MPA Protector 380 by Master Piece Arms a disappointment so far.

This is a discussion on MPA Protector 380 by Master Piece Arms a disappointment so far. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well here goes, I have had the MPA 380 for a couple of weeks now, I like the size and feel for a small 380. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: MPA Protector 380 by Master Piece Arms a disappointment so far.

MPA Protector 380 by Master Piece Arms a disappointment so far.

Well here goes, I have had the MPA 380 for a couple of weeks now, I like the size and feel for a small 380.

Range report, after about 20 rounds of FMJ I would come up with an empty chamber and have to rack another round in the chamber, however, the gun would eject a live round out when the empty was ejecting, at first I did not think that was possible, it happened at least 20 times. The range officer was the first one who noticed when I shot a live round was being ejected.

A call to Master Piece arms for info, I told them the slide was very weak, in fact when the gun is empty and the magazine is in the gun the slide will not return on its own. So they are shipping me new recoil springs, well at least I hope they are that was 10 days ago, and a follow up call on day 8 they said they would let me know what happened to the shipment.

So far customer service is not impressing me. I will post again when the new springs are here and another trip to the range.

2. Remove Ads

Please do post again as I was interested in one of those .380's after reading about them. Good luck!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

yes please let us know, I was also curious about this gun
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Never heard of them before? Hm. Googled it: looks tiny. Good luck.

{I'm very pleased with my KT p3at, pretty inexpensive weapon and very easy to conceal.}

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

With the number of manufacturers making pocket size 380's now a days there is no excuse for this. I have been preaching the NAA Guardians when they and Seecamp were the top contenders in this market. I would dump it as fast I could and if you really need a mouse gun buy one that actually has been proven to work. I have two Guardians, one in 32ACP and one in 380ACP, both don't see much use now, but they have always been 100% reliable with a wide choice of ammo. I hope you get it all worked out.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Good luck only problem I had was when I installed the rev b kit with the new trigger I could not get the gun back together. Took hours to figure out that the trigger pin floated and was sticking out too far. Customer service called the next day but I already figured out what went wrong. Really felt stupid. Please keep us posted of your progress about 165 rounds so far out of mine

Administrator
    Let's give the company a chance to make this right for the OP.
    They are an American Company producing a fully "machined from bar-stock" handgun.
    That is very rare these days.
    Don't be too very quick to slam them down into the ground.
    FYI ~ I was "lucky" enough to get my mitts on one of the very first little Seecamp pistols.
    And it didn't work very well either and it had to get sent back to Seecamp. It absolutely refused to feed any ammo brand.
    And also...regular gun cleaning solvent totally melted and warped the grips.
    But, Seecamp took care of it and after that it was a super great and 100% reliable little firearm.

I really WANT this company to make it and not fold up.

I hope it works out for you. If there's something I've learned over the past few months, its that tiny auto pistols are quite difficult to engineer and actually make properly in mass (that is, something that works reliably). Anyone who does so has accomplished something great.
    QKShooter likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    It would probably be a good idea to change the recoil spring often on this tiny pistol. As on most of the ultra light pistols, the spring takes a real beating, and these are especially small. A few hundred rounds may be the practical limit for them.

Yes, the manual for the Protector 380 recommends the recoil springs be replaced every 200 rounds.

Administrator
    That is a very true statement. Everything is far more critical. Rails need to be smoothly machined to cut down on friction. The breech face needs to be smooth. The magazines need to be very high quality. Feed ramps polished - etc.
    Slide & frame rail material & hardness need to be different in order to prevent galling during slide cycling.
    It would also be a bit easier to get feeding, functioning, cycling, etc. perfect if the manufacturer would limit the buyer/shooter to one ammo brand - ammo power factor - and bullet weight/bullet nose configuration but, (of course) they can't DO that.
    So....that means that the "recoil spring # weight" always needs to be a weight compromise in order to accommodate as many ammunition brands, bullet types & bullet weights as possible. There are other factors as well but, you already get the gist of my post I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I hope it works out for you. If there's something I've learned over the past few months, its that tiny auto pistols are quite difficult to engineer and actually make properly in mass (that is, something that works reliably). Anyone who does so has accomplished something great.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

UPDATE:
    Well I received the new recoil springs for the MPA Protector, the spring set is a spring inside of a spring, I first notice that the new springs are 1/2" longer than the old set. After installing the new springs I notice right away that these springs are much stronger, before with the old springs the slide would stick open getting caught on the the magazine follower, but not now it slams shut.

I hope to test fire the MPA Protector yet this week. I will do a follow up range report.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    UPDATE:
    Well I received the new recoil springs for the MPA Protector, the spring set is a spring inside of a spring, I first notice that the new springs are 1/2" longer than the old set. After installing the new springs I notice right away that these springs are much stronger, before with the old springs the slide would stick open getting caught on the the magazine follower, but not now it slams shut.

I hope to test fire the MPA Protector yet this week. I will do a follow up range report.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
    Please do so I am very curious, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Yes, the manual for the Protector 380 recommends the recoil springs be replaced every 200 rounds.
    This alone would make it a non-starter for me. That's just too high-maintenance.
    mitchellh likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    One technique that people who use ultra small pistols, (that require requent spring changes), adopt is to keep the "carry" spring seperate and not used in practice. This way it is always fresh and you need not worry how many rounds are on it. Your practice springs can be used until they fail... no sweat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links