c, cruise, a good rubber on it, why wouldn't you drive and $800 car that does the same thing a $20000 car does????
    franco45 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links