A Revolver for Mother's Day

This is a discussion on A Revolver for Mother's Day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife doesn't have her own gun yet and she'll be getting her CC permit soon. She's the opposite of me in that she thinks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A Revolver for Mother's Day

My wife doesn't have her own gun yet and she'll be getting her CC permit soon. She's the opposite of me in that she thinks that revolvers "look cooler" than semi-autos. So since we don't have a revolver in the house yet and since I don't know what my 18 month old son is going to give her for Mothers Day, I thought why not a gun?

Being revolver ignorant, here's what I'm looking for:
    -38 spl.
    -not a snubbie
    -not a long barrel

I'm looking to get her something with a grip that she can get all of her fingers on, but I don't want one that's got a real long barrel. She's got small hands, stands at 5'6" and weighs 130 lbs if that helps. Thanks in advance!
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

VIP Member
    Best bet is to take her to a few gun shops and let her try on a few then let her pick the one she likes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Your criteria calls for a 3" Ruger SP101. She can shoot 38Spls with it with reasonable comfort. Don't make the mistake of getting some ultra light thumper for her. Also, you might want to think the plan over carefully. I used to work with a guy who encountered major problems when he presented his wife with a fishing license and some fishing gear for her birthday.
    BugDude and oneshot like this.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Best bet is to take her to a few gun shops and let her try on a few then let her pick the one she likes.
    That is a good advise
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good call on trying them out first.

But if we're just gonna list off favorites that meet your criteria, may I present the Smith and Wesson 19. :)

oneshot likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Guns and roses

You need some ideas on what to start looking at. Some salesmen are an instructors nightmare with what they peddle off on the uninitiated and you never know who you are going to end up with.

S&W and Ruger are top of the line in quality. Anything else is a compromise.The Ruger 101 already mentioned is an excellent gun. The S&W model 60 3" is another. Don't rule out a K-frame S&W if you can find one. With small grips many smaller shooters do quite well with a K-frame. Avoid lightweight/airlites no matter the brand. Let her make the final decision so she will take ownership of it.

The women and tools as gifts comment above is spot on 90% of the time. So unless you can spend an equal amount on her at the florist and jewelry store, er... ah...???

Best wishes for a good shooting partner and a Happy Mothers Day!

Of the criteria you mentioned: This one, Ruger SP101

Last edited by wormy; April 27th, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My fiancee uses my Windicator with no problems. It's a .357mag, but of course, runs .38spl with no issue. Don't want a snub? Get the 4". Full frame revolver, so it helps with the recoil. You can pick one up for right around $300.
    Attached Images
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'll suggest a K-frame S&W. I've got a pair of police turn-in Model 64s which are stainless with fixed sights. One is a 2" snub and the other a 4". Both have heavy barrels and are easy shooters, even with +P loads. Got mine for around $300 a couple of years ago. Check J+G Sales in AZ or GunBroker... even if you end up with a clunker, every 'smith out there knows how to fix 'em and tune 'em. The full-size frame and weight are very shooter-friendly.
    kaboomkaboom likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Your criteria calls for a 3" Ruger SP101. She can shoot 38Spls with it with reasonable comfort. Don't make the mistake of getting some ultra light thumper for her. Also, you might want to think the plan over carefully. I used to work with a guy who encountered major problems when he presented his wife with a fishing license and some fishing gear for her birthday.
    Take her gun shopping and let her pick it out be holding them and shooting them at a range with rentals if possible. The 3" SP101 in .357 Mag is a GREAT place to start. The SP101 can be easily taylored to fit just about anyone with the 2" or 3" barrel, spurred or DAO hammer, variety of grips, and the huge selection of .38 and .357 loads available.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Definitely take her to a store with a wide selection that will let you dry-fire to test trigger pull. Every woman I've met that has tried a revolver (especially sized like the SP101 and smaller) has hated the trigger because it was too strong. Even if she has no problem with it, watch the barrel movement through a pull - doesn't matter much if she can pull the trigger but can't keep the gun on target. Then again, if she's got Popeye forearms, no biggie.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Here is the best advice you could get, I do believe.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Definitely best advice. I was just suggesting a good revolver that I know works well for your consideration.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Having taught several thousand ladies to shoot, I agree that the ruger & s&w are great choices. I have never had a lady that did not shoot the 4" s&w K frame well. Some ladies with small hands liked the colt D frame (police positive, diamond back) in 4". The old ruger security six and the sp101 also do a great job. Let her hold them [and shoot them if possible] and select the one that best fits. Avoid the air weights and light weights due to excessive recoil.

Best Wishes

Doc

what you should do is, draw or print a pic of a revolver, have your son "help" you decorate/color it (making it look like a 18 mo did it, but be able to tell what it is) and both of you guys sign it and then take her shopping, women love that sort of stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links