Are full sized Glocks really that hard to carry versus a compact one?

This is a discussion on Are full sized Glocks really that hard to carry versus a compact one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For example, a Glock 22 vs a Glock 23, and a Glock 17 vs a Glock 19. Looking at the two side by side, there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are full sized Glocks really that hard to carry versus a compact one?

For example, a Glock 22 vs a Glock 23, and a Glock 17 vs a Glock 19.

Looking at the two side by side, there is very little difference - about a half an inch difference in the slide length and the grip length.

For me, the Glock 23's grip feels a little small for me compared to the Glock 22 which is why I went with the Glock 22. I've never tried to CCW a G19 or a G23 considering I've never owned one, but with a Glock 22 I can generally CCW it with only a light cover garment, such as a thin buttoned up shirt. Depending on the T-shirt, that can be sufficient as well.

Summer is coming around, and I MAY be considering trading in the G22 for the G23, but I'm unsure given that the G22 is a noticeably more comfortable grip for me (I have large hands).

Is the Glock 23 really THAT much easier to conceal than a Glock 22, or is it mainly hyperbole?

2. Remove Ads

I have a G17, which is WAY too big for me to CC. I tried to CC the G26, but even that was too big for me. I went with a Ruger LCP. See picture.

photo.jpg
    Best regards,
    Steve
    Ruger P345 Ruger LCP

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." - Winston Churchill

I cc a Glock 17, 19, 23, 27 and 36, all without issue. I have carried the 17 all day in a MS SS II. It is comfortible. That being said, the 19 and 23 are more comfortable. The 36 and 27 are the most comfortible to carry. The smaller Glocks are obviously lighter, smaller and easier to conceal. But the 17 is not as hard as people think. If you can afford it, just add the 23 or 27 to the 22. I sold a 17 in the past and regretted it. I recently aquired another and it does feel awesome in the hand.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I cc a Glock 17, 19, 23, 27 and 36, all without issue. I have carried the 17 all day in a MS SS II. It is comfortible. That being said, the 19 and 23 are more comfortable. The 36 and 27 are the most comfortible to carry. The smaller Glocks are obviously lighter, smaller and easier to conceal. But the 17 is not as hard as people think. If you can afford it, just add the 23 or 27 to the 22. I sold a 17 in the past and regretted it. I recently aquired another and it does feel awesome in the hand.
    I also have a SIG P228 so I suppose I could just carry that over the summer when it's hot and carry the Glock 22 when it's cooler out, such as during the rest of the year or at night. I live in Oregon so 90+ degree weather is not too common.

I'm a college student, so sadly I can't buy guns all THAT often - usually have to save a while for them.

Cool

My main area of concern is with the grip being longer on my full size Glock 21 and under a light shirt has a tendency to stick out a bit on me from the appendix posistion over my G36,19 or 23. The barrel length is of little concern. If I can wear a sweater or light jacket in cooler weather I always op for the G-21. Sometimes bigger is better.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Glocks are a chunk no matter whether they are "compacts" or not. I believe that if you can carry a 26, you can carry a 19, or maybe even a 17.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Im a runt. 5 ft 7 and 155#. I am CCing a Glock 22 everyday in a C-tac holster with just polo shirts and a Wilderness belt. I can even carry it in a Glock sport combat holster OWB. I wish I had got a 22 years ago. I have also had a 23 and I still have a 27. To me not alot difference in carrying the 23 vs the 22 and the 22 feels much better in my hands. I sold my 23 and dont miss it all. Now when the weather gets hot enough for t-shirts I will carry the 27. If your budget allows I would suggest adding a 27 to go with your 22. The perfect combination for winter and summer carry.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Im a runt. 5 ft 7 and 155#. I am CCing a Glock 22 everyday in a C-tac holster with just polo shirts and a Wilderness belt. I can even carry it in a Glock sport combat holster OWB. I wish I had got a 22 years ago. I have also had a 23 and I still have a 27. To me not alot difference in carrying the 23 vs the 22 and the 22 feels much better in my hands. I sold my 23 and dont miss it all. Now when the weather gets hot enough for t-shirts I will carry the 27. If your budget allows I would suggest adding a 27 to go with your 22. The perfect combination for winter and summer carry.
    Sadly, the Glock 27 is a no-go for me. I held it and it just was too small, even with the grip extensions. The Glock 23 is right on the edge of being too small, with my pinky finger just gripping the floor plate of the magazine. The Glock 22 easily gives me the most comfortable grip of the three.

My main issue is that I don't know if sacrificing the grip comfort is worth the added concealment of the Glock 23 - and here lies my dilemma.

Is there any other smaller gun you could get for the warmer months and keep your 22? Such as .38 revolver.

After carrying both the 22 and 23 if it were me I would dress accordingly and CC the 22 as best as possible.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I mainly carry a Kahr PM9, but I'm more and more starting to carry my Glock 19. I would carry the Glock 26 but I need to find a holster that I like that works well with it. The one that I use for the 19 doesn't work well with the 26 (it sticks in the holster and will not draw cleanly). That being said, I'm about to pick up a new Glock 19 EXO with those real nice Ameriglo night sights. ( I can't wait). A 26 EXO will be soon to follow I think.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Is there any other smaller gun you could get for the warmer months and keep your 22? Such as .38 revolver.

After carrying both the 22 and 23 if it were me I would dress accordingly and CC the 22 as best as possible.
    Well, I do currently own a SIG P228. The reason I'd like to carry the Glock 22 is because I prefer a larger caliber for CCW - hard to go wrong with 14-16 rounds of .40 S&W. That said, I do believe that the 9mm is sufficient - I think it's just a psychological thing. I suppose the P228 would be reasonable to carry during the summer? That's about the same size as the Glock 19/23 if I'm not mistaken?

Administrator
    There are a whole lot of personal factors to be considered such as body type and method of carry as well. I find the compact Glocks a lot easier to carry than their full sized counterparts. I also find them easier to carry than my beloved 228. I choose the 228 over the 19 or 23 simply because I shoot better with it. Concealment means a lot to me. I'm a big believer in the gray man, not to mention I've spent a good portion of my career in an undercover role where concealment really did mean life or death.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My Sigma is almost identical to a G19, as far as dimensions go. It does get tough to conceal, and I'm going to have to switch over to my PT140 for my primary summer carry. My Dad OWB carries everything from a Beretta Bobcat to a G17 to a 5" 1911 without issue, so it really comes down to you. If you can wear enough of a cover garment to conceal it, go for it.

Do you know somebody with a 23 that would let you experiment with it? It should work in your 22's holsters.

I'm of the opinion that if you invest in a good belt and holster, you can hide whatever you want.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    I don't think they are, with the right holster. I have a 19 and a 17, the 17 with a light "disappears" as well as the 19, in a Raven Concealment Systems "Phantom."

Raven Concealment Systems
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links