Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a Undercover DAO marked Charco 2000. This was supposed to be the worst years to buy them. I never had a problem. I ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

I had a Undercover DAO marked Charco 2000. This was supposed to be the worst years to buy them. I never had a problem. I liked the Gun a lot. My Friends Wife needed a Small carry gun after he died and I gave it to her. She shot it well and as far as I know still carries it. A Shop ware I used to work sold them regularly. We had to send a few back over time for repair but, we also sent S&W, Taurus, and Kahr Handguns for repair. All makes have a problem now and then. Evan the HIGH DOLLAR Shot Guns we used to sell.

2. Remove Ads

Thought I'd add another post to this Charter Arms Undercover thread. I've had my concealed carry permit for about a year now, and because I'm not really interested in all the lifestyle/fashion changes that seem to be associated with IWB carry and such, I've opted for pocket carry. Although I owned a Charter Arms Undercover .38 special (purchased new in 1981), I decided to go all tactical and carry a new Ruger LC9. I love that gun, but for whatever reason I can't help but keep coming back to the old Undercover. I know a lot of people diss the splinter handgrips, but I love them. (I mean really...it's a .38 special...it's not going to jump out of my hands when I shoot it.) This gun is so easy to conceal it's insane. And even though it's over 30 years old now, the blued finish is perfect, the walnut grips are pretty, and the gun has never let me down. I think I got ripped off when I bought it for $180 in 1981 (I was very young), but now I wouldn't sell it or trade it for anything.

Unhappy Charter Arms snubbie

I just received one I won on Gunbroker. Revolver looked brand new and has the factory rubber finger groove grips. I shot it for the first time today with five rounds of Winchester 158 gr lead HP. Now the cylinder won't open to eject the empties? I don't believe the factory loads are too hot as I carried the same load in my backup Charter arms when I was a uniform cop. How the heck do I resolve this situation? Is it something I can fix myself? It was listed as a used gun on the auction. I'm going to contact the seller but doubt he will be of any help with it being a used gun.

Tom

I don't know how I missed this thread.

I have a 1st Gen. Undercover from the 1960s made in the Bridgeport factory. I found it in the used gun counter at my LGS. It looked practically brand new, and was 200 bucks. It shoots great, and I'm glad I purchased it.

I also have a Mag Pug .357 and it shoots and carries very well. With the old-style "splinter" grips, this thing carries like a champ! I would like to have the "Police Undercover" model, as it has the exact same frame size as the Bulldog and Mag Pug, but gives you 6 rounds of .38, and doesn't have the ported barrel (which I don't really care for) of the Mag Pug.

Here are both guns:

undercover.jpg

charter_wood_gripz.jpg

StarPD45
    I also have the Charter .44spl snubbie. Had it many years. Never a problem. Not an airweight, but it puts out a decent size round without the recoil of a magnum.

VIP Member
    I think the only revolver that S&W makes now without the Hillary hole is the 642 style ...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links