Kahr? Thoughts

This is a discussion on Kahr? Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's face it, guns are manufactured and in any manufacturering process there's going to be defects. I've read a lot about a lot of guns ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kahr? Thoughts

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Let's face it, guns are manufactured and in any manufacturering process there's going to be defects. I've read a lot about a lot of guns and they all put out dogs once in a while. I do think there are a few that are better than most like Sig, H&K, etc. Glocks obviously have a reputation for running well, etc.

I have a Kahr P9 and it's never done anything except work perfectly. It's accurate and had the best trigger of any weapon I have albiet a long pull. Mine's all black, night sights and wasn't cheap, but it's size and shape are absolutely superior for ME. It conceals well becasue its so thin and I have a perfect full grip without any extra below my pinkie.

I think you can find folks to say good and bad about any maker or just about any gun but hit enough forums and you'll learn basic trends like the KelTec P3AT first generation did have some design issues. The proof? They put out a second generation.

SA XD's, Kahrs, all good but the Karh will be narrower, smaller, etc. Less rounds but it's made for concealed carry from the ground up.

Love mine. I'd like a Kimber CDP but many complain about it, still I want one and will hopefully get one some day and it it has problems I'll send it back.

Good luck with whatever you get.

2. Remove Ads

All I can say on the subject is it's a brand we will not even order for people any more after my personal experiences with AO after the Kahr buyout.

I have the largest, most expensive paperweight in their product line. After replacement and multiple factory trips. Another I sold three serials away ran perfectly and continues to for a friend.

Would I recommend them for CCW purposes? No. I'll make my own bold statement - I'd rather have a Hi-Point.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I have the P9 and Love IT!!!

I would suggest MilTec-ing it if you get the chance...

It will become a favorite!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

I just purchased a Kahr pm9. I just completed 300 rounds through it yesterday. It has performed flawlessly with the 6 round and 7 round clips. I was very surprised with the accuracy of the little gun and am gaining confidence with it every day. My only complaint is the cost Highly recommend.

js

Randytulsa hit it dead on. They are TIGHT guns. They need to be broken in properly and loaded from "slide locked" position. I have a P9 and it is 110% reliable. I know the gun will fire EVERY time I pull the trigger. From my experience I am literally shocked when I read negative comments. On the flip side, they seem to have an excellent customer service policy that aims to remedy any negative experience. To recap....Yeah...I recommend Kahrs.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

On the flip side, they seem to have an excellent customer service policy that aims to remedy any negative experience.
    Appear was what I thought until I had to deal with them first hand.

Getting ahold of a human being was pulling teeth. Getting them to uphold what they promised was even harder.

Don't get me wrong - I've seen many guns of theirs that work. I've also seen several that flat out don't - and the owners are split down the middle with perfect experiences or absolute nightmares that I don't experience when dealing both as a dealer and as a customer of other major gun manufacturers.

Perhaps I merely got a bad gun personally - twice in a row. After four factory visits and six months of broken promises and runaround.

Perhaps the dozen customer guns I've had to intervene on are simlarly unlucky. :(
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

erh

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    Let's face it, guns are manufactured and in any manufacturering process there's going to be defects. I've read a lot about a lot of guns and they all put out dogs once in a while. I do think there are a few that are better than most like Sig, H&K, etc. Glocks obviously have a reputation for running well, etc.

I have a Kahr P9 and it's never done anything except work perfectly. It's accurate and had the best trigger of any weapon I have albiet a long pull. Mine's all black, night sights and wasn't cheap, but it's size and shape are absolutely superior for ME. It conceals well becasue its so thin and I have a perfect full grip without any extra below my pinkie.

I think you can find folks to say good and bad about any maker or just about any gun but hit enough forums and you'll learn basic trends like the KelTec P3AT first generation did have some design issues. The proof? They put out a second generation.

SA XD's, Kahrs, all good but the Karh will be narrower, smaller, etc. Less rounds but it's made for concealed carry from the ground up.

Love mine. I'd like a Kimber CDP but many complain about it, still I want one and will hopefully get one some day and it it has problems I'll send it back.

