Glocks two camps love or hate - Page 3

Glocks two camps love or hate

This is a discussion on Glocks two camps love or hate within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I conceal a full sized G17... and a G29SF...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glocks two camps love or hate

I conceal a full sized G17... and a G29SF

Never got use to the grip, I've shot quite a few glocks & shot em well but when point shooting I always shoot high
    First glock I ever shot was a G-20 Not bad at all, Ive shot the G-26 the best out of all No love or hate ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Ive found put after owning and shooting many guns that the Glock 19 is my gun. I can put 15 rounds of quick fire into a space the size of a baseball at 21 feet with it. I cant do that with any other firearm I own. the closest I get is with my Govt. model and my 40sw Jericho but still not as tight with either. I originally got it because i wanted a 9mm for cheap shooting but I wanted a more modern design. After checking different weapons and prices I chose the Glock 19. It took me a year after that to realize it was my sidearm not just another pistol I own but one for whatever reason I perform best with.

I would recommend Glock to anyone, however that being said I believe that to each person there is a gun out there that will fit them perfectly. Most people will buy many many guns and shoot for years before they find it. It could be a expensive 1911, a mid ranged polymer pistol, or a Saturday night special. I'm Just lucky I found mine quickly it means I can spend my money on fun guns from here on out.

I was a die hard 1911 guy since I started shooting but after renting a couple Glocks last month I had to go out and buy a Gen3 Glock 26 its now my new everyday carry. It's reliable as semi-auto's get my round count is already at 1000 with no malfunctions. Carries easy and I can bang it around without worrying about scratching the finish or anything like that, already shopping for my next Glock.

Horrible things, Glocks. I've tried them in multiple calibers and models, from stock to highly customized, and as far as I can tell, the kind of people who like Glocks are the same people who buy Spyderco knives. I just can't understand it.

So let's go down the list:

1. Reliability. No. Took my father to a range because he's thinking of getting a gun for HD. I figured he'd value simplicity and reliability, and figured he should know what Glocks are all about. In the first box of ammo he had a FTF.

2. Aesthetics. Ha ha.

3. Ergonomics. They feel like twisting, squirming bricks in my hand. Maybe different in yours. To me, the Glock grip is almost painful. Square, awkward, ill-fitting, they really do not feel good when held. The sub-compacts feel like they're going to fly out of your grip.

4. Balance. Every Glock I've ever held is seriously nose-flippy. This is perhaps the thing about them that is the foremost deal-breaker: They are unbalanced.

5. Accuracy. Fail.

6. Value. Way overpriced, considering all you get is a soulless robotic rectangular bang-bang box.

These are my general impressions. Yours may be different. That's OK. That's why we have a range of firearms available and that's why not all handguns are Glocks. If they work for you, super. Happy for you. But I'd never want to have something so ugly and unpleasant to hold in my armory. I want my weapons to slip into my hand like a glove, to be well-balanced, super-accurate, and totally reliable.
    21bubba likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I trust my life to a Glock. Period.
    This !

photo.jpg
    brylow likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I used to hate Glocks. Then I started shooting them, and found out that they work and fairly well for me.

However, I've also found that the two platforms that work better for me are P7's and 1911's. I have decided to move more in that direction, and in that vein, moved from 9 Glocks to 4, likely soon to be down to two or three.

However, I doubt I'll ever be completely Glock free. The G21 and G34 are wonderful pistols; I could likely be persuaded to part my my G30 and G17RTF2.

I will say this, however--after owning what I could consider to be the big three of the polymer frame, striker fired, doublestack pistols--the Glock, the XD, and the M&P--the Glock was by far the best of the three...for me.

ETA--oh, and to just comment on the "Spyderco" line above--I like Glocks, and I carry Chris Reeves knives. Never owned a Spyderco.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

To me Glocks arent as attractive as other guns out there,they have kind of a plain generic appearnce.nothing special.Now if you put on some nice wood grips,a stainless steel finish and a hammer.I might be interested.

Their beauty is not in their form, but their function. But like all man made machines they can and do malfunction, although in my experience not as often. Still like them though. The 9mm variations are probably the best of the breed. I find myself to be more accurate with a Glock 26 than a Glock 19. That strikes me as odd. That's my take on Glock.

I’m indifferent to them, I definitely don’t hate them but my G19 is gone, not because it was bad but because it just didn’t conceal as well for me as some other choices and I didn’t shoot it as well. It was definitely reliable but no more so than a couple of other pistols I have.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

I love Glocks. I don't own one anymore. I would choose Glock as my goto combat pistol. I am spending my money on revolvers. If I were a rich man, I would pick up the G36. (Santa! Can you hear me?)
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member
    I bought a Glock 19 about 1989, yea LONG time owner. After reading about the CZ P-01 I bought one. It is as reliable as the Glock, but is WAY more accurate. Glock sold, CZ stayed.
    smolck likes this.

I bought my Gen4 Glock22 back in Oct. 2010 and I do like mine alot. I carry it normally during daylight hours since it does not have night sights or a laser. I am not recoil sensitive so the 40 S&W doesn't bother me at all whether rapid fire or slow fire. The grip and texture is perfect for me and I have not had an ounce of trouble out of mine. When target practicing I usually shoot WWB 165grain FMJ and my normal carry loads are Federal 165 or 180grain HST JHP.

VIP Member
    I don't love or hate Glocks. They are simply tools, and darned good ones. I don't happen to shoot them as well as I do other firearms, so I retired mine. However, the attraction is still there. They are dead reliable, they are accurate enough for any combat situation, they carry easily, they have superior capacity, and the ugliness is an art form. When you factor in what Suarez is doing with the red dot on them, they are on the top of the pack.

All of that said, I've recently gone back to the past. My EDC is now an STI 1911 with 5 inch barrel. Sure, the capacity is low, it is heavy, has safeties that may be an issue for some. But I happen to shoot them better than anything else I've ever picked up (with the possible exception of the High Power which may fit even better). I decided that the possibility of a longer range shot was more of a possibility than needing 200 rounds in the magazine. Your situation may be different, or mine may change in the future.

In the end, we have to pick the tool that is best for us. My next purchase is going to be an M&P to see how that works. From what I've been told I may find the best of both worlds, but I'm waiting to see.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I will admit that I'm a big Glock fan. I'm not saying Glocks are perfect for everyone, but they suit me!

I have a G17 and a G26. I shoot them both equally as well. Never had any problems with either one. The 26 is my carry and the 17 is my house gun.
    Question Everything!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links