Front Slide Serrations on 1911's: Love 'em Or Not?

This is a discussion on Front Slide Serrations on 1911's: Love 'em Or Not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In your view, are front slide serrations a "must have" on a 1911 or are they as useless as tail fins on a '59 Cadillac. ...

View Poll Results: Your Opinion About Front Cocking Serrations

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love Front Cocking Serrations

14 16.47%
  • Loathe Front Cocking Serrations

28 32.94%
  • No Opinion. I'll Take My 1911s Both Ways

43 50.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Front Slide Serrations on 1911's: Love 'em Or Not?

In your view, are front slide serrations a "must have" on a 1911 or are they as useless as tail fins on a '59 Cadillac.

Seems like they first adorned 1911s beginning 15-20 years ago, supposedly as an aid to press check the pistol. Perhaps this is of some benefit if one is shooting a 1911 with optics. Such a method seems more awkward to use to press check and unnecessary for the huge majority of 1911s with front slide serrations but no optics. They have evolved to become a fashion statement on some 1911s, much as tail fins, spoilers, and hood ornaments are on automobiles. Vent ribs on Colt Pythons and tacti-cool dress-up AR 15s come to mind in the gun world.

Are front slide serrations so indispensable that one is missing out by not having them on his 1911 slide? Are folks out there in forumland habitually using front slide serrations? Or is it an appearance thing only these days?

I don't care for the look nor like the notion of the additional sharp edged grooves "sawing on" holsters, clothing, skin etc.. The serrations are an added place to catch unnecessary gunk; easily brushed out when cleaning but not needed in first place.

I'm also a bit unsure of the expediency of fiddling about with a loaded gun down on its muzzle end but perhaps no one has lost any digits due to a mishap using front slide serrations.

1911s seem to work fine and be easy to operate without the decoration of front slide serrations.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I like them on some guns it all depends on the over all look. Some I like plain and original and some I like with tons of gingerbread.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Wow, Dragman! That was a speedy response. Your reply was there before I could look it over after posting it.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I happen to like the tail fins on a '59 Cadillac.

But, no, there is absolutely no reason I can think of for front slide serrations. On much of anything; I don't like being that close to the muzzle of a loaded weapon.
    bmcgilvray and ICTsnub like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Hi RevolvingMag;

Yeah, despite the wretched excess of '59 Cadillac styling, I like the tail fins too.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Wow, Dragman! That was a speedy response. Your reply was there before I could look it over after posting it.
    just drawn to the 1911 topic I guess. lol
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

JD
    Administrator
    Funny, I just figured out why I like them the other night, in order to press check you have the take the thumb safety off, so when I do that my thumb is blocking the serrations on that side, with the FCS I can keep my thumb in place and not compromise my grip and still have two digits on the serrations. It's a quirk, but I like them, are they a must have? No. I do find that the more finely cut serrations are more visually appealing such as those on the TRS below.

Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special

Nighthawk Custom TRB (Talon/Recon/Bobtail)

I'd never thought much of them until I started shooting more IDPA and attending some more higher stress classes, I was amazed to find myself using them all of a sudden, had never really thought much about them but I started using them, especially on the Baer, it's lock up is so tight than when pulling from the rear to do a check I'd end up ejecting a round some times, but could use less force when pressing from the front. Over all I'd say using them improves MY weapon handling in some cases.

VIP Member
    No opinion on the serrations now as to the tail fins they do give a ’59 Cadillac a very distinctive look.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I wouldn't say I loathe them, but I did order my Baer Custom Carry without them.

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Idiocy, period. If one knows how to properly do a press-check, they have no function. They only help holster-makers, in that they wear holsters faster.

los
    I don't think front serrations look bad [on any pistol], I just don't see them as being a must-have feature, specially on a 1911.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Not for me...

I don't have any 1911s with front slide serrations, and probably would not buy any. They don't fill any requirement for the way I use these guns, and I don't think they look good.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

GM
    I do not like front serrations.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I don't have any 1911s with front slide serrations, and probably would not buy any. They don't fill any requirement for the way I use these guns, and I don't think they look good.

-- Picture --
    Nice Colts you have there
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    ...They only help holster-makers, in that they wear holsters faster.
    I think I've seen you mention this before, but I've never seen an issue in any of my holsters, I could see if we're talking nylon but a good quality holster shouldn't get that eaten up, it will also vary on the gun in question as the serrations on my Baer are pretty smooth on the edges. I have a Springfield Loaded that would probably be a little more abrasive on leather as it's not as nicely edged. Of course there's always Kydex.

I've been using the same VMII with a number of 1911s with cocking serrations and my holsters see a lot of use from carry, IDPA and classes and it's holding up pretty darn well for it's age considering it was a used holster. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on my latest VMII for my Nighthawk as I have a solid baseline on use and age for both, but somehow I don't see it being an issue.

Lead Moderator
    Not for me but everyone has different needs and likes.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links