is the xdm worth the extra money? - Page 2

is the xdm worth the extra money?

This is a discussion on is the xdm worth the extra money? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, the biggest problem the original poster has here is figuring out what he wants. He first says that he wants a .45, but then ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: is the xdm worth the extra money?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Man, the biggest problem the original poster has here is figuring out what he wants. He first says that he wants a .45, but then compares the quite large XDM 45 with a subcompact 3" Kimber.

He then says in his next post that the 45 XDM will be for home defense, and that the other guns he is considering buying are a J frame S&W and a Ruger LCR, which are both small revolvers. So is he looking to buy two new guns perhaps?

Finally, in his third post he nows says that he will consider a XDM 9mm compact for CCW, even though he mentions that he is currently happy carrying a Glock 36.

I honestly cannot come up with any recommendations, because jglocke is literally all across the entire spectrum of handguns here.

Does he want a new home defense gun? Does he want a new carry gun? ??? What caliber does he want?

What is he looking for that his 3 Glocks currently don't provide?

I think that we need much clearer guidance from the OP of what his goal here is in buying a new handgun. This discussion seems way too discombobulated at this point.

Back to his original consideration of the XDM 45, I would say that another alternative to consider for it would be the S&W M&P 45, which is a stainless steel gun:

XD compared to the XDM in any caliber, YES it is worth the extra money, and I wish I had spent it knowing what I know now.

For me, the take down lever and slide release on the XD have sharp corners, whereas the XDM is rounded. I did not notice it until I tried to shoot an USPSA match with it. I found the corners rather painful with my thumbs forward grip, and could not find a work around. (XD 40 - 4", 5 mags (15), 2 mag carriers, 2 holsters, case...150 rounds fired FOR SALE).

I would have also preferred a shorter trigger reset and lighter or adjustable trigger pull, but I probably would have gotten used to it. Neither is available on the XD or XDM.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Lance, you are correct. I have been all over the place on the board here. On my original post, I was looking at the XDM 45 for my house, and the Kimber as another carry option. To sum it up, I am looking to buy additional guns for both home and other carry options besides just the G36. As you can tell, I am having trouble deciding which ones to get. I have not consisered the M&P 45, it sure does look nice. I am going to the range in a few days and I think the best thing for me to do is rent all the before mentioned guns and go from there. Thanks all for your input..

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    XD compared to the XDM in any caliber, YES it is worth the extra money, and I wish I had spent it knowing what I know now.

For me, the take down lever and slide release on the XD have sharp corners, whereas the XDM is rounded. I did not notice it until I tried to shoot an USPSA match with it. I found the corners rather painful with my thumbs forward grip, and could not find a work around. (XD 40 - 4", 5 mags (15), 2 mag carriers, 2 holsters, case...150 rounds fired FOR SALE).

I would have also preferred a shorter trigger reset and lighter or adjustable trigger pull, but I probably would have gotten used to it. Neither is available on the XD or XDM.
    Springer Precision has replacement parts that will shorten up the reset a bit more. The XDM / XD does have the capability to be improved upon, but not as much as some other models. I sill find the M&P with Apex parts to be quite the package, almost 1911 like.

Thanks for the head up JD.

The XD is going away to fund my new Baby Eagle Full size Poly sometime in May/June.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links