New member please help

This is a discussion on New member please help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guys!!! I have been reading around the forums for a couple of weeks now and this seems to be a great place to hang ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New member please help

New member please help

Hello guys!!! I have been reading around the forums for a couple of weeks now and this seems to be a great place to hang out. I have one question that I am needing help with and I keep going back and forth on an answer in my head. I am looking to get a concealed carry gun. I have a 9MM Makarov but the ammo is hard to find in some of the areas I go so I wanted one more pistol. I think I have it narrowed down to two models, the new Ruger LC9 or the Smith and Wesson MP9c. Can someone help me with my decision please? The only reason I am leaning towards the MP9c is it is stainless and can be shot heavily. I read all the time that the mouse guns will not last as long a a normal pistol. Is this true and if so why? By the way I am a big time hunter so I am not completely stupid with guns, the ones I use mostly are long and in 300 mag. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

I can tell you they are both guns. I have a full size M&P9 and my son has the 9c well made and reliable. I also have a Ruger SR9c. it is my every day carry. Also very reliable. It is more concealable than the M&P. The LC9 you are looking at is even smaller. I and most everyone here will tell you to go to a range where you can rent these guns and handle them and fire them. Comfort and the way they shoot for you will help you make up your mind.

As for shooting heavily they will both take it.If you wear it out new parts are available. Shoot on.

And welcome aboard.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Out of your two, i would go with the Ruger. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Senior Moderator
    I have a 9c (well, my wife does - she co-opted it). It's an excellent pistol.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Ruger LC9 is fairly new out, but is fairly similar in size to a Kahr CW9. It would conceal better than the S&W. Why not consider looking at the Kahr CM9 ? Same thing as a PM9 but build quality of the CW series. Should be price comparative to the LC9 but smaller than the LC9 in the grip length.

See if you can try a PM9 and then you'd know what a CM9 would be like. Essentially the same gun. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    The M&P line of pistols are very good. I would strongly consider one if I was in your shoes.
    I will throw in here another pistol for you to check out. I very much like my Kahr CW9. If you are looking for a dedicated CCW pistol it's worth a serious look.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I own the M&P9c. Love it. Small enough, but still big enough to get nice controlled shots. Feeds everything, shoots accurately. No malfunctions so far.

Got mine on now with a Fist #1. Good combination.

Only owned an LCP. Never LC9. If they are similar I am not interested. It just didn't do it for me. Didn't like the trigger, and it was too small. Could barely hold it. Something about it didn't seem solid either.

I've always been a fan of S&W, so I would go with the M&P. If you are just looking for something for home/personal defense, I would also consider the S&W Sigma or SD9. I bought the Sigma specifically because it has a much harder trigger pull and no external safety. I KNOW nothing is going to put 10lbs of pressure on my trigger without me knowing about it before hand.

that's a tough decision, they are both good guns, If I had to pick one I'd go with Ruger.

You guys sound like me, Ruger no S&W. Thanks for all of the replies. Some of you may knock me for this but I will only consider guns built in the US. As bad as our economy is right now I would rather help fellow Americans and keep the money local. By the way my Makarov was given to me by my brother for a birthday present. Thanks again guys. I am still reading and listening.

Quote Originally Posted by parkersdad View Post
    You guys sound like me, Ruger no S&W. Thanks for all of the replies. Some of you may knock me for this but I will only consider guns built in the US. As bad as our economy is right now I would rather help fellow Americans and keep the money local. By the way my Makarov was given to me by my brother for a birthday present. Thanks again guys. I am still reading and listening.
    S&W is american owned and made.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Ok So I was the one who introduced the M&P line up to my family about 2.5 years ago when I bought My M&P40 full size... since then My dad has bought an M&P9c, My uncle has bought an M&P9c, My boss bought an M&P9 full size, and my girlfriend has bought an M&P9c...

NO MAJOR PROBLEMS with any. everyone only has good things to say about them. I have over 2600 rounds through mine alone.. reliable as any top of the line gun.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    smith and wessons are made in the USA, they even say made in the USA on them
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

The two guns are in different fields of the CCW game.

The M&P 9C is just the compact version of the full-size M&P 9. So it is still kind of wide but you get the double-stack worth of ammo...you can probably only carry it IWB, OWB, Ankle or Belly/Shirt/Etc...no pocket carry.

The LC9 is basically a size-up from the LCP. Single-stack and meant to be carried either in the pocket or whatever other carry way you deem appropriate...i.e. it is significantly smaller/easier to conceal.

It really depends on how you intend to carry...I would suggest finding someone local with a LCP and a Compact to see if you can determine what you will most likely enjoy carrying more. I also would like to make a shout out for either the Kahr CW9 or CM9...I typically carry a CW9 in my pocket.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by parkersdad View Post
    I understand your thoughts on the "Buy American" idea, but in reality your local gunstore, the internet site, the aftermarket employees, the distributer, etc., are probably all Americans and depend on that "foreign-made" firearm for their incomes. How many Americans depend on that paycheck from Toyota or Kia? A lot, I bet.

As for the pistol OP mentioned, the LC9 has caught my interest. I've been highly pleased with past Rugers, and the small 9mm is definitely on my radar.
    joker1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links