Kahr? Thoughts

This is a discussion on Kahr? Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a PM9 and traded it in as it often failed to return to battery. Prior to having the barrel sent off to Kahr ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr? Thoughts

I had a PM9...

I had a PM9 and traded it in as it often failed to return to battery. Prior to having the barrel sent off to Kahr for the barrel / feed ramp recall, it wouldn't reliably feed hollowpoints.

I'll say one good thing about Kahrs - they are very easy to maintain!

2. Remove Ads

Have a PM9. It sucked the first 250 or so rounds (break-in). FTE, FTF, etc. After the break-in and a good cleaning, runs like clock work. great gun, and EASY to conceal in a pocket holster.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have two Kahrs and know atleast 30 other cops that do as well. I have NEVER had a FTF or other problem with any of mine nor have a heard of a single complaint. The guns do NOT tolierate limp wristing and will jam up if you dont do your part.

If allowed I would quickly replace my duty issued Sig with a Kahr.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Now there is a personal endorsement , I did replace a sig with a kahr , but i am no longer an officer . to me it was a personal choice . and for the record i dont think there is a finer built firearm than sigs , but the kahr offers it own advantages with no downside that affect me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

That almost made my mouth drop open. You would replace your Sig with a Kahr? Are you under the influence of any narcotics or alcohol sir? All joking aside, that is quite a bold statement.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

floridaguy911 if i may ... its not " Bold " it is an endorsement of the quality and reliablility that i have enjoyed off my kahrs . Kahrs carry easyer than almost any other handgun in the same cal, have acceptable accuracy , and seemingly to me in the right hands are utterly reliable , my p9 i picked up used off a friend who hated it , he bought it , shot it , could not get it to function to him , i picked it up as a project ( allready had a pm9 ) and the dammed thing will feed empty cases for me when put randomly into the mag . for him it wouldnt reliably feed ball ammo ( so he said ) .

and to think that originaly i was going to encurage search and leave the thread alone lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Its a bold statement in my opinion. The P9 I shot at the range, as previously stated at the beginning of this thread, had a FTF the first round of each clip. It would begin loading the round as it should, but once an inch to half-an-inch was left to slide forward, i had to forcefully manaully push the slide forward to properly chamber the round. It also had 3 FTF in the middle of the clip (out of 50 total rounds through the P9) when my GF shot it. That could be that she limp wristed it POSSIBLY, but still doesnt explain why the slide would not fully engage the first round of any given clip. This could have just been the range rental, maybe it had not been cleaned, i dont know the real reason it gave me such a hard time, but it left an impression that it wasnt a gun I was confident in. Which left a really bad taste in my mouth for Kahr, as it was one of the few pistols that I was very interested in. (Kahr PM9, SA XD 9mm or .40 Subcomp, and G27)In the end I chose the G27.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

well I like Kahrs as you can tell , and i have yet to see one ( other than the peening issue on the mk/pm series that kahr recalled ) that wont run . at least in my hands , they do have a different " manual of arms in some instances than other pistols do , but so does hk p7 ect .. it was best described above as Mismatch between shooter and gun. If they arnt for you then look elsewhere because no one pistol will eaver suit everyone . If they do suit you you wont find a better handgun for ccw . I like em but will honestly say carry what you can hit with and what works for you oO( personaly i would have another prostrate exam before i carryed a glock to so much as a convience store but that dont make glocks bad , just not for me ) . Play with the different pistols , shoot them if possible , fondle them if not , pick one that fits , and then practice a lot .

LOL @ another prostate exam. Thats almost a hatred for the always reliable Glocks! (which was the foremost reason i purchased it) I would enjoy shooting (if the same problem didnt pop up) Kahrs more to see if I just stumbled upon a very bad example on my first encounter with said weapon. Seems that the Kahrs are almost like the Glocks (i can see you quivering from here after i said that) Either you love them or you despise them. There are almost NO in-betweens. Very interesting.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

florida ... Whateaver you choose , kudos for checking out others opinions , and actualy listening .. May well be the Kahr line is not for you , as the glock isnt for me .. That does not make either a bad gun , just a bad fit for us .. Pick what fits and go ... somewhere on here i posted a rant on what makes a good ccw gun imho .. but its not informative enough to look up the link lol .

