Kahr? Thoughts

This is a discussion on Kahr? Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just posted a thread about the XD sub, Now im curious about the nw Kahrs. they are extremely small. I believe the spec sheets ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr? Thoughts

Unhappy Kahr? Thoughts

I just posted a thread about the XD sub, Now im curious about the nw Kahrs. they are extremely small. I believe the spec sheets say something like 5.3" How reliable are these guns? I read several places that they were great guns, but when i shot a p9 at the range, It has a problem completely feeding the ammo in first round of the clip every time, you had to push the slide forward the last half inch everytime you reloaded. Maybe it was just the range rental but it really deflated my confidence on these little guns regardless of what I read prior to the incident. I still have a little hope for these guns as I do like their size. I keep assuring myself all the editors arent lying, and it was probably just a dirty range rental with some kind of problem. the models I am interested in are the very smallest, im currently on a mini-gun spree. PM models i think are the smallest ones. What do you think ab out them?

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

i have the cw9 and love it. no problems with it at all. highly recommended here =O)

Ive read alot of bad things about the polymer Kahrs. FTF and FTB seem to be a big problem with these little guns. on the other hand ive only heard good things about the all steel MK9. I carry a XD SUB .40 never had a problem with it.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Seach is your friend LOL Khars have been extensively covered on other threads .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I recommend KAHR highly. Never a problem with my K40. Never!
    God Bless the USA

Less than perfect MK-9

I had an MK-9 that I really liked at first. I added night sights. Then it started failing to load completely. I sold it. On the other hand, the MK-9 2003 Elite that I bought my wife works perfectly every time. I guess a few less than perfect ones come from every manufacturer.

I had a K9 that was perfectly reliable for the 1st owner and perfectly reliable for the first 300rnds I put through it. Then, it suddenly developed a FTF problem that multiple trips back to the factory couldn't fix. No, it wasn't ammo or hold related. They finally replaced the gun with a new one, which I promptly sold. I'm sticking to revolvers from now on.

Chris

I had a P9 and had the exact same problems you describe through 350 rounds. It didn't really fit my hands well anyway so I decided to sell it. If you get a reliable one there aren't many better weapons for CCW. If not, then they make very expensive paperweights.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I have the Kahr CW-9 and love it. Carry it almost every day loaded with 115 gr Corbon +P DPX. Never one problem with the pistol. Definitely would buy it again.

I have a small hand and the pistol seems to be the perfect size for my hand. Folks with a large hand might like a mag extension.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Re"

I've got a PM40 and haven't had any problems with it. It is very accurate and I like the trigger. The KAHR's like to "run wet", and I have seen people who shoot my gun limp wrist while shooting and cause the FTF. You really need to have a good solid grip, as with all semis.

Lube was never a problem in my case. I didn't change cleaning or lubing procedures, so what worked for the first 300rounds should've worked fine. Nor could the grip be the problem for me to get through so many rounds without a single failure. Besides, this wasn't my first "small gun". I've owned and shot several small autos and revolvers of various calibers. Even Kahr didn't think it was hold related, but they never could figure out the mechanical problem. They polished the feedramp, extractor, and various other bits several times and replaced several springs and other small bits. What was happening was that the cartridge was jamming hard against the bottom of the feed ramp. This happened with Ranger T 147gr, Speer GD 124gr +P, and various flavors of FMJ (WWB, etc). New mags didn't solve the problem either.

To their credit, they did work hard to repair the gun and eventually replaced it, but I could no longer trust the platform.

Chris

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got two, and I love'em.

PM9 (no jams, fts, fte, nothing, ever, even in break-in period).

I also have a P45- one fte in during the 200-round break-in. Also during the break-in, the casing from the last round would sometimes stick straight up out of the magazine after it would fire. The rim would get stuck between the floor plate and the top of the magazine. The magazine would still drop free when I pressed the release button, so I don't count it as a mechanical failure, but it's still very odd.

Nothing thereafter.

I think they're great guns- a lot more accurate than I first thought (but you need to practice with them- it's harder for me to shoot accurately with a small, light gun than it is with a larger, heavier gun), and reliable (at least for me). Easier for me to regain a sight picture for follow-up shots than my XD45, believe it or not.

Some people have had problems with theirs, though. I don't know what that's about. Spotty quality control? Maybe. Mismatch between shooter and gun? Probably. Inherent, fundamental flaw with their designs? I doubt it.

They also have their peculiarities. Gotta load'em, for the first round with each magazine from the full lockback position instead of just racking the slide. They're so dadburned tight, too (which contributes to accuracy but also contributes to finickiness with ammo), that you need to oil their insides early and often. Recoil springs need replacing every thousand rounds or so.

But, like I say, I love mine...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Mismatch between shooter and gun? Probably
    Dammm that is quite simply the most diplomatic way to say what I have been saying that I have ever seen. Thanks and I do believe I may well co-opt that phrase myself LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ive heard horror stories about these things.......especially the PM models. That being said I went out and bought one anyway. I have an MK9. Happy to say that I havent had any issues. And it shoots surprisingly well for how little it is.

My PM9 works fine. Small, light,accurate and so far reliable. Like every thing else some people will just get a bad gun. With any gun that you carry, it should be test fired and broken in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links