Range Report: Taurus TCP .380

This is a discussion on Range Report: Taurus TCP .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My lady friend expressed interest in getting a handgun and accompanying me to the shooting range. Her sister is leaving this summer to move across ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Range Report: Taurus TCP .380

My lady friend expressed interest in getting a handgun and accompanying me to the shooting range. Her sister is leaving this summer to move across the country and she'll be living alone which is another reason she wanted to get her own gun. The first time we went to the range I let her shoot my S&W 642. Although she shot decently she didn't really care for it because the heavy trigger was just a bit too hard for to pull. She told me she wanted something that was easier to shoot, small, preferably a semi auto and "pretty".
    After doing a lot of research I decided to give the Taurus TCP a try. I know Taurus gets bashed a lot on internet forums but my only previous Taurus experience was a positive one. I've previously owned a PT111 and had zero issues with it. I ended up selling it to get the 642 I currently own. The reasons I chose it over the other .380's on the market were because it came with two mags, held the slide open on the last round and supposedly has a better trigger than most other .380s. Now, I did read a lot of negative comments about the TCP but they mostly appeared to be earlier production guns. Apparently Taurus fixed the problem(s) with the newer ones ending with a "B" serial number.
    My favorite LGS had 3 TCP models in stock; an all black one, one with a black frame with stainless slide and one with a black stainless slide with a baby pink frame. Needless to say I ended up getting the pink-framed one since it was the "prettiest" one. I also made sure the serial number ended in "B". I picked up 3 boxes of .380 ammo (Lawman, American Eagle and PMC) and was out the door. I surprised her with it when I showed it to her as she had no idea I was buying her the gun. She immediately fell in love with it since it was exactly what she wanted her gun to be.
    We ended up going to the range several days later and shot 100 flawless rounds through it. Even though it was the newer production model I still had some lingering doubts in the back of my mind due to all the negative posts I read online. Fortunately I seemed to have purchased a keeper because not only did it eat up and spit out every round it did it impressively. For such a small gun this thing is pretty accurate. Much more accurate than the P3AT I used to own without the teething issues I had and with a better trigger too. Most important of all my lady friend absolutely loves the gun and had a blast shooting it.
    The TCP exceeded my expectations so much I'm seriously considering buying one for myself.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't like all the Keltec ripoffs(LCP,TCP,IO Hellcat, etc).... but I feel like I've WANTED to like Taurus for a while (they have some nice looking semis, and inexpensive revolvers) so I'm glad to hear of a good report of one.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I picked up a TCP738 about a month ago. It has become my constant companion. I'm amazed at how easy it shoots. It seems to be on par with my G26 as far as felt recoil. And it just disappears in my pocket. All I want in a pocket pistol!
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Make SURE it functions reliably with one good brand of defensive ( hollowpoint ) ammo , then keep it loaded with that.

Make SURE she keeps it clean and lubed per the manual.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Make SURE it functions reliably with one good brand of defensive ( hollowpoint ) ammo , then keep it loaded with that.

Make SURE she keeps it clean and lubed per the manual.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Right now it's loaded with FMJ ammo. To be honest I'm not yet sold on using hollowpoints in such a short barreled .380. I'm more concerned with penetration than expansion with this gun.

I have had my tcp for quite some time and like it a lot. It is surprising how accurate it is for such a small pistol. It eats everything I feed it except for that cheap herters steel case ammo. even that cycled fairly well but one empty case did get stuck in the chamber and i had to use a pencil to push it out. I use the Aquilla hollow points for my carry round. They look more like a fmj with a hole cut in the front verus a proper hollow point with the serations to help with expansion. I figure I am looking more for penatration and if it expands at all that is just a bonus.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I love my little TCP, and it eats anything I feed it.

Mine is loaded with Gold Dots.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by JRW View Post
    Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Right now it's loaded with FMJ ammo. To be honest I'm not yet sold on using hollowpoints in such a short barreled .380. I'm more concerned with penetration than expansion with this gun.
    I carry FMJ in my .380 also for the same reason.

Taurus seems to be constantly underrated for some reason. My PT140 is an excellent gun, and I've yet to hear first hand about a major problem that Taurus didn't fix.

Glad you got a keeper for your lady friend. Now you just need to get your own, right?

Gave my 3AT the boot when I picked up the Taurus for my wife. She liked the TCP so much she gave up her S&W BG380. She never liked the BG because of the trigger so I took it and now everyone is happy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I don't like all the Keltec ripoffs(LCP,TCP,IO Hellcat, etc).... but I feel like I've WANTED to like Taurus for a while (they have some nice looking semis, and inexpensive revolvers) so I'm glad to hear of a good report of one.
    They're not any more ripoffs than the M&P and XD are to Glock. Or different makers of the 1911 clones for that matter. A good idea with proper execution from various sources provides competition to constantly innovate and update in order to drive the market forward.

I think some people on this forum need to upgrade their lexicon so that their statements aren't as inflammatory.
    sid1 likes this.

I bought a TCP a few months ago and I've had about the same experience as OP. Only a few hundred rounds threw it but no issues so far. It's my carry gun 90% of the time.

My other carry gun is a Pt111 that I have nothing but love for. >3500 rounds and only 1 issue. A FTE after 500 rounds of wolf. For the money it's very hard to beat taurus.

Finally someone who is not a Kel-Tec or Glock snob.....

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I currently have two primary CCW guns XD 40SC and a TCP 738 since I got my CCW (not long only a few weeks) I had only carried the XD40 once due to comfort. My plans were to carry the XD every day and the TCP only when something small is needed. It doesnt seem to be the case? I keep grabbing the TCP every day.
    I am not saying this is wont change. I do want to carry my XD more and I might when I find a better holister for the XD. But right now My TCP is comfortable. And I am very confident with its abilities to fire when I need it too.

Laz
    Finally someone who is not a Kel-Tec or Glock snob.....
    The idea of being a Kel-Tec snob is some what jarring to me. Seems a bit oxymoronic and I'm a fan of what they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links