Thinking of a Springfield EMP 9mm

This is a discussion on Thinking of a Springfield EMP 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was considering one of these a couple of years ago but found a number of negative threads concerning it. Did some more browsing last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a Springfield EMP 9mm

I was considering one of these a couple of years ago but found a number of negative threads concerning it. Did some more browsing last night and it seems that Springfield has the bugs worked out of it.

Got totally turned off about the Kimber Solo after reading 90 % negative threads about it and after actually trying one out last week. It just did not work.

I have some really neat Sigs (original 228, and 239 in 9mm and several others in .380, .40 and .357 Sig) and actually handled a P290 yesterday.

I left the store yesterday (after handling the P290) with sort of an empty feeling; or "HO HUM!!", you know what I mean.

Did buy a LC9 Ruger last week just to try it out and that little bugger really works.

After paging through some of my old magazines last night, I started to read up and do some internet searching about the EMP 9mm. Boy, this is really a classy looking gun with a neat production story (you know, starting from scratch/blank piece of paper, etc.).

I sure would like to hear about any first hand/owner experience on this gun since I am about to call Springfield and place an order.

Thanks ahead of time for the info.

Trooper Joe

I recently bought a used springfield emp 9mm. The gun cycled every round I shot through it without a problem. I was however having issues with the pistol going into battery when loading a new mag. Luckily for me the gun shop I purchased from has great customer service and had their gunsmith look at it. It turns out the ejector needed to be tuned. The ejector was actually coming into contact with the round at the top of the magazine when it was inserted. this contact was causing extra friction and preventing the slide from going into battery. The ejector was also not allowing me to eject live rounds as they would get hung up in the gun. After I got the gun back from the gunsmith I shot 100 rounds of WWB 115gr and Remington UMC 115gr flawlessly as well as some speer gold dots.

I've had a EMP-9 for a few years. It's great. A very easy gun to OWB or IWB. I'm having some hip pain so haven't been carrying it lately. I've had no trouble with mine from day one. It's a very accurate gun and I feel very confident with it. I think it's the perfect belt carry gun. You'll love it, if you get one. Good luck.

I have an emp 9mm... love it. I've put about 1200 rounds through it.
    Easily the favorite among the handguns I own.
    Great trigger. Excellent accuracy, ergonomics and eye appeal.
    I highly recommend it. And btw, you can't beat Springfield's CS.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    I recently bought a used springfield emp 9mm. The gun cycled every round I shot through it without a problem. I was however having issues with the pistol going into battery when loading a new mag. Luckily for me the gun shop I purchased from has great customer service and had their gunsmith look at it. It turns out the ejector needed to be tuned. The ejector was actually coming into contact with the round at the top of the magazine when it was inserted. this contact was causing extra friction and preventing the slide from going into battery. The ejector was also not allowing me to eject live rounds as they would get hung up in the gun. After I got the gun back from the gunsmith I shot 100 rounds of WWB 115gr and Remington UMC 115gr flawlessly as well as some speer gold dots.
    And It should be ejecting the empties in a neat little pile about 3 feet back and 3 feet over, at least it did when I test fired it Glad to hear it's working good for ya.

One of these is in my future within the next year.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Great Gun. If you have an issue, SA will fix it and have it back to you in no time. Mine had some issues at first, SA emailed me a label and one week later it was back in my hands, all fixed, polished, and working slick and smoooooooth. It's worked flawlessly since then. I want to send them all of my guns now to work over.
    I wouldn't trade mine.

Shoots great, great accuracy, handling and reliability.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I purchased mine a while back and it is my absolute favorite gun in my collection. I got mine online for a good price and when I received it, I noticed the front trijicon sight wasn't glowing in the dark as it should. I contacted SA and they had me ship the slide only directly to them. They told me their turnaround time was 3-4 weeks minimum in the shop at that time. However, I got it back within 2 weeks with new front sight.

It has performed flawlessly. Super accurate and very reliable. Easy to carry and conceal. Light enough I don't notice it when wearing in a belt holster. And I love shooting this pistol. I had never seen one until I went to the range with a buddy who had one. I soon as I shot it, I knew I had to have one as it is the sweetest shooter I have.

I hope your experience is at as good as mine, if not better.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

The EMP is a great gun and I almost bought one quite a few times. However there were a few things that kept me from making the purchase. They are definitely pricey but worth it as they were designed from the ground up for the 9mm/40SW. Unfortunately that special size also makes custom parts hard to find if you want to customize it. Also, its a short slide with a grip length that is virtually the same as a bobtailed fullsize, so you dont' gain much concealability there. Also 9 rounds of 9mm versus 7-8 of 45 is quite a tradeoff when you don't gain much concealability.

But I may own one later, its just not for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
    After paging through some of my old magazines last night, I started to read up and do some internet searching about the EMP 9mm. Boy, this is really a classy looking gun with a neat production story (you know, starting from scratch/blank piece of paper, etc.).
    Yeah - that's some interesting marketing from Springfield. If that's the case, how come you can hold one up next to a Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm, and they look like they were built on the same equipment in the same factory?

Perhaps Springfield Armory's "blank piece of paper" was copy paper laid over a Kimber design sheet.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 28th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.

I picked up my 9mm EMP last week and hit the range today. 325 rounds of 115 and 124gr FMJ fed flawlessly during breakin. I did have 1-2 FTFs per magazine with Federal 124gr HST so I'll have to try some Gold Dot or other JHPs. The pistol was way more accurate than I am and I'm extremely impressed. It's quickly become one of my favorites along with my M&P9c and 1911 45acp. I can't comment on how it is to carry as I don't have my permit yet.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I have an emp 9mm... love it. I've put about 1200 rounds through it.
    Easily the favorite among the handguns I own.
    Great trigger. Excellent accuracy, ergonomics and eye appeal.
    I highly recommend it. And btw, you can't beat Springfield's CS.
    +1 to this. I love mine and it sits in a stable of nice guns but comes out almost every trip to gun range. Nice shooter. Nice looker.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I considered buy one a month or so ago. I also looked at the STI 1911 9mms. All were pretty pricey. For whatever reason, maybe the price, I went with the Kahr K9. It's all SS and is 7+1 DAO.

I have the Kimber version in .45(UC II) and love it...only because I am a .45 kinda guy. Was originally looking to get a Springfield but ended up with Kimber because I was not able to find the Springfield version. Shoots like a dream!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgelj View Post
    The EMP is a great gun and I almost bought one quite a few times. However there were a few things that kept me from making the purchase. They are definitely pricey but worth it as they were designed from the ground up for the 9mm/40SW. Unfortunately that special size also makes custom parts hard to find if you want to customize it. Also, its a short slide with a grip length that is virtually the same as a bobtailed fullsize, so you dont' gain much concealability there. Also 9 rounds of 9mm versus 7-8 of 45 is quite a tradeoff when you don't gain much concealability. But I may own one later, its just not for me right now.

^^^I agree with bold above^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most likely a great shooter, but have not considered it for the too few rounds it holds, compared to what else is available.

You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of
    brass." - Trooper M. Padgett
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links