Sp101 vs. Gp100

Sp101 vs. Gp100

This is a discussion on Sp101 vs. Gp100 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As is true for many of us, I have limited funds and an appetite for more guns than I presently own! My dilemma right now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sp101 vs. Gp100

Sp101 vs. Gp100

As is true for many of us, I have limited funds and an appetite for more guns than I presently own! My dilemma right now is this: my SP101 is a very nice pistol and I like the various calibers it can shoot, but I find the .327 Magnum just a bit too snappy for my taste. So I have been considering trading it on a GP100, probably the .327 model, and this should pretty much take care of most of the recoil " problem". But I really hate to give up the 101: it handles the .32 H&R Magnum like it's a .22 and that is great at the range --- and I think it could do some real damage to any BG who comes along. I might even consider the GP in the .357 mode, but I haven't quite given up on the .327. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated: THANKS in advance.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have a SP101. To me its a better all around revolver than the GP simply because of its size. It can be be used for CC where the GP is probaly not the best option to carry. I shoot light .38s all the way up to full power Buffalo Bore .357s in mine. I would like to a have a GP, but I will never part with my SP101.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Wormy: Thanks for that. Have you ever shot the .327 mag? What did you think if you did?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

i have a gp in 357, it shoots great and if you run out of bullets you can use it as club

I also own an SP101 and really like it. I shoot light load 38s for practice, but at the end of practice I'll put through 10 or 15 rounds of .357 just to keep me aware of how the gun handles with that stuff. I carry it with .357. I have not fired the GP, but I'm so pleased with the SP, I would not be looking for a replacement anyway.

If you like them both keep the one you have and find some way to get the one you want. You WILL find a way. You'll regret it if you give up on owning one of them. Voice of experience here.
    Attached Images

wmhath__ Great pics and thanks for your thoughts. Will ponder seriously what you shared.

paullie: If the BG gets that close, I just might use my SOG rather than the Ruger as a club-- but, who knows?!

Cool

Whatever you decide, keep the SP-101. As has been already said you will regret letting that one go. Wmhawth knows what he is talking about. One of each.

photo.jpg

My .357 SP-101
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Wormy: Thanks for that. Have you ever shot the .327 mag? What did you think if you did?
    I have not shot the .327, but I have shot full power .357s. They are for sure a handful in the SP101, but I can handle it OK. And I certainly dont dread shooting them. If you didnt CC your SP101, then the GP100 would probaly be a good choice.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Old School: Sounds like I should keep the SP101 and acquire the GP in due time. Probably the best way to go because I really would hate to give up the SP101. But has anyone shot the .327? Comments?

3 inch GP 100 is on my wish list

Definitely keep your SP101. You'll regret it later if you get rid of it. Speaking from experience here. Just wait and get the GP100 when you can.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Keep the SP101, and add a GP100 in .357
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Keep the SP101 if you really want to but get a GP100 in 357 Magnum.
    BugDude likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links