Glocks two camps love or hate - Page 2

Glocks two camps love or hate

This is a discussion on Glocks two camps love or hate within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mwhartman I've found this site extremely helpful. It seems that the Glocks receive quite a bit of discussion and there are two ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glocks two camps love or hate

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I've found this site extremely helpful. It seems that the Glocks receive quite a bit of discussion and there are two camps love them or hate them. I've not owned a Glock so I would appreciate hearing the pros and cons from members who own or did own a Glock.

I do not want to start a flame war just need as much info as possible to help me decide on whether Glock does or does not belong in my future.

Mike
    There is a Glock in your future!
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

i've been considering buying a G26 or G19 for awhile now,but seems every time i leave the gun shop it's with something smaller,thinner and lighter then Glocks..one of these days..:)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I suppose I'm oddly in the middle. While I get very annoyed at how so-called "gun snobs" talk so much smack, and act is if the Glock is the end all, be all , do all pistol and almost seem to worship it, I also see alot of people that hate it. I can see where you got that opinion.

Heres my $.02-

I like Glock. As a whole, I believe their weapons are reliable and fairly priced for the quality they seem to have. I do not, nor have I ever owned a Glock. I have greatly considered purchasing one. I used to own an XD (recently sold.) and when I purchased it, I handled both the XD and Glock several times, laid them side by side, and spent a good bit of time comparing them. I liked them both, and it was a hard decision to make. I don't have alot of desire to carry anything with a double stack mag, after several holster combos and attempts to EDC my XD. I have wondered a good bit if I had bought the Glock, would I still own it? Probable not.Everybody is different, and I see people on here carrying full sized pistols without any issues. I can't get away with that comfortably. Once I'm out of college and have some more financial freedom I might end up owning a Glock one day.

Last gun I bought was a S&W 442 .38SP revolver. Next gun I'll probable buy for myself (it will be a carry weapon) will probable be a Keltec pf9, Walther ,micro 1911...or something nice and "slim" with a single stack. {Hopefully my wife will be picking out her first carry weapon soon, who knows what she'll want.)

Best thing I can say: Find a local range that rents out them. Shoot a couple different frame sizes and see how you feel after that. If its comfortable for YOU, and you can be accurate with a Glock, go for it.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I just bought a glock 21 for my wife. Its a great gun and I like it I just prefer full metal guns. I like the weight of them

The only way you will no, is by shooting and handling one.

I trust my life to a Glock. Period.
    Old School and brylow like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

sgb
    Handguns like any other tool are going to have those who like them and those who don't. While Glocks are as most modern firearms are, largely dependable the suffer the same issues that all other man made products do. I've had several Glocks in both .40 and 9mm and as much as I tried to like them I don't. The grip angle feels off causing it to point high for me and the slide eats the web of my hand.

The Glock koolaid drinkers like all koolaid drinkers will talk about how their brand choice is perfect, ignoring and refusing to believe that any Glock has ever malfunctioned that isn't attributed to faulty ammunition.

The only perfect gun is the one you shoot well, if that's a Glock then Glock is the perfect gun for you.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I don't hate Glocks, but I am not a fan of them. I know that they are well made pistols, but they don't work for me. I don't like their grips and I think that they are ugly. I also like to have a safety on a SA pistol.

But I don't hate or dislike people who love Glocks. If they work for them, great, more power to 'em. They're just not for me.

Now I don't hate Kahrs either, but I won't buy a gun from company owned by a crazy religious cult.

VIP Member
    Don't own one. Have shot the G17 G19 G 27 a few times. I'm in the middle somewhere. Mostly, it is a matter of personal preference. I don't care about appearance. I care about reliability and ease of concealed carry. I care about my perception of safety.

The Glock system does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings about safety. If I were looking to purchase something similar I'd look at the XD series or the M&P series. As it turns out in my case, pocket carry is the only really practical thing for me. (I haven't yet tried a Remora for IWB but that might work.) So size and weight count. If I had money, time, and some more interest in getting another gun, I'd be looking at either an LCP or 642/442 style.

Everyone is different.

For a home defense gun I'd take a G 27 any time. Its not what I have but that would do the job very well. For everyday carry, my preference is something smaller than the Glock line with a better (IMO) safety system. I sometimes carry a .40 with a DA/SA trigger, no safety of course. The initial trigger pull is hard enough to feel safe, and a very easy slight pull on the slide (maybe 3/4 inch) is all it takes to go into SA mode. I feel more comfortable about that gun than I would with a Glock. BUT--- EVERYONE is different. It boils down to personal preference.

I have had a 22 and 23 both were reliable, the only one now is a 19 gen4, a real mistake it jams all the time, still waiting for my #4 spring, I have called twice and am assured that they (GLock CS) will send one out. After almost 5 weeks I doubt if I see a #4 spring, and after watching Hikok45 run a G19 Gen4 with the #4 spring it is not going to fix my problem. it was still jamming Hikok45 on 115FMJ rounds which are pretty much what is available in supplies around here.

If I decide to get rid of the G19 and take a loss this will be the last Glock for me. Reliability is what brought me to Glock, so I don't need to stay with Glock, I will get another 9mm to replace it. I will do some research on Customer Service of the company before I purchase again, I certainly don't think much of Glock's Customer Service.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I love em, I can say I don't know anyone that has spent any serious time with them that doesn't. The people I personally know that don't like them have either NEVER shot them or tried a full size and wrote them off cuz the grip was too big.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Well, here is an entirely different view. I'm fairly indifferent! I have a G26. Darn nice gun and carries on me more comfortably that my LCP (It's a tummy issue) because it rides higher in the same type / brand of holster. Frankly I like it about as well as my snubbies and simi-autos. It fits a nitch that my other guns don't. I know well the lovers and haters but I am proud to say I am neither. A good gun is a good gun regardless of the name on it.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I own and use several.
    Hard to beat as an all around defensive handgun, although they are certainly not for everyone.

So yeah, I really like them.

I used to hate them. I had shot a full size G22 and didn't really care for the way it fit in my hand. Same thing when I held a G21. I found the swell on the back of the grip was too much. I didn't look at them for years after that. Then I was getting sights on another pistol and the guy doing the work wanted me to look at his G19. I couldn't believe how well it fit in my hand. So I looked around some more at Glocks after that and noticed the swell on the back of the grip wasn't as back on the G19s, 23's, and 30's. So after that I went and bought a 30 and a 19 for my wife. Now I'm saving for a 19 for training and carry a 30SF. I wish I didn't wait so long to look at them and give them a second chance.

Using the same brand holster (AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather.) I found the G30 is much easier to conceal than the XD45 Compact.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links