New member please help

This is a discussion on New member please help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of the 2 you mentioned I would pick the Smith and Wesson. It's been around a while and I hear they are pretty reliable. The ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New member please help

Of the 2 you mentioned I would pick the Smith and Wesson. It's been around a while and I hear they are pretty reliable. The LC9 is pretty new on the block and while I'm interested in one I want to wait until the bugs are worked out. My best recommendation, and you may not want to hear this, is the GLOCK 19 or 26, if they fit your hand they are better than sliced bread.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

2. Remove Ads

If this is your first and only pistol, I would get something compact, but large enough to shoot a lot comfortably. Between the two you mentioned, I'd go with the M&P9c. I recommend the Ruger SR9c as well. The grip is a little slimmer than the m&pc, so it conceals very easily, and is a great range gun as well. It's also less expensive than the M&P. I carry one every day.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Of the 2 you mentioned I would pick the Smith and Wesson. It's been around a while and I hear they are pretty reliable. The LC9 is pretty new on the block and while I'm interested in one I want to wait until the bugs are worked out. My best recommendation, and you may not want to hear this, is the GLOCK 19 or 26, if they fit your hand they are better than sliced bread.
    wow, it took until post 16 for somebody to use the "G" word LOL

my vote would be the ruger
    Last edited by paullie; April 26th, 2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: because i can

The LC9 for pocket carry and the M&P for an all-over great gun. Got my M&P 9mm C recently and just ordered night sights for it--- should be really "just what the Dr. ordered" for a reliable, well made gun with a great history behind it. The LC9 is just slightly bigger than the LCP .380, which I have and like for the pocket, but if I would choose just one or the other, it would be the S&W. Welcome to one great forum!
    Philly Boy in Cincinnati.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Someone already mentioned that these 2 guns fall into different categories. If you were looking for a Ruger that is similar to the M&P9c then you should be looking at the SR9c. I would take a serious look at the SR9c....amazing how concealable it is for having a 17+1 capacity.

Maybe if los sees this he'd be kind enough to throw one of those handy charts up....?
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Only you can decide what works for you. Both of the guns you mentioned should give you years of service. A 9mm is not considered a mouse gun.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I am now also considering the smith and wesson bodyguard automatic. This is my favorite looking gun of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by parkersdad View Post
    I am now also considering the smith and wesson bodyguard automatic. This is my favorite looking gun of all of them.
    Whoa, whoa you're lowering your standards (not knocking S&W, but this is a .380 not a 9mm). Looks should be among the least of your selection criteria.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Actually this gun feels the best in my hand.

+1 for the M&P. I love my 9c. Planning to get a 40c soon.

Like others said, the LC9 is new and is only starting to build its track record. Off to a good start though.

Best to test them out first hand. That will help tons.

Quote Originally Posted by parkersdad View Post
    Hello guys!!!... I have one question that I am needing help with and I keep going back and forth on an answer in my head. I think I have it narrowed down to two models, the new Ruger LC9 or the Smith and Wesson MP9c...
    I hate it when someone asks about a choice between two guns, and a bunch of people jump in with recommendations for a piece that was NOT one of the ones that the OP asked about, but I'm gonna do it anyway...

Look real hard at a Kahr CM9. I'm biased, because I just got mine and really love it. I don't think it can be beat for a small CCW. I'm a big fan of Rugers, so I though I had to have an LC9, but then the CM9 came out, and the rest is history...

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrinblujns View Post
    I can tell you they are both guns...
    Can't argue with this one!!!

I am back leaning towards the lc 9. I set out to get a concealed weapon and that's what I should do. I will eventually buy a full size m&p.

Kilowatt3: I am still investigating to find out who stole my adj.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links