Glock 23 4th gen/ S&W M&P40

This is a discussion on Glock 23 4th gen/ S&W M&P40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Due to some up coming events in my life, I have to pick up a .40 caliber pistol of some kind. I've heard that due ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigpoppa48

Thread: Glock 23 4th gen/ S&W M&P40

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar

Due to some up coming events in my life, I have to pick up a .40 caliber pistol of some kind. I've heard that due to the recoil springs, the Glock 23 4th has a softer recoil. So my question is how soft is the recoil compared to other .40 and more importantly the M&P .40. Thanks.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I'm not sure how much of a difference the recoil springs will make. .40 in general is not a soft firing round, it'll always have a bit of a snap.

What makes the most difference is a combination of your grip and the weight of the gun. Try to find the firearm that allows you to keep your hand as high up on the grip as possible (as close as possible to being in line with the barrel) and additional weight will help. The higher and more complete of a grip (no trailing pinky like on a Glock 27 or similar), the better.

I had a S&W Sigma 40 (which is a BIG gun) and it was still snappy. My uncle had a Glock 40 (not sure which kind, but not a 27) and he found it unpleasant to shoot because of the felt recoil.

My suggestions to you are to look at the Glock and M&P .40 line (which you already are), along with the Springfield XD series, the Kahr series (though I'd stay away from the smaller 40s if you are looking to reduce felt recoil), maybe a Smith and Wesson 4046 (full size all steel weapon, good weight), Beretta 96 (also full size steel with good weight) and things of that nature, the list goes on.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Only thing I would add is to rent some of the guns 380APC suggested. I noticed you have a M&P9c, if you like it then start with the full size .40.
    Happy hunting.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Haven't tried a G19. But, I have an M&P 9c and test fired side by side with an M&P 40c. My friend and I both thought the 40c didn't have much more recoil than the 9c. I'm going to try them again (side by side) before I buy myself a 40c to add to my collection.

My S&WM&P357Sig/40S&W is a very controlable gun to shoot for me and is my everyday carry weapon with a Crimson Trace Laser Grip. Whether shooting the 40S&W or 357Sig out of the M&P Platform I find both calibers to be very accurate.
    Last edited by Bigpoppa48; April 29th, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
    TXOutfitter likes this.

The G23 Gen4 is a bit softer feeling than the Gen 3. It's definitely noticeable. The Gen 3 was snappy, but not so much in the Gen4. Of course, it's all about your perception.

Links