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I agree, find whatever fits you in your application and go for it. So long as you are capable with it, it really doesnt matter what anyone else says.
    Fear No Evil.

erh

Lightbulb Oiy Veh..!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    I have two Kahrs and know atleast 30 other cops that do as well. I have NEVER had a FTF or other problem with any of mine nor have a heard of a single complaint. The guns do NOT tolierate limp wristing and will jam up if you dont do your part.

Steve
    I Love my Kahr's too... One of my truly favorite handguns is my K9 Elite '03 (Many, many, many hundred's of rounds fired & NEVER once a problem..!; and I have also recently aquired a PM9 but have yet to use it much at all; this "Latter one" has me thinking "Maybe it'll be OK but not more than that yet..!" (I love the size though..!)
    But this SIG for a Kahr statement "Surely at a Minimum Skirt's along the very edge of & even crosses the boarder on Blasphemy, I say..!!" (LOL..!)

"Truth be known what I just said was my attitude toward SIG until lately..!" That has changed!
    "They dinged, chipped & scraped up my NIB P228 at the factory recently so badly I doubt it would pass for a Grade II CPO now, and they don't give a half a CR_P that they did..!
    I didn't have time to convert it myself from DAO to DA/ SA the way I prefer, so I paid the factory $145.00!!! to F_CK IT UP FOR ME..!
    When I called to complain; they claimed what I was describing was "Simply impossible, then flat out said either I must have done it myself and just want a scape goat or someone damaged it between there & here..!" ("During overnight UPS; first avail. delivery..?! Please..!!")
    This is not the same SIG I have dealt w/ for over 20 years now..!
    I am so disgusted by the whole thing, that I actually bought an H&K USP40 to replace a "Missing Piece" in my handgun collection which was slated for a P226 X Series..!
    By the way, after several calls and emails their solution was to send me a "New Blue Plastic Case and (1) magazine..! Beyond that, and so far as I can see, they have "Washed their hands of the whole thing & moved on..!"

Sorry for the thread drift, but had to vent..! Quite disgustedly your's truly..:
    Last edited by erh; July 25th, 2006 at 04:49 PM.
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Yea .... Seems no one can get good help anymore LOL

I have the MK9 at home that the wife carries. After initial problems with the slide hanging up, like you mentioned, we've had 0 problems with it. When new, the slide would hang up just before going into battery if you inserted a mag and then used the slingshot method to rack the slide on an empty chamber. The slide would stop just before going into battery and you would have to give it a tap to get it to fully seat. Using the slide release however, would always put the gun into battery and it never hung using that method. After about 500 rounds, the slide had no issues at all using either method. The only other problem I had with it was 2 FTEs during the break-in period.

Other than that, the gun now functions flawlessly and it's the perfect size for my wife to carry on her. It's reliable, easy to shoot, and easy to carry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kahr in the future based on the performance and reliability of that little MK.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

[I]
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911
    The P9 I shot at the range, as previously stated at the beginning of this thread, had a FTF the first round of each clip. It would begin loading the round as it should, but once an inch to half-an-inch was left to slide forward, i had to forcefully manaully push the slide forward to properly chamber the round. It also had 3 FTF in the middle of the clip (out of 50 total rounds through the P9) when my GF shot it. That could be that she limp wristed it POSSIBLY, but still doesnt explain why the slide would not fully engage the first round of any given clip.
    Did you try loading the mag shy one round to see if it still did this?

In the middle of a mag I would guess that the pistol was limp wraisted, but the first round out of the box every time, I would say that it was a bad mag.

Oh by the way I own a Kahr TP9 and just love it!
    Last edited by stmichps; July 25th, 2006 at 07:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links