Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking the next gun I get is going to be a snubbie .38 and i am looking at the Charter Arms Undercover. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Undercover. Who owns one?

I am thinking the next gun I get is going to be a snubbie .38 and i am looking at the Charter Arms Undercover. I have held one and I like it. I know some will say go for a S&W, pay the extra $$. But, and I know some of you will understand this, I have a bunch of kids. They all need to eat, they all need shoes and clothes and other things. So money is a big concern to me and if I can save a bit, I do.

I know the Charter isn't as nice as the S&W. I know the trigger may not be as nice. But I'm not really worried about that. If it fires when I want it to, I'm good with it. I really want a gun I can easily drop in my pocket and this looks like the one for me.

So who owns one or has shot one? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My Boyfriend got his SW 642 Brand New for $350. They run promotions on them alot. Is the Charter Arms much cheaper?
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

My Charter experience was standing next to my brother while his shaved lead and threw it on my face. Taurus is the floor for cheap, new revolvers.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Go with the Charter Arms. The local gun shop owner got a pink one for his wife to carry, and she loves it. He wound up bringing a couple home for himself too. I'm looking into a .38 as well, and that one is at the top of my list.

my wife has an older one made late 70s early 80s in s+w .32 long. its her cc and she loves it. never had a problem.

My buddy bought one Ive shot it...It not bad to shoot, and even though it's semi-hammer less, it s good choice if your on budget..

I saw it and he bought it,go figure...

If you want to upgrade look at a LCR 38...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I had an older model that I traded for several years ago that was a great shooter, but had a problem with the cylinder release mechanism. The detent plunger (for lack of proper terminology) in the breach face that actually pushes out the cylinder pin when the cylinder release is activated kept working it's way out of adjustment. I ended up trading it. If it hadn't been for that, I probably would have kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    My Boyfriend got his SW 642 Brand New for $350. They run promotions on them alot. Is the Charter Arms much cheaper?
    I'm seeing the Charter Undercover on GunBroker for about a hundred below that. $260 or so.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

For $260 Mike, I would really look around, including all your local gun stores and some even an hour drive away, and see if I couldn't find a used (good condition) S&W, Ruger, or even older Rossi snub.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Mike, you're not new to guns, or this forum. Would you put your family in an $800 car? You have quality guns, why waste $260 on a whim?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

jyo
    Way, WAY back in the early 70s, I bought a brand new CA Undercover .38 ($65 new from K Mart!) and found while shooting it no one near-by was safe from spraying lead! This was a VERY early gun and quality was awful. Now having said that, during the "East L.A. Riots" some local fellows told me that they were going to burn down my business (I guess they just didn't have anything better to do) and I showed them that little revolver and they all decided to roam elsewhere---no shots fired---no blood on the streets---fine with me!

I have an old Charter .38 in stainless and old Bulldog .44 in blue. No problems at all. I had to relieve the wood grips on both to get an HKS speedloader to fit properly, and Tuff Strips work fine. Right now the .38 has old +P Nyclads in it, the .44 is loaded with Federal LSWCHP. First choice? No. Reliable affordable SD gun? Yes.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have one of the newer ones. Shoots great. I like mine. Good pocket gun or run to the market gun. Light and easy to conceal.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Mike I personally would go for the extra hundred bucks and pick up an S&W 642, better quality, easier to shoot, and in my opinion prettier
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I've got a Charter "Off Duty" the closed hammer DAO cousin to the "under-cover". It shoots as well as can be expected from THE lightest .38 snub available on the market.
    It was my primary carry for over a year while I fumbled and bumbled looking for a holster I liked for my Glock 26.
    I also have a Rossi in stainless steel. It shoots slightly better as it's noticeably heavier. Neither is as enjoyable to shoot or as accurate as the G26.
    I've only had the Charter a bit over a year, but no complaints.
    And did I mention that there is no lighter .38 revolver than Charter?
    Makes it a great "get used to carrying" starter pistol.
    bunker likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links