Glocks two camps love or hate

This is a discussion on Glocks two camps love or hate within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 I bought a Glock 19 about 1989, yea LONG time owner. After reading about the CZ P-01 I bought ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glocks two camps love or hate

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I bought a Glock 19 about 1989, yea LONG time owner. After reading about the CZ P-01 I bought one. It is as reliable as the Glock, but is WAY more accurate. Glock sold, CZ stayed.
    Also have a p01 and it has been tested in ways the Glock wouldn't make it. However, the Glocks record speaks for itself. You point and pull the trigger, they go bang.

But my LGS has a bunch of them for $400-$600 and for that I think I can find better CC pistols. But I have nothing against Glocks. I mean, why do we have to hate one gun and love another. Each one is DIFFERENT and isn't variety the spice of life (Except when it comes to wives)?

The only guns I hate and loathe are High Point.

2. Remove Ads

I don't hate them, but I can't hit a barn wall, from the inside, with one. I've tried, with several different Glocks, but they just don't fit me. I've got a number of friends who own Glocks and we shoot, a lot, here on my farm. I shoot most 1911s, revolvers and even most small pistols, like lcp's and Kel-tecs just fine. The only other gun I just never could shoot with any accuracy is the Kahr cw9, nice gun but just like with the Glocks , I shoot them everywhere but the center of the target, with most of them going low. I can shoot a Glock or the Kahr OK off a shooting bench, sitting with a sandbag rest, but offhand they just don't work for me, even after several 100 rounds. But back to the love/hate thing, I don't hate'em, there are just lots of handguns made that I shoot a lot better. If they fit you fine, I'm glad for you. But the part of the love/hate that rubs me is the real haters think they are just worthless and the hard core lovers think everyone who doesn't love them are just too dumb to realize how great they are. There's a reason so many different types of guns are made, there are a lot of different kinds of people in the world to fit.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Glocks are awesome. I have a G27, the 'baby' .40. It's easy to carry, powerful round, easy to maintain, accurate, and if I want to use it as a nightstand or car gun, I can put my 15 round mag in. I kid about my glock being ugly, and it is in a visual way I guess sort of like a black pig snout, especially with the crimson trace laser guard on it, but pretty is as pretty does.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

I don't hate Glocks but I sure dislike them. Every few months I shoot someone's and I'm reminded that I don't like the grip, don't like the ergonomics, don't like the sights, really dislike the trigger and it's ugly.

So I don't hate Glocks, but I sure hate the attitude of some glockaholics who think that Moses came down the mountain with the 10 Commandments and a Glock.
    Last edited by alienbogey; April 24th, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I am a Glock lover. I know it's man made so eventually it will fail. I know its not a tack driver for most. I know its grip design(the hump in the back) makes some people gag. I know some people think its uglier then sin. I know some people think its a badly designed brick. But,....... that still doesn't stop the fact that my Glocks have gone bang every time, I can hit center mass with almost every shot, when I put it in my hand it feels like it was made to be there, and the look of it makes me smile.

But yeah, it is a badly designed brick!! LOL
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have never owned a Glock, but I have shot a Glock 17 and it is extremely accurate and reliable. I will eventually add a Glock to my collection, but for now I am very pleased with my other guns.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Owned a Glock for a year. It was accurate and reliable. But I didn't find it to be anything exceptional otherwise. Odd, unnatural feeling in the hand, strange grip angle, marginally passable trigger, and too thick to be an easily concealed gun.

Overall I thought it was okay. Not exceptional or the end-all like some think. Just a decent contender. There are better choices out there.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I don't hate Glocks. Some of my friends shoot Glocks. They go bang every time and shoot accurately. I just do not have a need for one, at least not while CZ is making pistols.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Used to love...bought a Glock36...now hate.

Have a Sig 1911 RCS...love it. Never could hit anything with a Glock. The trigger sucks.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    LOVE ! I was a late convert to the Combat Tupperware, keeping my duty revolver until 2000. It was when a choice of a new FREE Glock 19 NOW or being forced to convert and BUY one later became an offer I couldn't refuse. I took the transition course and the rest is history. I think the G19,in particular, is the best 9mm platform in the world. I still love my Colts and carry my OM in the "cold"weather(I live in GA since '06),but the G19 or G26 are my primary EDC most of the year. I'll be adding an SP101 to the stable soon hopefully. Just my $.02 !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I'm in neither camp. Owned a G36 but sold it. I had problems with reliability with it and some Glock rentals I've tried.

It is a very reliable handgun for many. But, not for others. Like some said, the only way you'll know if a Glock is to your liking is to try them out.

For me, I've settled on S&W M&P for carry. Also planning to get a snub nose revolver in the near future.

There are many guns I will not buy, but do not hate.

I don't hate Glocks...I just don't like them. How can a person hate an inanimate object? I don't like the way they feel, I don't like they way I shoot them. If they work for you, knock yourself out...I couldn't care less what you buy or what you shoot. I think they are over rated, but I also think S&W, Harley Davidson, and Toyota is over rated. You should spend your money on what you want, and not worry about the opinions of others. There is only one gun that I know of that has lasted the test of time, and that is the 1911. After 100 years, if Glocks are still around and as "popular" as they are now you can dig me up and say "I told you so!" But I remember when the Beretta 92 was "the" gun...and I even remember when the Colt Python was "the" gun. And let's not forget all the other various revolvers that were "the" gun. There have been many that have come along, enjoyed rabid popularity, then faded to the background. They didn't go away, but they were no longer "the" gun to have.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

I like my Glocks. For the price and out of the box relibility, I think they're good to go. Plenty of parts, mags, etc to go around. Easy to service and clean. Hell it's only 500ish bucks.

Yes I have owned more models of firearms than I can remember. Now the only one I will take into a fight and carry on my side is a GLOCK!

Glocks are great...for someone else.

Glocks have brought a lot of folks into the shooting fraternity and will continue to do so. This is a good thing and I am grateful for it.

That said, I think that the Glock is the single most overrated firearm to ever hit the market. The Glock fanboys' strident preaching of the "gospel of Gaston" actually has a negative effect on many thoughtful folks.

I really, really don't like the trigger and want no part of it. I dislike plastic pistols and am capable of living out the remainder of my life without embracing guns made with plastic components. I've seen the Glock owners fiddling with their jammed Glocks at the range at about the same rate as any other semi-auto design.

The one thing that makes me most suspicious of the Glock though is its widespread adulation by the masses. Buying Glocks because they are so widely accepted and because everybody else is doing it is no good reason to acquire one. One is never shrewd to follow the crowd. The masses have no insights on making intelligent choices, whether it be entertainment, electing presidents, or selecting handguns.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links