is the xdm worth the extra money?

This is a discussion on is the xdm worth the extra money? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been debating on getting an xdm 45 or spending the extra money and buying a Kimber 1911 with a 3 inch barrel. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: is the xdm worth the extra money?

is the xdm worth the extra money?

I have been debating on getting an xdm 45 or spending the extra money and buying a Kimber 1911 with a 3 inch barrel. I know Kimber makes a fine gun, but the xdm is only a few hundred dollars less for a being a polymer gun. What to do....

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I have and XDM-9 and I'm pretty fond of it. I like it more than a standard XD, but the XDM could have been better in the trigger dept. Being in the Gulf Coast, a smaller gun may be a better choice, but I would not choose a Kimber in a high humidity area as there have been lots of rust issues with Kimber's barrels in the past. If I were to choose a Kimber, I'd be sure that either it has a stainless barrel (some models do, others do not, the catalog has a list) or treat the barrel with either Flitz on or some other protectant (I hear Renaissance Wax works very well) or have the barrel refinished in NP3, Ion Bond, melonite etc. etc. In all honesty, I'd probably be thinking Glock 36 for high humidity carry duty if I wanted a small .45ACP.

VIP Member
    I have the XD-9 and waited for the XDm-45 to come out. Glad I did, it is a fine firearm never failed.

I have the XDsc and Its one of my favorite guns

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    I have the XDsc and Its one of my favorite guns
    Ditto!
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

JD, I did not think a gun that costs as much as Kimber would have rusting issues. Xdm 45 for house defense it is then. I have a Glock 36 for my main carry ccw with a smart carry holster and a super tuck holster on the way. I just got my carry license a few months ago so I have not experienced the heat factor with my current set up. I have looked at a j frame s&w and the lcr but I need to shoot them before I make a decision on which one to buy. Thanks for the feedback. Jeff

I CCW with an XDM compact and im very happy with it.

I have a g17 and a g19 but I held the xdm's the other day and I was amazed how much better the xdm felt in my hand. Maybe I will sell one of my glock 9's and get a xdm 9 compact for cc.
    AZDaven likes this.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    You should read the other Kimber Threads on this Forum. Opinions tend to be about 60% to 70% negative. If you must have a 1911, see the Colts or Springfields, also the Sigs.

There is no comparison between the 2. The XDM will work everytime, with anything you put through it, right out of the box. I have a XDM 4.5 in 9mm and a Glock 26. Before this one I had a XD SC .40 for 1 1/2 years or so with zero malfunctions.

Have you seen the Outdoor Channel? They did a long term test on an XDM and you would not believe the torture tests they put the gun through, buried it in mud, dragged it for miles from a rope tied to a truck, and lots of other tests like that, the gun worked every time. The difference is night and day when it comes to reliability.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    The difference is night and day when it comes to reliability. Look at their Solo. They just came out with it, and it is already discontinued it. .no quality control.
    Is there any solid information on the discontinuance of the Solo? I've seen this topic pop up a time or two, but have seen nothing factual supporting the claims. Is this just hearsay or is there something to it?

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Is there any solid information on the discontinuance of the Solo? I've seen this topic pop up a time or two, but have seen nothing factual supporting the claims. Is this just hearsay or is there something to it?
    I deleted this comment out since I can't remember where I read it. It might just be a rumor.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    My XDM is my duty weapon, I have had zero failures for the last 400 rounds out of it with any ammo imaginable and I absolutely love the feel of it on my side in leather. You will not be sorry with one. Mine is a .40 caliber
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

The XDm was just so much more comfortable in my grip than the XDsc, I couldn't see paying less for a gun that I wouldn't be totally happy with, knowing the XDm felt better. Long sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I believe Kimber stopped production until they could get their redesigned mag catches in. I don't think they've completely discontinued the Solo.

I have the XDm compact and rapid access (my wifes) to the XDsc both in 9mm. I did a lot of plinking with both and both felt good but the XDm was a better fit for my hand (size 16 wedding band) and felt just a little smoother. Same reasoning for my wifes choice her hand (size 5 ring) just fit the XD better. We have had zero malfunctions with both. I have had the XDm's sight replaced and my wife had some trigger work done on her xd neither was necessary but we got a great deal from a neighbor who is a gunsmith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links