Nightstand Hand Gun What do You Use, Caliber, Brand?

This is a discussion on Nightstand Hand Gun What do You Use, Caliber, Brand? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am deciding between a 357, 9mm or 45acp for a night stand gun, I was wondering what you use and why you picked the ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Nightstand Hand Gun What do You Use, Caliber, Brand?

I am deciding between a 357, 9mm or 45acp for a night stand gun, I was wondering what you use and why you picked the gun and caliber you did. I am especially interested in how you see the duty of the nightstand handgun, also, do you have any accessories on it, extra magazines or speed loader etc...

I use a Springfield Armory 1911 in .45 for my night stand gun. This particular gun was purchased as a range gun/HD gun and not to be carried since I have smaller 1911's for that purpose, I started shooting with 1911's since day one and I can't shoot anything else the way I can one of these. I keep 4 spare mags loaded and one in the gun cocked and locked, the 4 mags might be overkill but in the rare event of an extended fire fight they'll be sufficient to get me to the long guns. I keep a flash light next to the gun, just a personal thing I don't need my light attached to the gun. No lasers or anything of that sort, plain GI sights I can point shoot just fine with it if necessary.

My night stand gun is a Glock 21 .45acp. Its completely stock(I'll be putting Mepro night sights on it soon) with a loaded mag in it and a loaded mag next to it. Also keep my SureFire right next to it. Next upgrade will be a TLR-1 to go on it. That way if I ever have to involve my non-shooting hand in the may lay and happen to drop my SureFire, I'm still not without the option of light.

I have yet to carry it but I believe I've found the right holster that will let me do such. Now I just gotta get it back from my mom!
    Last edited by GlockJS; April 24th, 2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: corrections
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

My EDC is a Glock-36 and I sometimes take my Ruger SP101 along for the ride, but my nightstand gun is my Glock-21 with the SureFire x300 hanging on...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    My nightstand gun is an Astra A-75 .40 cal. Along with it is a spare magazine and flashlight. The Astra is my first carry gun. She's old but she still puts then where I want them, as long as I do my part.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My nightstand gun is a Mossberg persuader. 8 rounds of 00 buck. I live alone, have a log home, and dont have any neighbors within 150 yards. I also keep one of my carry handguns on the main floor of my house... usually a J frame 38 special. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    My night stand gun is a Glock 23 with a S&W M19 in .357 close by keeping the 870 20 gauge company.
    glockstar likes this.
    SCGunLover1

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    My night stand gun is the same as my carry gun, glock 19 with one spare magazine and a set of truglo tfo sights. At night I put a weapon mounted light on it, but also have a pelican light next to the bed so if I'm investigating a bump in the night I'm not pointing my firearm at my kid getting a drink. If I identify a threat then the wml will be used.

It is my only firearm so it served multiple roles.

uploadfromtaptalk1303693639082.jpg

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My nightstand gun is my carry; Taurus 24/7 Pro 4" barrel in .45ACP. 12rd mag in the weapon, on in the pipe, 10rd backup close to hand. Also my Nebo light right beside it.
    My fiancee has my 'old' carry as a nightstand; EAA Windicator .357mag 2" barrel. Loaded with Federal Hydra-Shoks in .357mag, and a HKS speed-loader right beside it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

My night stand gun is a Glock 19 with trijicon night sights, and a few extra loaded magazines. I also have a 12 Gauge shotgun within arms reach too.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    Tom

"A free people ought... to be armed... "
    George Washington, 1790

NRA Endowment Member, CCRKBA Life Member, JPFO Life Member, GOA Life Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    My nightstand gun is a Mossberg persuader.
    You must have one huge nightstand!

My nightstand gun is my trusty S&W 66 with the 4" barrel, loaded with 357, of course. My Springfield Champion is usually in the drawer, too, since it's my EDC.

I use my G27 with a 15 round mag and a laser. I also have a New York reload, my 6 shot colt commando sitting nearby.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My nightstand gun is an Astra A-75 .40 cal. Along with it is a spare magazine and flashlight. The Astra is my first carry gun. She's old but she still puts then where I want them, as long as I do my part.
    had to look that up, nice looking gun... tell us more?
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Not in the nightstand but in a safe, but my go-to HD handgun is a Glock 17. It "retired" as a range rental and I adopted it. It has a Procyon WML and I keep a couple spare mags with it. I gave it all new springs, trigger job, and TFO sights. I'm considering a suppressor.

Why? Well I have a few other 9mm Glocks so it fit in to my system of spare parts and mags and etc. I believe in the 9mm with good ammo. I need the WML since I have kids (twins) and I may not have a free hand with moving them around. I had lots of time shooting the gun and it was a good deal, and the first 3 letters of the serial # is my name.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    I use a .40. Maybe if I were spending the money to do it over I'd go to either .45 or 9mm, probably 9mm.

Personal preference is the controlling factor I think. Shoot some of each caliber at a range before making a decision. And buy the same gun you liked at the range.

I made a big error purchasing a different make and model than what I shot at the range, though it was in the same caliber.

I quickly found out the hard way that the G27 is a much nicer gun to shoot than the one I bought.

Bottom line, no one can tell you what to pick. You have to try 'em out, and then decide.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links