another kahr problem need advice.

This is a discussion on another kahr problem need advice. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; alright guys here is the deal. i bought a used P45 that had very few rounds thru it (less than 100) so i was expecting ...

alright guys here is the deal. i bought a used P45 that had very few rounds thru it (less than 100) so i was expecting the whole break in process. i put about 250 rounds thru myself so far.

im having extraction problems. i was shooting FMJ lawman ammo 230gr. i am occasionally getting a failure to extract on the first round (the slide wont even rack rearward) but mostly getting a failure to extract on the very last round of both mags. the gun tries to extract but the round gets stuck making it hard to pull the mag out. i have to clear the spent case then i can drop the mag.

i called kahr and they said that cause i bought it used it won't be covered under warranty (did not know this and won't buy a used kahr again). i can send it to them they look at it tell me how much $ to fix, i pay, they fix and send it back.

i was just on the kahr website and for all the extraction parts including the 1)extractor 2)extractor spring 3)front/back extractor pins it will only cost $24. i have a very good working knowledge of the gun and can completely disassemble the slide w/out a problem and replace those parts.

but should i even have to do this? is it a extraction component that is causing the failure? i don't want to have to ship the gun to kahr and then wait for the problem to be solved and pay for everything if i can just replace the components myself for a lot less.

should i try different ammo? more rounds? what should i do here? any smiths out there or someone with a similar problem could help me out.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

First I would give the gun a good cleaning and make sure it is assembled correctly. Then if possible try different magazine if you have more than one. Also try a different brand of ammo.
    I just had a lot of feed problems with a batch of ammo with my Para GI. Tried the ammo in a different gun same problem. Give the chamber a good scrubbing too.
    Semper Fi

You can throw parts at it, and if you take that approach I'd put in a new recoil spring as well. Super-compact .45s tend to beat up their recoil springs a lot earlier than the full-size models, and that could be messing up the slide timing relative to extraction. Unless you have detailed, intimate knowledge of your gun's history before you took ownership, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in "only shot 100 rounds."

Also, if you are using ProMags and not OEM Kahr mags, I can almost guarantee that's a major contributor to the problem.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Good comments from gasmitty on springs & mags. What method are you using to chamber the first round?

the book method. (rack to rear insert mag press slide release).

alright so the gun is super clean now, should i start with different ammo? the mags are factory i think (how can you tell)
    from the looks of the gun it did not have many rounds thru. i was skeptical about the 100 rounds too but it could not have been more than 500 max.
    if the different ammo don't work should i try the extraction parts?
    or am i better off sending to kahr and just fork over the $?
    i don't want to do that if i can fix myself. which like i said i have a very good working knowledge of the gun and can replace those parts with ease.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

If I were you I'd try my hand at resolving the issue myself, but I'm a tinker. I had a used PM9 that wasn't covered under the warranty either that developed a mag dropping issue. I replaced the mag release with a newer redesigned one and it cured the problem. These little guns tend to wear out parts faster than the big ones. As a reference, that little PM9 probably had over 5000 rounds through it before I sold it. I wanted to get rid of it before any major problems occurred. I didn't like that Kahr doesn't do much to support their guns with such a short warranty.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

i do want to fix it myself but where should i start? new parts or different mags/ammo?

Is the extractor stripping off the case rim, or is it staying on the rim, but with the slide not moving back enough to extract? If the former, then there is some chance you need a new extractor and extractor spring. If the latter, then I'm more inclined to suspect some or all of the following: Dirty chamber; limp-wristing; underpowered ammo. First round FTE is more likely a result of underpowered ammo or limp-wristng; last round FTE, with the extractor remaining engaged, can be a trickier problem, and is somewhat counter-intuitive. If the last round fails to extract and the extractor slips off the rim, then you may need a new extractor and/or spring, and you may need a new recoil spring and/ or stronger mag springs. The magazine itself is not a likely suspect in any of these, but stranger things have happened.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    i do want to fix it myself but where should i start? new parts or different mags/ammo?
    I should start with the easiest one: different ammo and different mags. Starting to change parts without knowing what the problem is might not be very smart. I should also change the recoil spring, they are cheap and it will not harm no matter what.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm going to try the extractor parts and some different ammo. The parts will only be $24 and it can't hurt. I'll post my results. Thanks for the replies

Links