NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Awards, Handgun of the Year

This is a discussion on NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Awards, Handgun of the Year within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you know that this prize wasn't due to a ...."donation" or something of the sort? Lol, I don't know anything about this gun, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Awards, Handgun of the Year

How do you know that this prize wasn't due to a ...."donation" or something of the sort? Lol, I don't know anything about this gun, I am just spouting off nonsense.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I wonder how many people would have thought the award was "sponsored" if a Glock or S&W had won?
    In my personal opinion, I question the sponsored nature of any award or opinion (unless it's just some regular Joe giving his 2 cents). When it comes to gun matters.

It seems to me that these days, there are very few guns among the mainstream contenders that truly stand out above the rest, it's really more of a matter of personal preferences than outright attributes.

If a similar award went out to the M&P that was all aglow with positives I'd question it too. Nothing is perfect, and there are alternatives that are as good (or better) than the M&P.

However, there are definitely some that stand out BELOW the rest.

As for the specific example related here, it seems odd that the PT740 would win handgun of the year. While very nice and capable firearms, they still have the "rough around the edges" nature that doesn't please the tactile senses as well as other guns that I've noticed is present in many Taurii. This usually justified the lower price, except...the PT740 costs about the same as the competition.

Again, great gun, capable sure...but best handgun of the year? Not sure about that...
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I like Taurus also. I have 3 of their wheel guns. For some reason, the NRA like them alot. At our local Friends of NRA Dinner last month, there were many in the gun raffles. Bunker
    I noticed that too. Mine had two MilPros, one in 9mm and one in .40. I won the .40 and I'm starting to warm up to the idea of carrying it regularly. It's a great gun, and I can consistently shoot a 3" group at 7 yards. I'm just not a fan of external safeties, so it probably won't completely replace my Sigma any time soon.

I'm betting it was a well deserved award. Taurus makes decent firearms, but like every manufacturer, they did have some hiccups along the way. So did a lot of other companies. Try judging them based on the quality of their guns now, rather than any problems they may have had in the past.

If it is Taurus then I don't want to know.

I recently saw yet another example of the lack of quality and workmanship on a Taurus product. Life is just too short to fool with them.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't know about the influences behind such awards...one could speculate and may even be right. Remington Versa Max won shotgun of the year, Nosler 48 won rifle of the year, Speer deepcurl won ammo product of the year, Bushnell fusion won optic of the year, and RCBS chronographer won accessory of the year.

All I know is other manufacturers are just now coming out with 9mm offerings in the size comparison to the 709 which has been out over 2 years (Ruger LC9, Kimber solo, etc.), not to say it was the first, there were others before, but they are now out with a .40 version while others are just now out in the 9. Yes, there are other .40 versions as well (Walther, Kahr), but the 709 and 740 aren't rough around the edges. They are actually nicely finished inside and out as compared to other Taurus products I've handled.

Award or not, I've liked them ever since I shot my buddy's several weeks ago...this just caught my eye since I already liked it after shooting one. I understand the past issues folks have had with Taurus, but I truly believe they have a winner in the PT740. It is somewhat of a niche carry piece, but when you need a small, thin, light deep concealment handgun and you prefer the .40 round, this is worth taking a look at in my opinion. It may not be to your liking, it may not have a lot of after market accessories available for it, but in the Taurus line-up, I believe this product stands on its own merits as deserving consideration if you have this particular need.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I guess I should say that I am sorry that I sound so harsh, but mark my words it feel like the movie groundhog day when people start complaining about failures and piss poor Taurus customer service.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have no allegiences to Taurus. I've only had one and it's been just as good as my Springfield, Bersa, 2 S&W, and 3 Rugers. I've had no issues with any of them. I bought the 709 because it fit a particular need I was looking for at the time better than anything else available at the time. If another brand fits a particular need I have better, then it gets my nod. I carry nothing until I have put enough rounds down range to feel comfortable and confident in it. The 709 I put 800 rounds through it before I carried it.

Honestly, I could probably meet most of my carry needs with Rugers now with some of their latest offerings. I'd love to see them come out with an LC40. If I had an issue with a product or company CS, I'd have a bias and deservedly so. Lately, it seems even many of the big name manufacturers have been having a rash of issues. I've seen recents threads on issues with Gen4 Glocks, Sigs, S&W M&Ps, etc. The only one I can't recall seeing lately is HK (they make outstanding firearms...too bad I don't own any...might have to change that). Fortunately, I've got 15 handguns from various manufacturers and I've not had a single problem with any of them in 20 years. Call me lucky, but I am very particular about the ammo I shoot, cleaning, maintenance, storage, etc.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Well, don't forget that some past NRA Golden Bullseye Award winners include the Taurus Judge, the Sig P250, and the Taurus PT 24/7.

They don't always pick hits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links