Range Report -- CZ P01 9mm compact (ongoing)

This is a discussion on Range Report -- CZ P01 9mm compact (ongoing) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; RANGE REPORT #7 for the CZ P-01 9mm November 4, 2006 Reliability -- One jam (FTF) across 300 rounds fired, today. Total rounds fired to-date ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Range Report -- CZ P01 9mm compact (ongoing)

RANGE REPORT #7 for the CZ P-01 9mm

November 4, 2006

Reliability -- One jam (FTF) across 300 rounds fired, today. Total rounds fired to-date is now up to 2786 + 300 = 3086. Five failures in 3086 rounds, for a 99.84% reliability rate.

• Goal Today -- Limp-wrist day. Purposely attempt to jam the gun, to see how well it handles this problem.
    • Initial Cleaning -- Full field strip and clean, then re-oil and re-grease with Militec-1. A drop of oil on the sear area and alongside the trigger "arms" inside the frame. A daub of grease on the slide rails. Left frame upside down for 10mins to "drain" the worst of the Militec, which seems to be an awfully thin oil ... as it loves to migrate. Spent awhile wiping up the excess. One drop in the sear area is too much. Hm. Ran a few patches through the barrel, then brass brush, then a couple patches. Lightly oiled with Militec. Took the microfiber cloth I'd been using to wipe up the oil and used it to wipe the feed lips and followers of all magazines. Squeaky clean.
    • Shots -- 300 rounds of Remington/UMC 115gr FMJ range ammo, today. Limp-wristed about 80% of all shots, to see whether I could get anything to fail. Everything was at 50ft, today.
    • Trigger Action -- Perfect, as always. It's a bit smoother than the last session, I think. Like as not, over the next 3000 rounds or so, I'll see the weight of the pulls ease up a bit. Should settle into a very nice groove.
    • Ejection -- I swear that every casing is landing on top of the same 1' circle, every time. These things are really getting flung briskly & reliably. That's a good thing.
    • Cycling -- Perfect, as always. Smooth rails, smooth feeding. Interesting how the Remington/UMC range rounds definitely feel a bit "grittier" during cycling than, say, last session's DoubleTap rounds. Since there are now zero issues with the gun, it's interesting to be able to feel these slight differences in the ammo.
    • Aim -- At 50ft, slow/steady shots were mostly within a single hand span, and rapid-fire strings were within two hand spans. While limp-wristing ~80% of all shots. Not too shabby, for a little ol' 9mm.
    • Jams/failures -- One, which I definitely caused via the purposeful limp-wrist goals of today's session. Probably shouldn't add this to the tally of failures (5 so far), but I will. That was the goal, to see if it could withstand deliberate non-concentration on grip strength, etc.
    • Reliability -- 300 rounds today, added to the previous 2786 = 3086, with five failures, so 99.84% reliability. Which includes four issues that were induced. Pretty darned reliable.
    • Magazines -- Well, in the 7 mags I brought to the range, I think they're beginning to feel easier to load the ammo into the mags. The springs might be starting to feel the pain of 3000+ rounds. After another few sessions (1500-2000 rounds or so), I'll go through all of the mags and replace the springs with the Wolff +5% units, as well as a couple of followers that don't seem to cycle as smoothly as the others.
    • Cleaning after the Range -- Not yet, as tomorrow will likely include another session.

No photos today.

Heard from Kevin at K&D Holsters that the P01's Laredo Defender will soon be completed. As well, it will include a couple double-mag pouches.

BTW, I saw a gent with a KelTec S2000 9mm. It was quite the tack driver. He was punching nice, 2" diameter holes in the paper target at 50ft, with fairly quick strings of fire. Not a single jam, across what I would guess to be ~500 rounds while I was there. Very hot alongside the barrel. Light. Interesting little unit.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 4th, 2006 at 10:14 PM. Reason: a spellin' fool
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for another stellar report

Just might have to add a CZ to the stable one of these days! (Well - I'm not counting my CZ-52!)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    While I was privvy to the information on the P-01 as it developed and actually named the gun for them. I was very surprised to see them use the P-01 designation, and to see just how well they did with the production pieces.

