BEST 4" 1911 recoil springs??

This is a discussion on BEST 4" 1911 recoil springs?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 4" Kimber Raptor "Pro" will not go all the way back into battery--staying about 1/8" from fully seating after the recoil phase--it has been ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnLeVick

Thread: BEST 4" 1911 recoil springs??

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

My 4" Kimber Raptor "Pro" will not go all the way back into battery--staying about 1/8" from fully seating after the recoil phase--it has been doing this with all mags, including Wilson, brown, cobra, kimber, colt....... my guess is the recoil spring--even though I only have about 700-800 rounds thru it.

What's the best replacement recoil springs??

Thanks folks!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I'd call Kimber and see if they will ship you out a replacement. Wolff makes the best aftermarket springs if tbe factory ones have caused you to loose faith.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Administrator
    Falcon Arms - Chrome Silicon
    Click Here ~~~> 1911

Distinguished Member
    Another fan of Wolff. The other advantage tot hem is that they include in the package an extra power firing pin spring, which is good to have.

edit: I see the Falcon spring in QK's link also includes a firing pin spring.

There have been MANY 4" Kimbers, including a large number of the high-dollar ones, shipped with recoil springs that are 3-4 coils too short. I lost count some time ago of the number that have come to me for help. I have lots of experience with 1911-types and various brands of springs. Wolff makes really good ones, but if you can get a spring from ISMI that meets your needs, especially a chrome silicon one, I'd go there. If not, you'll not be disappointed with a Wolff, and they are wonderful people, to boot. Mark Cosat, owner of ISMI, actually was a "rocket scientist," and his springs are stellar. The 4" Kimber problem, however, is less an issue of the quality of the springs than it is the fact that the springs installed weren't even close to specs. I.e., quality control problem.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    I think the Chrome Silicon recoil springs (in general) are just great.
    Especially for shorter barrel semi-autos where regular Carbon "spring steel" springs should always be changed more often.
    A shooter will at least double the useful recoil spring life by switching over to a Chrome Silicon recoil spring.

just ordered several Wolff springs and two sets of ISMI flat springs--but beware--the flat springs require a new guide rod--more $$.

I called Falcon but didn't get an answer-ISMI called back first.........

Thanks for the info
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

From the Kimber manual for 4" and 3" 1911s, available on their web site:

Compact & Pro Models:
    Recoil Spring: .45 ACP & 40 S&W/22 lbs., .38 Super/18 lbs.
    CHANGE EVERY 800 rounds

my guess is the recoil spring--even though I only have about 700-800 rounds thru it

Sounds like you just validated their advice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

ISMI said that their flat springs are good for 40,000 rounds---
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    The Chrome Silicon recoil springs are pretty doggone amazing.
    I'm thinking that they will be standard issue inside all or (if not all) most factory released firearms soon.
    They are not appreciably more expensive than ordinary "spring steel" springs & the "working spring life" is improved by leaps & bounds.
    One added advantage is that you can usually switch over to the next lighter recoil spring weight (with the Chrome Silicon) for easier slide manipulation (and no loss of functional reliability) since the Chrome Silicon springs maintain their original # strength far longer than ordinary recoil springs.
    I like the variable Chrome Silicon recoil springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    ISMI said that their flat springs are good for 40,000 rounds---

Links