Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a new Charter Undercover back in the early 80s. Bobbed the hammer myself and made some small custom finger-grooved grips for it so ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

I bought a new Charter Undercover back in the early 80s. Bobbed the hammer myself and made some small custom finger-grooved grips for it so it was a little more comfortable to shoot. Never had a problem with it and it even fit inside my boot top occasionally for deep concealment. Most of the time it just slipped into my back pocket or sometimes a leather pancake holster. It was stolen a few years ago in a break-in and I replaced it with a stainless Charter .44 BD Pug. Not as small or light as my old Undercover, but I liked the idea of the bigger .44 Special round. However the .38 Special still has a large following and long service reputation. I would not hesitate to get another Undercover if I wanted one.

2. Remove Ads

Mike, I recall your having one or more Ruger semi (SR9C & LC9). Why not go with the LCR? It receives great reviews.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    my wife drives an $800 car 80 miles a day to and from work, it a/c, cruise, a good rubber on it, why wouldn't you drive and $800 car that does the same thing a $20000 car does????
    I'm with Paullie on this one!

I've had a stainless CA Undercover for about 30 years. I think I paid about $100 for it NIB. It's not my preferred CCW - that's what Kahr's are for. But it's been flawless all these years, and is still a great drop-in-the-pocket gun for a run to the corner store. I find I mainly use it for snakes, and I've killed at least 50 copperheads with it out on our rural property. It IS my wife's favorite SD gun, although I've tried to convince her that some of my other handguns might be a better choice.

If I want to impress the gun snobs, I'll pull out the ol' Python, a SIG, or my Combat Commander, but I surely can't see how buying a CA is a "waste".

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Mike, I recall your having one or more Ruger semi (SR9C & LC9). Why not go with the LCR? It receives great reviews.

Mike
    Considering that this thread was started in April....my guess is that the OP has long since made the purchase. Whether it was a Charter of something else.

The Old Charters are good, the post about 1996-1998 are good, but the one's in the middle not so much. They cheapenedd them in those years and the quality really went down. The Co was bought and they were determined to bring the quality back into the gun and did.

It's known as a good gun, as long as you don't get one in those middle years.... look up the history and you can find what years those were.

I have shot several at the range others owned and they shot just fine. I own a 1973 charter that is not a carry model (6" barrel) and it does well. No complaints. The Company, were extremely helpful and friendly folks, and sent me an old manual, parts list, etc. to my surprise (wasn't requested).

The Charter Undercover, was their best and most known gun.

Don't forget Rossi.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

My first 2" was a charter undercover. Bought it in 1970 for $40, used from a sheriff who bought a smith model 60 in stainless.
    The charter always went bang when you pulled the trigger, and was a good knockabout gun for IWB, or pocket carry. My employer knew I carried, but said, "don't let any customers see it". I never felt undergunned or worried about malfunctioning while carrying it. However, I traded it in after 2 years on a model 60, because I sweat a lot. The 60 was made and finished better, and it went bang when you pulled the trigger. Being heavier, it shot better, but this type of gun is used at less than 15'. Accuracy is not important.
    Now, all that said, I now carry a smith 642. Bought it cheap from a friend who had fallen on hard times, just to help him out. It grew on me and now I carry it as my EDC in an IWB Galco holster.
    My advice is: look at the gun stores and try to find a smith 642, 442, whatever, in airweight aluminum alloy frame.
    Light enough for pocket/IWB carry, rated for +P ammo, very smooth triggers from the factory, and the DAP trigger is relatively safe from an accidental discharge, but will get the job done if you have to use it. I am a smaller man (5'7) and the recoil is not objectional even with +P. Also, its very concealable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Considering that this thread was started in April....my guess is that the OP has long since made the purchase. Whether it was a Charter of something else.
    Agreed - but it doesn't hurt to see the thread revived if some are interested in it.

Regards,
    Jim

i like the older models with a pac grip better than the new ones but its just my opinion

I have an OLD chartered arms. It was my fathers off duty weapon / BUG, (he was a retired Philadelphia Cop with 23 years) I inherited it when he passed away last year. I have never shot it but the trigger pull feels great. My mother bought it for him in 1968 for $38 brand new. It was a constant companion of his for his 23 years on the Philly PD & for the 17 years he was a Federal police officer at the Philly naval shipyard. I remember going to the range with my father & watching him fire the Police carry load at the time, the 132 FMJ 38 special round. anyway they were great guns then.

I currently own a current generation Undercover and a first generation Bulldog. I have owned 3 other CA revolvers and were happy with all of them.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Today you could spend 1000 to 1500 dollars on a s&w custom and get one that does not work out of the box so stop bashing charter arms . Must be the same ones that bash keltec too. I have a a charter ultra light and it runs just like a revolver should but becasue of being 13oz it does kick with hotter kicks. Nice pocket gun. I also have a old taurus 85ss that is the smoother trigger than any sw I have found. I carried it for 20 years. Around here 260 will get you a charterarms also a keltec pf-9 for a bit less. Even a couple of the all steel taurus's in that price range.

I bought a Charter Arms Undercover in 1981. At first I didn't like it for various reasons (none of them very good), but I still have it and love it. I've shot probably a thousand rounds through it and have never had a single problem.

Don't know about the undercover model, but I have a .44 Bulldog, circa 1980s that I have bobbed the hammer on and it's a great carry gun. I'm not promoting Charters, but this has been a reliable big bore revolver.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I have an old Charter Arms on duty 38sp, the first gun I ever owned, for 30 years now and still practice with it at the range. It has served me well. My CCW is now the S&W M&P 340 and it is easier to carry and I can see the XS front sight better but much too expensive for most.

Ive owned a couple of the older ones Were they as nice as a S&W made back then. No, but they fired same bullet just as relieable. I stil have my 44 spl. Bulldog. I would maybe look for a used older S&W I picked up a 3" chief Pre model 36 while back made in 1955 and shoots great. paid 300 for it. Iam no a fan of the current S&W pistols.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links