barrel threading

This is a discussion on barrel threading within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just toying around with an idea here. Is it possible to make a threaded barrel for a gun that does not have one? ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: barrel threading

barrel threading

I was just toying around with an idea here. Is it possible to make a threaded barrel for a gun that does not have one? what I'm getting at is replacing the existing non threaded barrel (for a supressor) for a barrel that is threaded for a supressor. I could probably find a replacement barrel but wouldnt the length have to be diffrent for the adapter? and could one be made? I have a couple of guns I'd like to have threaded barrels on that are currently not available. Just an idea.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You are in luck Poppy. If you inqure at all the surrounding gunshops where you live, you'll figure out that I am the one that does them.
    Pm me with what you have. If you want to thread a barrell for a suppressor, just to be safe, you'll need the suppressor first to ensure that it fits properly on the gun. Not all suppressors have the same length of thread engagement and its important for proper fitup and to avoid baffle strikes. If you arent sure what you want, talk to me anyway. I'm a suppressor dealer too.

Most rifle barrels can be threaded. Many semi auto pistols can too...if they have a fixed barrel, like a Ruger or a Browning.
    Most semi auto pistols with removable barrels will need a longer barrel to accomodate the slide, but can be purchased.
    QKShooter likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the info, I may have to shop around for a barrel or two.I'll definetly be in touch though.I have a 1911 with a 5" barrel that I was kinda wondering about.

pistol.. not so much... a threaded pistol barrel is longer then a factory barrel.... rifle.. easy..
    Last edited by Ring; April 25th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.

I wonder if you could just use a hand-held thread cutter? I used one to thread a replacement bolt just a couple weeks ago and it only takes about 5 minutes. Of course, you would need an extended barrel and the right-sized cutter
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Senior Moderator
    Hand held dies are OK for threading a bolt but they really lack when threading a barrel and threads on a barrel need to be absolutley concentric.
    I have redone several barrels over the years that someone tryed to thread with a hand die and the threads went on crooked.

Threads that are not concentric and perpindicular to the bore can destroy high dollar suppressors. Not only that, but it can be very dangerous when a baffle acts as a bore obstruction. If you get lucky it just trashes out the suppressor, if you arent lucky it can trash out your gun.

Something else, while I am thinking about it. Hand dies use the outer diameter of the barrel to cut the threads and most bores are not concentric to the barrel. Its the very reason that lathes are used to do it correctly, so that you can index off of the bore, and cut the outer diameter concentric to the bore. Then you single point thread it and the threads will be concentric to the bore, resulting in good accuracy when suppressed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links