Do you know S&W revolvers classic style like model 42 then >

This is a discussion on Do you know S&W revolvers classic style like model 42 then > within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the purpose of the metal that sticks out a little on the back upper part of the grip/handle? feel free to laugh cuz ...

Thread: Do you know S&W revolvers classic style like model 42 then >

Do you know S&W revolvers classic style like model 42 then >

What is the purpose of the metal that sticks out a little on the back upper part of the grip/handle? feel free to laugh cuz i don't know squat about guns

2. Remove Ads

on a 42, that's a grip safety, like on a 1911 and springfield xd.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

That means one has to put the squeeze on it and pull the trigger to get that baby to fire ~ So what do you think about that? pros and cons? Yesterday i was look'n at and fired a few S&Ws with exposed hammers and carry'n one cocked holstered with the strap between the hammer and the body i wonder how safe like will that strap always stay in place. This particular model 42 is an internal hammer so with that safety bar what do you think of the design/function/practical/useful or a waste???

The grip safety is not necessary, the Classic 42 and 40 series are just new productions of the older designs. The modern S&Ws have eliminated that feature for years in the J frames. The original 42s and 40s had a provision for pinning the safety in the off position. The only good thing about the Classic series is that there is no ugly internal lock hole in the gun. Internally, the piece that prevents the hammer from moving only has a short travel to clear the rear of the hammer. It is also easily adjusted by your gunsmith to ensure it disengages reliably with minimal movement.

If I understand you correctly, it is not common or accepted practice to carry an S&W revolver cocked regardless of the type of holster used.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

"Yesterday i was look'n at and fired a few S&Ws with exposed hammers and carry'n one cocked holstered with the strap between the hammer and the body i wonder how safe like will that strap always stay in place."

Please don't carry revolvers in this manner.

When carrying a revolver with an external hammer with spur in a holster with a retention strap, the strap is placed behind the hammer, not between the hammer and the revolver's frame. One of the most dangerous things that a person could do with a firearm would be to carry a loaded and cocked revolver in a holster. There is no justifiable reason to carry a revolver in such a manner.

Making proper use of the retention strap with a holstered revolver.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Originally that model was referred to as the “Lemon Squeezer” since you had to squeeze the grip to get it to fire. This design dates back to the late 1880s.

Facts About the Smith and Wesson Lemon Squeezer | eHow.com

The Smith & Wesson Centennial Models 40, 42, 640, 940, 442, 642, 340Sc, 342Ti and 340PD
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's good info: the one behind the counter said i could carry it with the strap between the body of the revolver and the hammer in the cocked position * Well i didn't like that idea much and he was serious or maybe DAlerious * Also for now i'll take the new/ole #42 off my short list since i'm look'n for my 1st bang,bang * Got to decide between DAO & DA/SA like 649 vs a 640 OR a 638 2.5brl vs a 642 2.5brl * Yea i'm strongly leaning towards an S&W and 2.5 barrel; now that i said that watch me end up with something completely different/thnx all

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "Yesterday i was look'n at and fired a few S&Ws with exposed hammers and carry'n one cocked holstered with the strap between the hammer and the body i wonder how safe like will that strap always stay in place."

Please don't carry revolvers in this manner.

When carrying a revolver with an external hammer with spur in a holster with a retention strap, the strap is placed behind the hammer, not between the hammer and the revolver's frame. One of the most dangerous things that a person could do with a firearm would be to carry a loaded and cocked revolver in a holster. There is no justifiable reason to carry a revolver in such a manner.

Making proper use of the retention strap with a holstered revolver.
    Now that is just beautiful!

Links