Getting one of if not the very first into the USA for sale.

My P-01 got Hakans (Xtreme Blackout series) and PT-Nites at the start.

Reliable in the exteme, but not as superbly accurate as my well worn longer barreled Pre-Bs. The ability for a tactical light was there and the gun carried well.

The arrival of the RAMI put the P-01 on the shelve for me.
    RAMI is as accurate (in my hands) and quite a bit smaller.
    with outstanding triggers.

I also detested the decocker. Others who shot it really liked the feature,
    and were thrilled with the ergonomics and performance.

Neither fish nor fowl for me. Should someone want a decocker CZ that is the perfect size for ccw or uniform duty, the P-01 will not dissapoint.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Enjoyable range reports.......a couple of questions for you though:

1) You mention that you requested the trigger work to come out at 8#/4#. Any idea what the trigger pulls were like stock? I've seen people say that the DA trigger was 12 pounds or more. Could that be right?

2) Were there any low-mount night sights (or regular sights) available for the gun?

3) Does Matt Mink have a standard pricing for the work he does - say for trigger work or sight install? I was trying to get a ballpark figure as to what that work may run. Or should I just check with him directly?

Thanks in advance for the info.

1. Trigger work was done to 8#/4#. The DA was a bit heavier, yes, but the SA was originally a big lighter (near to 3#). For a carry gun, though, I prefer 4#-ish.

2. Lo-mount sights -- didn't consider any. Wanted the Trijicon 3-dot tritiums.

3. Pricing for gunsmithing work -- As it can be highly variable depending on the gun and what's desired, definitely check with the gunsmith. I think Matt has some standards he follows, but then every job's a bit different. On mine, I wanted a through going-over, on the gun, as it is new and the first time in the shop. I wanted it coming out with all contact surfaces properly tuned, as required. Ended up it didn't need so much as originally feared, so that freed up cash for the sights.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RANGE REPORT #8 for the CZ P-01 9mm

December 2, 2006

Reliability -- Zero jams across 100 rounds fired, today. Total rounds fired to-date is now up to 3086 + 100 = 3186. Five failures in 3186 rounds, for a 99.84% reliability rate.

• Goal Today -- Light day. With temps around 35*F, I'm feeling slow and kinked. Time to work out some of the kinks.
    • Initial Cleaning -- Full field strip and clean, then re-oil and re-grease with Militec-1. Oil on the internals; grease on the rails. Didn't touch the magazines, but they'll need a good scrubbing before the next range session.
    • Shots -- 72 rounds of Remington/UMC 115gr FMJ range ammo, and 28 rounds of Federal Hydrashok Tactical 124gr +P+, today. Full magazines, each time. Target training, mostly, to see how accurate I could be. Also fed one magazine for left-hand single-hand, and one for right-. Shot mostly at 50ft, but a couple magazines at 10yds.
    • Trigger Action -- Perfect, and getting better all the time. Dry firing on the off days is helping. Another few thousand snap cap dry fires should help quite a bit.
    • Ejection -- These babies could put out an eye at 3yds. A perfect little pile of brass, darned near.
    • Cycling -- Perfect. The harder I work it, the smoother things get. Might be time to settle into a groove with specific ammo. Most ammo is fairly smooth. The Federal Hydrashoks are particularly smooth, though not as good as the batch of DoubleTap rounds I had a month ago. Time to get more of those bad boys.
    • Aim -- At 50ft, I'm still a bit of a putz, aim-wise. Everything was within 8-9" or center, or thereabouts. A couple of fliers, but mostly within 4" and broadening to 8". At 10yds, I was downright decent. Refer to the attached pic, below.
    • Jams/failures -- Zip. Nada. Gotta love it!
    • Reliability -- 100 rounds today; 3186 total; 5 total failures (4 explained). Reliable enough to bet my life on. It's the house gun and the travelin' gun. Very reassuring.
    • Magazines -- 9 magazines, all working well. Time for a good cleaning next time. The springs still feel good. One has a rougher follower. When I replace the springs with Wolff+5% in 1500rds or so, I'll replace several (all?) of the followers as preventive maint.
    • Cleaning after the Range -- Not yet. Other than a bit of powder residue in/on the barrel, it's still very clean. Likely to shoot within the week, so I'll leave it for now.

