Chiappa Rhino

This is a discussion on Chiappa Rhino within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chiappa Firearms Does anyone have any practical experience with this gun? It is an interesting concept but I have never seen it in person. Have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Chiappa Rhino

Chiappa Rhino

Chiappa Firearms

Does anyone have any practical experience with this gun? It is an interesting concept but I have never seen it in person. Have also read a positive review in Combat Handguns mag Tactical-Life.com CHIAPPA RHINO .357 MAG

I am in the market for a snubby .357 Mag as a backup or alternate to my Kahr CW9. Obviously, I am looking at the other "guns of note" but just wondering if anyone has tried this particular gun and are the advantages that the article and manufacturer are suggesting are true (tamed recoil and natural point of aim).

2. Remove Ads

A friend of mine got to try one not long ago, and it's true, the lower barrel shifts the recoil so that it pushes into your hand rather than trying to pull it up and over, making it much more manageable.
    They're ugly as home-made soap, but if it shoots that nice, I may just feel the need for an ugly gun.

Good luck finding a holster for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    A friend of mine got to try one not long ago, and it's true, the lower barrel shifts the recoil so that it pushes into your hand rather than trying to pull it up and over, making it much more manageable.
    They're ugly as home-made soap, but if it shoots that nice, I may just feel the need for an ugly gun.

Good luck finding a holster for it though.
    I think they include a holster with the gun when you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I think they include a holster with the gun when you buy.
    For that matter, I know there are several on this forum that make holsters. Some hobbyist, some professional.
    I'm sure if I requested something similar to holsters I already own and know I like, someone could step up and build me one.

Rhino's come with a holster!!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

P.S. If you google Chiappa Rhino Reviews you will be amazed at the low recoil on the videos! It is hard to believe your eyes when you see the recoil looks like the person is shooting a .22! The price, in the $ 700+ range, is the one thing that has kept me from buying one. maybe in the future... ?
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaudek View Post
    P.S. If you google Chiappa Rhino Reviews you will be amazed at the low recoil on the videos! It is hard to believe your eyes when you see the recoil looks like the person is shooting a .22! The price, in the $ 700+ range, is the one thing that has kept me from buying one. maybe in the future... ?
    I couldn't see paying that much for such a "new product" from a brand I don't know anything about, and can't readily get information on. If I had more disposable income and was willing to risk my hand (KB) it'd be really fun to test out newer stuff.

Wonder if it will gain popularity.

I do like that its 6 rounds, and .357MAG as opposed to .38SP+P. I'd like to see one of those comparison graphs next to an S&W 442 for size comparison?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I would love to get one they are just so expensive. Only issue I heard from people is it has a long trigger but chiappa has responded to that and you can get a shorter trigger ordered for it

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    ... I'd like to see one of those comparison graphs next to an S&W 442 for size comparison?
    Here's one comparing the Rhino to another 357Mag wheeler..

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

There was an article in the latest "American Rifleman" about this revolver.

Seems a bit on the heavy side - certainly not a pocket gun. Other potential issue is that the design puts the trigger very close to the forcing cone. You need to be sure you keep the thumb of your support hand in the proper place, or you can literally get burned.

They also reported some issues with the extractor star jumping the rim of certain ammo.

As with all new gun designs, I would wait at least a year before plunking my money down on one, to be sure any bugs are fixed.

I am intrigued by the design, and the slab-sided cylinder looks like it would print less in a pocket, if they made a lighter weight pocket-able version in the future. Hmmm...
    Diddle likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've seen them. Took a good look at one at the gun show last weekend, and really liked it. But, I can't afford another 'toy' right now. It felt pretty good in my hand, but it was ugly. I mean, REALLY ugly.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Interesting gun. But whoa is that thing ugly!

Worse than a Glock???

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    it kind of looks like a rhino to me, maybe thats why its named rhino
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Italian gun makers produce some of the finest quality guns in the world. I think the country as a whole prides themself on their craftsmanship... I personally give the thumbs up for breaking the mold in revolver design. It is truly the only way to advance, by thinking outside of the box. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links