Getting Acquainted w/ the HK45

This is a discussion on Getting Acquainted w/ the HK45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever since the P30 was unveiled I've been interested in having one, especially when the P30LS was revealed on HK's website, I still want one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Getting Acquainted w/ the HK45

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Ever since the P30 was unveiled I've been interested in having one, especially when the P30LS was revealed on HK's website, I still want one but I don't know if or when that's going to happen. Since the same time, I've been eyeballing the Hk45 I'd been lusting over the P30 before I saw the PT endurance testing and the results of the HK45s test just pushed me over the edge. I fondled one on display at Shot show and was really impressed with it's feel compared to some other double stack .45s and the LEM trigger on the demo gun really was something...

...So I had the opportunity to help a friend out and bought his HK45 with nine mags and a VMII (oddly enough I sold him the VMII last year when I decided to opt out on getting HK45 after snagging the VMII on eBay for a pretty good deal, cordovan with black shark ) So now for the last couple days I've been dry-firing and doing dry-reload drills till my hands have gotten raw.

I got to put a few rounds down range the other day and I'm pretty happy with the gun, I like it a heck of a lot more than the G21SF I just sold. This weekend I'm instructing an Iowa specific course and I will probably be using the HK45 for my demonstrations and hopefully getting some holster time in with it and will probably be taking the pistol to TDI in May.

The pistol is a V1 which allows for cocked and locked carry and for the time being that's probably how I'll be carrying it but a conversion to LEM is probably on the horizon as that when I do dry drawing practice I have a hard time getting the grip right with proper placement of my thumb over the safety, we'll see how it works out, it may be just growing pains.

For holsters I've got the VMII and with some of the left over $$$ from the Glock package sale I ordered a Kydex OWB from Cane and Derby , and just in talking with them on the phone all I can say is that I can't wait to get this holster in my hands. If the product is a good as the people making it this will be the best piece of Kydex on the planet. Their product is similar to the likes of Raven Concealment but their turn around time is about 20 days for non-standard items.

So now back to the gun...

I've blacked out the rear sight as I dislike rear dots, eventually a set of Heinie sights will find their way onto the gun just like I have on my Hi Power and two 1911s. The trough in the trigger guard is annoying as all get out but doesn't seem to irritate my finger that bad, but we'll see what a high round count does for that, odds are I may drop the gun off at Bowie Tactical while I'm at TDI and see what he can do with it.

The gun comes with two backstraps, one small and one medium. I've found I prefer the medium as it seems to fill my hand much better and gives me a more consistent grip. I was always skeptical about the magazine release but I'm actually beginning to warm up to it. I really like the ambit slide lock/release and the feel of the gun in the hand is just amazing, I always loved the grip of the P2000 and the HK45 comes pretty close to it.

So far my only gripe is that trough, I don't know what HK was thinking when they put that on the gun. Your basic field strip is very user friendly, I was able to change out the back strap without using a hammer and punch. The gun holds 10 in the magazine which is down three from the Glock but up two from a 1911, that's 25% more ammunition which is OK, but I'd rather have the 12rds in a USP45 but some concessions had to be made to get the contours of the HK45.

More to come as I get more trigger time on the gun.

The one thing that really surprises me is how well this gun carries and hides given it's size.

Senior Moderator
    Pictures man...
    AZ Hawk likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Pictures man...
    Uploading...

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the trough you're talking about. I'm becoming more and more interested in HKs.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the trough you're talking about. I'm becoming more and more interested in HKs.
    Wait one

JD [OP]
    Administrator

That's a sweet pistol. I wonder what the design thought was behind that trough. Is that something that can be sanded to blend with the rest of the trigger guard without impacting the integrity or strength of it?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    That's a sweet pistol. I wonder what the design thought was behind that trough. Is that something that can be sanded to blend with the rest of the trigger guard without impacting the integrity or strength of it?
    Yes, there's a couple of outfits that do really good work on poly guns, if I were really brave I could probably do it myself but as of right now I'm more than happy to let someone else blend it in if it seems to be an issue.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I also have an HK45 which is my dedicated night stand handgun and it is an amazing pistol. Congratulations and enjoy it!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Lead Moderator
    I am have been interested in the p30 for a while now too. Since I already own a USP it is hard to justify another HK . Glad you like your HK45. Looks like a nice gun . I really like the way my buddies SK2000 handled , so if the 45 is similar you should have a sweet pistol.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Very, Very Nice! I've been considering trading off my USP-40 for a USP Compact 45 for my primary CW. The USP, because it's smaller and slimmer than the HK45 Compact.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Very nice.

Looks like you traded up from the Glock
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Very nice.

Looks like you traded up from the Glock
    After shooting the gun a little more over the weekend, I'd give the above statement a big

Shot my first USPSA match with the gun over the weekend, placed 14 out of 30, beat the other guy shooting limited 10, beat all but one guy shooting production. Not bad for my third time shooting the gun and running it from an IWB holster. However I am planning on converting the gun to light (5.5lbs) LEM, if I don't like it I'll remove the decocker functionality of the gun and make it a variant 10.

I run this a heck of a lot better than the Glock 21.

I love the look of that gun...when I buy a 45 it will get a hard look.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links