Two pics, showing 10yd accuracy after the session was complete.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RANGE REPORT #9 for the CZ P-01 9mm

December 9, 2006

Reliability -- Zero jams across 114 rounds fired, today. Total rounds fired to-date is now up to 3186 + 114 = 3300. Five failures in 3300 rounds, for a 99.85% reliability rate (improving).

• Goal Today -- Another light day. Simple enjoyment of the feel of the CZ P01. Focus on accuracy and ability to maintain rapid-fire strings of two to four rounds.
    • Initial Cleaning -- Full field strip and clean, then re-oil and re-grease with Militec-1. Light oil on the internals; grease on the rails. Didn't touch the magazines, again, but it's time to clean them, as the followers are getting "gritty" in their movements, due to crud inside the mag tubes.
    • Shots -- 100 rounds of Remington/UMC 115gr FMJ range ammo, and 14 rounds of Federal Hydrashok Tactical 124gr +P+, today. Full magazines of 14rds, each time. Focused on rapid follow-on shots and strings.
    • Trigger Action -- Perfect and smooth. I'm convinced the SA pull is lightening up a bit. Continued dry firing is helping.
    • Ejection -- These babies could put out an eye at 3yds. Someone three stalls down, at the range, was playing catch with my brass (when stepping back to get into the "line of fire" of the brass ... Ha!
    • Cycling -- Perfect. A case of the DoubleTap 124gr +P ammo is on the way. Time to flex this baby's muscles and see what it's made of. Might well have a new carry load, if these pan out.
    • Aim -- Getting better. Easily able to do mid-speed 3" groupings at 7-10yds. Easily able to stay within a hand's span when cranking up the speed. Am getting used to the sights and smoothness, with each session. I still need to aim a bit low and left, at the shorter distances. It's dialed into 25yds zero, hence shorter requires shooting a bit low. The issues with aiming left do, after all, appear to be flinching the trigger work (dang it!).
    • Jams/failures -- None. La machine.
    • Reliability -- Perfect. La machine! 114 rounds today; 3300 total; 5 total failures (4 explained). For a month, I've been carrying the P01 as primary. It's a keeper.
    • Magazines -- 9 magazines, all working well. Needs cleaning. Each feeds well. Reliable.
    • Cleaning after the Range -- Full field strip, including bore snake, jig and patches, Q-tips and brushes, re-oiling and -greasing of the relevant spots. Lean, mean an' clean.

No pics, today. Though, in the next month or two, it might be time for a bench rest accuracy session, to see how sharp the sighting is, and how accurate the different rounds can be.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Great report, Michael. I'm interested to know the difference between the Double Tap and the Federal Hydra Shok +p+ in recoil and the ability to follow up. Perhaps in a future session you can shoot the two side by side. I've had my eye on the DT ammo you just ordered for a while and am looking forward to hearing how about how consistently it feeds through the P-01, muzzle flash, and recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestone View Post
    I'm interested to know the difference between the Double Tap and the Federal Hydra Shok +p+ in recoil and the ability to follow up. Perhaps in a future session you can shoot the two side by side.
    As requested ...

9mm Ammo Comparison Report: DoubleTap JHP +P vs. Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP +P+.

NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've got around 500 or so rounds through my P-01, and so far, no misfeeds, jams, FTEs, FTFs. Nada.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links