NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Awards, Handgun of the Year

This is a discussion on NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Awards, Handgun of the Year within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, got my American Rifleman magazine and noticed the NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Award "HANDGUN of the YEAR" is the Taurus PT740 Slim!!!!!!! I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Awards, Handgun of the Year

NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Awards, Handgun of the Year

So, got my American Rifleman magazine and noticed the NRA 2011 Golden Bullseye Award "HANDGUN of the YEAR" is the Taurus PT740 Slim!!!!!!!

I had the opportunity to shoot a buddy's a couple weeks ago and I LOVED IT!!! I have had a PT709 for a few years and I have loved that gun, but I have switched to carrying either .40 or .357 Mag a VAST majority of the time. I lost some confidence in the 9mm round for SD over time amd just didn't carry mine much anymore (I have 3 of them, but they are fun and inexpensive to shoot). They can do the job, but I just prefer the other rounds. When the PT740 came out I figured it would be brutal to shoot, BUT it had no more recoil than my PT709.

I have really considered selling my 709 for a 740 but have been sceptical. I have a trusty 709 with over 1500 flawless rounds...why take a chance on a 740 that may or may not be reliable?

Anyway, I've still been thinking about a PT740 and can't stop...this article just made it worse. This awards has a 9 year history and is a symbol of excellence, innovation, and quality. They discuss respectable accuracy (which I experienced with it) and a small pocket sized gun chambered in .40.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that I was thinking so much about this handgun and then here it is "handgun of the year." I may still end up with one...and may keep the 709 too. One to practice and one to carry.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

los
    Good post on the PT740, BG. Must be one heck of a pistol to be named Handgun of the Year.

In the immortal words of Rocky Balboa..: Go For It.!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I like Taurus also. I have 3 of their wheel guns. For some reason, the NRA like them alot. At our local Friends of NRA Dinner last month, there were many in the gun raffles. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    This just tells me that I can't trust the Golden Bullseye Award.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This just tells me that I can't trust the Golden Bullseye Award.
    Ouch..!

I saw that too in American Rifleman, and was thinking about starting a thread about the PT740.
    I don't own a Taurus mainly because of all the bad internet press regarding poor quality and rotten customer service.
    But they seem to have some good ideas and they're really nice-looking pistols.
    If they get the all-important reliability and CS side of things ironed out, I'd be interested.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I currently have a TCP738 that I absolutely love. I've been thinking about a 709 for a while. Maybe I should look into the 740. After all I've never owned a 40!
    Question Everything!

The 709 was a new platform and they apparently had some hit or miss issues with extractors out of the gate. Mine was flawless right out of the box and I bought it not long after they came out. They appear to have worked those issues out and resolved the problem. The PT740 has been out for a while and I've searched the net extensively and have found ZERO issues posted ANYWHERE with the PT740. I'll get to see my buddy's 740 in action for a while to see how it performs over several hundred rounds. If all continues to go well with it, I'll more than likely have one.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    ... Mine was flawless right out of the box and I bought it not long after they came out.
    I had the exact experience with mine. My 709 was a soft, accurate shooter, as well.

I didn't used to be a Taurus fan either but I bought a PT145 milpro. I love this thing 10 rounds of 45 in a compact carry is sweet. I am thinking of getting a 740 also, I have about 1500 rounds through the 45 with zero problems. Rubicon

Initially, I went with a Walther PPS 9mm because of the bad press the PT709 was getting.
    I could be convinced to give the PT740 a try though.

To be honest, I didn't even know they made a .40 S&W version. NICE!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I like Taurus also. I have 3 of their wheel guns. For some reason, the NRA like them alot. At our local Friends of NRA Dinner last month, there were many in the gun raffles. Bunker
    Could it be that Taurus donated the guns and possibly made other donations to NRA that might have influenced there decision on the Golden Bullseye award?

My impression of Taurii has always been that they are good, dependable firearms that may be a little rough around the edges, so to speak. I was looking at the PT709 along with a Kahr CW9 and ended up choosing the Kahr, just because the trigger was so much better and overall the weapon felt more refined. I wouldn't have been upset if I'd walked away with that Taurus though. Oddly enough they both cost about the same.

I'd be willing to bet that the award may have been sponsored though. There are other compact 9mm's and 40s out there that do the job just as well or perhaps better. Not saying they aren't good, but I don't know if they stand out above the rest of the crowd that much.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I wonder how many people would have thought the award was "sponsored" if a Glock or S&W had won?
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I wonder how many people would have thought the award was "sponsored" if a Glock or S&W had won?
    I doubt very few, most would have thought they deserved it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links