Taurus 1911 your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 your thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; who owns or have shot them? what do you think of them? i do not have a 1911 but might get one. i don't want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 1911 your thoughts?

who owns or have shot them? what do you think of them? i do not have a 1911 but might get one. i don't want to drop $1500 one either.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

I don't own nor have I shot one. They are supposed to be good for the money. Ruger is introducing a stainless one, the SR1911 and the videos and reviews that I have seen have peaked my interest. It will be totally a US made gun. Not even my Springer can claim that. It may be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    who owns or have shot them? what do you think of them? i do not have a 1911 but might get one. i don't want to drop $1500 one either.
    There Ok, just dont have the company warranty like springer...Springfield Would be a better bet like a loaded, they run round 750 to 850...I have a GI that i built to a RO=Ranger Officer before they brought it out..Now the New SR1911 is sweet..MSRP 799.00 but i figure they will go for 650 to 750...When they come out...(oh springfields RO,Loaded,Opt,TRP) are made in Ill.)
    (GI's are made in brazil)

Citadel Model 1911 Semi Auto Compact Pistol CIT45CSP, 45 ACP, 3 1/2 in, Checkered Wood Grip, Blue Fi If you looking for a 1911 on a budget, then look at Citadel..
    High standard 1911 High Standard Crusader Compact 1911 Pistol HSM1911OM, 45 ACP, 3.5", Wood Grip, Parkerized Finish, 6 (my buddy has this one, and have to say it a great shooter.)
    mine:)
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

I've got a PT1911.

It's served me very well; no hiccups of any kind. About 2-1/2 years and at least 2k rounds through it.

I haven't been carrying lately because of a holster malfunction, but I usually carry it year round.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've got a PT1911.

It's served me very well; no hiccups of any kind. About 2-1/2 years and at least 2k rounds through it.

I haven't been carrying lately because of a holster malfunction, but I usually carry it year round.
    Holster you say? www.adamsholster.com

Sorry for going off topic.
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    There Ok, just dont have the company warranty like springer...Springfield Would be a better bet like a loaded, they run round 750 to 850...I have a GI that i built to a RO=Ranger Officer before they brought it out..Now the New SR1911 is sweet..MSRP 799.00 but i figure they will go for 650 to 750...When they come out...(oh springfields RO,Loaded,Opt,TRP) are made in Ill.)
    (GI's are made in brazil)

Citadel Model 1911 Semi Auto Compact Pistol CIT45CSP, 45 ACP, 3 1/2 in, Checkered Wood Grip, Blue Fi If you looking for a 1911 on a budget, then look at Citadel..
    High standard 1911 High Standard Crusader Compact 1911 Pistol HSM1911OM, 45 ACP, 3.5", Wood Grip, Parkerized Finish, 6 (my buddy has this one, and have to say it a great shooter.)
    mine:)
    The Springfield Loaded I picked up at Christmas time last year is clearly stamped made in Brazil It is my understanding that almost all Springfield parts come from Brazil and while some are assembled in the USA most are assembled in Brazil at this time.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I've got the Taurus PT1911 stainless steel,I've had it about 5 months or so with abo[ut 300 or so rounds through it. I love mine,its one of my favorite guns. $575 before tax.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I"ve had one and love it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

jyo
    Personally, I come from a time when Taurus products were less then acceptable---in fact, except for the PT92 (Beretta 92 clone), they were crap! I understand that their quality has improved greatly, but I still choke at buying one. I recently picked-up a very slightly used SA "Loaded" Champion 4" stainless for a decent price and feel this pistol does pretty much everything I need from a 1911 type pistol.

Love mine! Never had a hiccup no matter what I feed it. I have others including a Kimber and a Colt and the Kimber had failures until I got about 500 rounds through it ( and Kimber customer service just told me to keep breaking it in! That didn't sit well...I expect a gun as expensive as the Kimber to fire right out of the box)...the Colt (1991) has always been reliable...but for the price of the Colt or the Kimber I think the best return on the dollar is the Taurus...It's the one I find myself carrying almost all the time...The finish ( mine is the blued model PT1911B) could be better...it is thin but I use the pistol and the wear spots don't bother me on this weapon...Hammer-forged -not cast- ordnance grade steel frames, slides and barrels makes it a good one to slowly (or not so slowly!) add the parts and pieces you feel like changing out if you like...I may do the trigger etc.., hammer and browns barrel bushing...but maybe not...I'll I've done is change the grips...it's a shooter...I would say IMO that it is probably the best value out there in a 1911 unless you've got lots to spend on one...and oh! A Life Time warranty...a real...life time..unconditional warranty...The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer!...some one will post that the customer service sucks, and maybe it used to, but the customer service is actually very good now even tho you will hear horror stories, most who have dealt with them in the last year report great service...personally I've never had a need to contact CS....

Sponsor
    I'm going to throw in on this even though I do not own the PT1911 my self. I have inspected several at different times over the last few years and would have to say that, for the money they are on par or above with any other 1911 offering at their price point. I have been told by one friend who owns one that his has been as reliable as his Loaded Springer though not near the quality in finished details. I do own a Taurus PT709b and have been happy with it's functional reliability and operation. There is an ongoing issue with the POA being 6" higher than POC at 20'. One trip back to Taurus. The repair ticket said "replaced" but did not say what. The SN was the same so I assume they replaced the front sight post. The pistol is still shooting low. I just got off the phone with Taurus's CS line and they offered to bring it in again but I asked if they would just send me the lowest front sight post available. The sight is shipping today. I would have to give the customer service a Thumbs up at this time. We'll see if this fixes the issue. At least they have been trying and and very quick about it. The turnaround on the warranty service was 5 days(including a weekend) and all on their dime.

Now that I've tooted Taurus's horn, I'm going to point out that Ruger is now offering an American made SR1911 at the same price point as the PT1911. It may be one of my next purchases, I just haven't decided if another gun or more ammo for the stock pile is up next.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Really hard to beat gun for the price i say go for it if you don't wanna spend $800 or more.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I will also add that I have the railed version. Which is a big pain to get holsters for, just a bit of FYI.

The railed Taurus 1911 is unlike any other railed 1911, so you can't get any old holster for it off the shelf.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The sides of the frame where the grips go are a little different on the Taurus 1911. There is more flat area of the frame visible at the front and rear edges of the grips. Raasco grips actually make special dimension grip panels that cover this flat area up on the Taurus 1911 so that it will look just like a true pattern 1911 in the grip area. Other than that, I have only heard good things about the gun.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've recently fired a PT1911, and I loved it. Looking to get one myself as soon as I can get the missus to promise not to shoot me with it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links