Les Bear 1911s - Page 2

Les Bear 1911s

This is a discussion on Les Bear 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you can see, this gets carried and shot quite a bit....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Les Bear 1911s

OD*
    As you can see, this gets carried and shot quite a bit.

sgb likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I shot almost 50 rnds out of a LB Stinger a few years ago. Thanks to an older gentleman named Bill, after about 5 minutes of fondling the pistol he even field stripped it so I could take a look. That was a great range trip! I had decided that must have one, but quickly was reminded by the boss that there were/are a couple things to be paid off before I lay out the $$$ for one. I settled for a Kimber Compact that is the same configuration. Late next year I will put in my order and the Kimber will become a 'coffee table' pistol.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I own two, one in .45 the other is a 10mm. You can find used Baers for around $1,500.00 on a regular basis.

If I get divorced and find me a rich widow I could probably afford a les baer,but I may not like the rich widow all that much so I'm not sure if it would be a good trade.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I picked up a Baer Custom Carry earlier this year; I love it...and I doubt it's going to be my only.

When I was researching getting a higher-end 1911, it just seemed to me that with the Baer pistols, you're getting the most pistol for your money.

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I shot almost 50 rnds out of a LB Stinger a few years ago. Thanks to an older gentleman named Bill, after about 5 minutes of fondling the pistol he even field stripped it so I could take a look. That was a great range trip! I had decided that must have one, but quickly was reminded by the boss that there were/are a couple things to be paid off before I lay out the $$$ for one. I settled for a Kimber Compact that is the same configuration. Late next year I will put in my order and the Kimber will become a 'coffee table' pistol.
    Sounds like you have a good boss. Priorities before pleasure. **** bosses keep us in check most of the time.
    SCGunLover1

First I think the Commander size is the best for carry and I would make it a round butt. Two guys I shoot with have them and they are super reliable even with lead SWCs. At the 25 yard bullseye match I think he cheats. Since the X and 10 ring are gone how do we know all the shots went there?

There is a Shooting USA model for $1800 list. Out of the basic custom makesr; Wilson, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown I think your best deal is on the Les Baer.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

I currently have 2. A SRP hard chrome with a 1 1/2" 50yd tune and a PII with the 1 1/2" 50 yd tune. Both have functioned 100% with everything I have shot thru them. I came close to the 1 1/2" with the PII from a solid rest. (about 2" at 50 yards) I was impressed for a old guy with OLD eyes. Ran the SRP in a few IDPA and USPSA matches. GREAT GUN!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

As far as I can tell, Les Baers are the most affordable of the semi-custom 1911 makers (Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat and Nighthawk). If you're looking for a commander length with a bobtail, you'll have to look at one of the others since Baer doesn't do the bobtail on any of his commander models. I've been thinking real hard about a new commander with a bobtail. Since Baer doesn't make one, and the others listed above are more expensive (some significantly more expensive) than Baer commander models, I'm torn about which direction to go. Good luck with your search.

VIP Member
    The 4" slide and compact grip are a perfect balance. It really looks like a 1911. LB is the best.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Would love one but the bank account and my wife say NO!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

sgb
    You'd be hard pressed to go wrong on a Baer.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Once upon a time I bought a Thunder Ranch Special. Beautiful gun. Then the problems began, and I paid to send it back to Les for work. Forever and a day later I got it back. About a week later I was having same problems. I called the company back, and they acted like they were going to do me a favor by refixing what they hadn't in the first place. I ended up selling it, adding a little money and getting an Ed Brown. Have not had ONE problem since. With my Ed Brown I can put them all in a quarter size hole as well.

I know I may have just gotten a lemon, not sure. If you believe in good customer service, then Les Baer is not the company you should do business with.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post

Once upon a time I bought a Thunder Ranch Special. Beautiful gun. Then the problems began, and I paid to send it back to Les for work. Forever and a day later I got it back. About a week later I was having same problems. I called the company back, and they acted like they were going to do me a favor by refixing what they hadn't in the first place. I ended up selling it, adding a little money and getting an Ed Brown. Have not had ONE problem since. With my Ed Brown I can put them all in a quarter size hole as well.

I know I may have just gotten a lemon, not sure. If you believe in good customer service, then Les Baer is not the company you should do business with.
    Interesting, I had a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, I prefer the Baers. You had a problem with LB service, so your claiming everybody will? You can go to the Brown forum on M1911.ORG and find just as many, if not more, dissatisfied owners as you will for Les Baer.
    Last edited by OD*; June 29th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Interesting, I had a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, I prefer the Baers. You had a problem with LB service, so your claiming everybody will? You can go to the Brown forum on M1911.ORG and find just as many, if not more, dissatisfied owners as will for Les Baer.
    That was just my experience. Like I said I may have just gotten the lemon. The service that I received from Les Baer was not congruent with the money I dropped on their gun. I got the impression, after several telephone calls that they were doing me a favor. I am not generalizing this to everyone, because if everyone bought the same quality 1911 that I received Les Baer would not be in business. I have not had to encounter Ed Brown service as I have not had one problem yet.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links