Sig 1911 STX

This is a discussion on Sig 1911 STX within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased this. Am a newbie to 1911's. Can someone tell me what is the "generic" name for this model? i.e. "Commander", "Officer", etc. I'm ...

Thread: Sig 1911 STX

Distinguished Member

Sig 1911 STX

Just purchased this. Am a newbie to 1911's. Can someone tell me what is the "generic" name for this model? i.e. "Commander", "Officer", etc. I'm trying to figure out how to buy grips/holsters and can't seem to get an answer. Someone said that Sig now comes out with the "standard-larger" 1911's now. What the heck does that mean?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    The stx is a government model. As for the newer 1911s from sig there are now a couple of models that have a standard profile side. Most of their 1911s have a differnt shape than your average 1911. If I recall the stx has the sig profiled slide

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The stx is a government model. As for the newer 1911s from sig there are now a couple of models that have a standard profile side. Most of their 1911s have a differnt shape than your average 1911. If I recall the stx has the sig profiled slide

So, JD, does that mean that "Government model" grips will work on the STX? And if the slide is different does that mean a government model holster will not fit?

I'm not a big fan of those fancy wood grips. I prefer stippled or even Hogue Rubber if there is such a thing.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    So, JD, does that mean that "Government model" grips will work on the STX? And if the slide is different does that mean a government model holster will not fit?

I'm not a big fan of those fancy wood grips. I prefer stippled or even Hogue Rubber if there is such a thing.
    Yes, gov't grips will work and as a matter of fact Hogue does make some nice panels for gov't sized 1911s. As for the slide and holsters...with tight fitting kydex it may be an issue but leather should be ok but I would strongly advise checking with the holster maker prior to placing an order.

Looked for a picture...

I was curious about your new gun so I Googled an image of it. It is very attractive, and seems to be a reverse two tone (blue slide, stainless frame) 1911 with adjustable sights, magwell, front strap checkering, burl wood grips and ambi thumb safety. It has the typical Sig 1911 profile on the slide, and is full government size. I'd guess that any government size 1911 grips should fit it. But the stock wood grips are very attractive.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

That is an attractive 1911..it has a bunch of special features even the grip panel screws are the hex" one's not the flat head screws..the extended beavertail grip safety the hammer and the sights are some of the upgrades you have on your government model that most "GI" type 1911's cut cost on.

Regardless of model there are basically three sizes Colt started and others have changed around: Government 5inch barrel..Commander 4.5 or 4inch Officer Model: 3 inchs...In my opinion the Officer size's suck and that design wasn't made to be with that short a barrel because i haven't found one yet that is reliable.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Administrator
    Yep, it's a great looking 1911. Excellent dovetailed front & nice rear sight. Great thumb safety design, checkered slide stop, flat checked mainspring housing, checkered front strap, palm-swell beavertail, skeletonized lighter hammer, No MIM & slide & frame machined "in house" at SIG. High quality match grade barrel as icing on the cake.

I'm not all gah gah crazy about the innovative slide serrations but, at leas they are functional.

For me...I wouldn't need to do anything at all to it except maybe install a short trigger.

Stippled grips

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post

I prefer stippled too. If you are familiar with the Tacop's model from the Sig website you can find the identical grips at ERGO, just go to Welcome to ERGO Grip Products then navigate to the 1911 Pistol Grips.

I just ordered an STX myself, and I'm really excited!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mthayer35 View Post
    I prefer stippled too. If you are familiar with the Tacop's model from the Sig website you can find the identical grips at ERGO, just go to Welcome to ERGO Grip Products then navigate to the 1911 Pistol Grips.

I just ordered an STX myself, and I'm really excited!
    You will NOT be disappointed. Accurate and so smooth I could hardly believe a 45 caliber came out the barrel.

Links