M&P vs XD

This is a discussion on M&P vs XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am gonna get one or the other in 9mm. I like the feel of the XD, but can get a very good deal on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: M&P vs XD

M&P vs XD

I am gonna get one or the other in 9mm. I like the feel of the XD, but can get a very good deal on a Smith. Pros and cons on either, if you please. Let the battle begin.

2. Remove Ads

XD... without any doubt in my mind. Shoot great, will eat any ammo, reliable and accurate. I don't know what else to ask for out of a gun. Plus Springfield has great customer service and support.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Another one for the XD. Go for the Springfield, you won't regret it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I now own a XDM 4.5 9mm with 19 + 1 capacity. I highly recomend the XD or XDM. As the previous post mentioned, it is absolutely reliable and confortable to shoot. I specially like it that it has not only the trigger safety like the Glock, but also the handle one like 1911s do.

I used to own a XD SC in .40 and same story, never a failure of any kind and a pleasure to shoot. A pistol you can truely trust your life to.

My vote is for the M&P. I've also test fired the XD and one thing I notice is that the recoil spring on the XD was stiffer (i.e., harder to rack the slide, this may make a difference to one with a smaller stature). Both are fine guns. I recommend trying both before deciding, if possible.

M&P. Take a look at the polymer pistols competitors used (M&P vs. Springfield XD) at the IDPA 2010 National Championship.

International Defensive Pistol Association - Tactical Journal Article

The XD is a bit handicapped in IDPA competition though as it can't compete in the stock service pistol division, but the M&P can - has to do with how the striker firing mechanism is classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    XD... without any doubt in my mind. Shoot great, will eat any ammo, reliable and accurate. I don't know what else to ask for out of a gun. Plus Springfield has great customer service and support.
    ^^^ This for me too ^^^ I have a XD40sc and it shoots like a large gun and carries like a small one. No worries, no issues. So reliable it is boring (in a very good way). I really like the grip safety. Some people don't. I know one guy who loves the XD line but hates the grip safety, so he got a grip sleeve and that took care of his concern. I personally like it and find it unobtrusive...I don't even notice it. Over the last few years I've read issues out of every gun maker (lately even Glock, Sig, and S&W) EXCEPT for Springfield or HK. The XD and XDm lines are awesome...lots of variety in grip size, barrel length, capacity, etc. You can find one to fit your needs perfectly. You'll love the Springer and never look back.

I love S&W revolvers, but I much prefer the Springer autos.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Last Sat i fired 5 9mm-ers: XDM,M&P,SR,Glocks 19 & 26 all with factory triggers and the same range ammo * With no second thought the Springfield was way out in-front for me with by far the most comfortable in my hand and best of all with less felt recoil * Yes one can gunsmith their peacemaker alot but NIB it's a keeper

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    M&P. Take a look at the polymer pistols competitors used (M&P vs. Springfield XD) at the IDPA 2010 National Championship.

International Defensive Pistol Association - Tactical Journal Article

The XD is a bit handicapped in IDPA competition though as it can't compete in the stock service pistol division, but the M&P can - has to do with how the striker firing mechanism is classified.
    Interesting stats...

Smith and Wesson 91
    Springfield 30
    GLOCK 137

Maybe you should add a Glock 19 or 26 to your consideration.
    Proud NRA member

As a former owner of both platforms--get the M&P.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

We have the XDsc and the XDm c in my house as main carry both in 9mm.
    As soon as it comes, my in I will have the S&W M&Pc 9mm as well but, I will contine to carry the XDm. So +1 for XD/XDm

i've owned both as well. i loved both. but i loved the smith just that much more. being lefty and the smith being a TRUE ambi gun sold me. like someone mentioned with the XD recoil spring being much stiffer, it was more difficult to operate it with the gun in my left hand. many times i had to swap hands to do specific tasks.

definitely shoot both before you decide.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I'd say buy the XD, since it fits you better. Unless you haven't tried the M&P, in which case you should try that first. I've owned both and prefer the M&Ps, but the XDs are very nice.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Administrator
    The M&P is a much better gun IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I vote XD, better grip angle for me and better feel.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links