Good luck with whatever you get.
    I have a Kimber Custom CDP II (=5"), & I have done some "Tuning", but I would not hesitate to buy another..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I'll put in my 2 cents worth here. I own and carry a P9 daily. I have had no problems with it after I read the owner's manual about loading the first round with the slide release. It is light, flat, accurate, reliable and fits my hand almost perfectly.

If you read the negative comments about the Kahr line, you will notice that almost all of the problems are with the PM or MK (compact) models, particularly the 40's. I think it is an issue of trying to shrink a gun too far past the size for which it was designed (much like the micro 1911's).

As an aside, I agree with the comment about Sig's customer service. Lately they seem almost hostile to customers.

erh

Exclamation (Arghhh..!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by js
    I just purchased a Kahr pm9. I just completed 300 rounds through it yesterday. It has performed flawlessly with the 6 round and 7 round clips. I was very surprised with the accuracy of the little gun and am gaining confidence with it every day. My only complaint is the cost Highly recommend.

js
    "Magazine's..."
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

I said magazine instead of "clip" until a couple months ago, when I was corrected by an elder. Who told me the magazine was what the clip slid into, not to confuse the two.

CAN ANYONE CLEAR THIS UP??? <---------
    SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Assistant Administrator
    The clip itself is the small spring steel device that holds rounds - like 10 round ''stripper clip'' for SKS, the M1 8 round CLIP - and .303 brit clip of 5 rounds.

These tho are for placing into a grooved bar/block above the open bolt area of reciever usually and once the rounds are pushed down they go into a magazine.!! It is faster than one by one loading into a mag' - call them even maybe a ''magazine speedloader'' Used for fixed magazines in many cases tho the Enfield box mag can be removed and charged seperately.

The magazine per se has an internal spring inside a long box with a top piece called the follower, on which rounds sit and are delivered for chambering.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

erh

Lightbulb "Clip & Magazine" - It always continues...

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911
    I said magazine instead of "clip" until a couple months ago, when I was corrected by an elder. Who told me the magazine was what the clip slid into, not to confuse the two.

CAN ANYONE CLEAR THIS UP??? <---------
    SS
    For the sake of "Pissin' in the wind..!?!" I've gotta say first of all, "I was only yankin' your chain when I posted that and really didn't mean to insult or degrade you in any way; if I did so in any way, I do truly appologize..!"
    Also for the sake of correctness & ease of understanding: "A magazine has mechanical moving parts, a "clip" does not. The "Part" that a "Clip" is inserted into is "Usually a Bandolier or some such thing for storage/ transport..." Or maybe something like an M1 Garand to prepare it to be fired..." A magazine is usually inserted into a magazine pouch for storage/ transport, or a "Magazine well," like in an M-16 for instance, to prepare it to be fired...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

erh

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by erh
    For the sake of "Pissin' in the wind..!?!" I've gotta say first of all, "I was only yankin' your chain when I posted that and really didn't mean to insult or degrade you in any way; if I did so in any way, I do truly appologize..!"
    Also for the sake of correctness & ease of understanding: "A magazine has mechanical moving parts, a "clip" does not. The "Part" that a "Clip" is inserted into is "Usually a Bandolier or some such thing for storage/ transport..." Or maybe something like an M1 Garand to prepare it to be fired..." A magazine is usually inserted into a magazine pouch for storage/ transport, or a "Magazine well (Like in an M-16 for instance, to prepare it to be fired...)
    Also what P95Carry said ^^^...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Had a Kahr MK9, good pistol, had no problems with it.
    It was a handful with +P rounds though....

I had one of the early K9's with the blued finish. It worked fine until I changed my lube strategy from break-free on the barrel hood to outer's all weather grease. Sometimes the bullet nose was diving into the feed ramp and jamming. I finally determined that when lubing with break-free, enough was running down to lube the feed ramp. The gun was only 100% with Fed 9BP. I traded it in for something else and fully informed the dealer. I currently have 3 Kahrs, K9, Mk9 and a K40. They all work great, and fit my hand better than any other pistol. Only problem was getting the correct recoil spring in the K40. Customer service took care of that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links