Like my recent purchase, Taurus 709 Slim

This is a discussion on Like my recent purchase, Taurus 709 Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a used Taurus I bought from a guy off the XD Forum today. I was hoping it would make a good pocket ...

Thread: Like my recent purchase, Taurus 709 Slim

I picked up a used Taurus I bought from a guy off the XD Forum today. I was hoping it would make a good pocket carry gun for me. Off to the range to pick it and of course I took some ammo with me.

The gun is very impressive. I have not been a big Taurus fan but this is one nice gun. It has adjustable sights on it which I did need to set. It was firing a little low and to the left for me. After fine tuning it the target was mine. The recoil is much lighter than I expected from a lightweight gun. I ran Federal, American Eagle, S&B and Federal Hydra shoks through it.

The only problem I had was at about round 120 or so I started to get some FTE and FTF issues. This was on the S&B ammo which has a harder primer than most other ammo. The gun was a little dirty when I got it and after 120 rounds of this cheaper ammo it was very dirty.

All together I really enjoyed firing the gun and am happy with my purchase. I bought a $12.88 blackhawk pocket holster for it and it hides quite nicely in my cargo shorts.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Love mine - nice carry gun. If it gives you much trouble send it in - mine took 8 days door to door nad they paid shipping both ways
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Very cool. I'm a Taurus fan myself. Don't you just love new guns?
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a good pick-up, but it isn't real without pix.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Great gun. I have one too. FYI there is a person on Ebay that is selling the little finger extensions for the magazine. Very good price and the product looks great. Also from what I have read Pearce is also making one too. God BLess

Nice looking piece.....

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Early models had an extractor problem that was causing FTEs, new models all have the newly designed extractor that has eliminated that issue. I have had both the 709 and 740 and just can't get used to the trigger and/or the narrow grip. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
    HK: P30 v3
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

My wife loves hers,never had a single problem with it.

I bought mine (SS model) right after they came out and I have over 1500 flawless round through it. These little guns shoot great, very reasonable recoil, accurate, and have a better finish than most other Taurus products. They do have to be cleaned every 200 rounds or every session if less than 200. If I plan on shooting more than 200 at the range, I take a bore snake and gunzilla and that seems to do the trick until I get home and do a full clean. They also tend to be a little ammo sensitive. I run Federal FMJ 115gr (non+P) in mine for practice and I carry either Hornady Critical Defense or Federal Hydrashock 124gr. When you find an ammo it doesn't seem to like, just avoid it and only carry what you have verified cycles well. Also, NEVER manually load a round in the chamber. The extractor is fixed and not spring loaded...the round has to be chambered from beneath via the magazine or it will break or damage the extractor. That has been the source of MOST of those issues.

These are a great little niche carry piece. They are not designed as a combat pistol (i.e. shoot 3,000 rounds without cleaning, roll in the mud, yada, yada). They are designed to be carried concealed by average folks and be shot when you need it. Keep it clean and feed it what it likes and it will do its job. I am now smitten with the 740 and may end up trading mine for one...the recoil is no more for the 740 than the 709, just one less round.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I just bought a couple of those pinky extensions from Ebay...if I get the 740, they'll fit it too. Thanks for the heads-up on that. I really need to get some for my XD40sc too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sponsored Links