Polymer Public Defender w/Stainless Cylinder

This is a discussion on Polymer Public Defender w/Stainless Cylinder within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Polymer public defender ss 2.jpg hornady.jpg polymer public defender.jpg Just wanted to post a few pictures of the new gun. The crane and cylinder of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polymer Public Defender w/Stainless Cylinder

Polymer Public Defender w/Stainless Cylinder

Polymer public defender ss 2.jpghornady.jpgpolymer public defender.jpgJust wanted to post a few pictures of the new gun.

The crane and cylinder of the model I received are not as pictured on the Taurus website.

ONLY THE CYLINDER (and ejection rod) is stainless not the crane.

Anyhow here are a few pictures

2. Remove Ads

I like it. How does she shoot? What ammo is that?
    NRA Life Member

Nice gun let us know how she does on the range. And Critical Defense 45 LC very nice.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    actually that ammo is Leverevolution ammo. You can tell a difference between the leverevolution ammo and the critical defense ammo because critical defense ammo has a flat tip that is flush with the top of the hollowpoint, the leverevolution ammo has the point. I use the same thing in my .44 and it is a great load for self defense in my opinion. Seems to me like it would be a handful in a polymer gun such as this though
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

No sir. I don't like it. Seems like too much plastic for a large bore revolver. Just my .02
    I'd never bid on it from the pictures. But I reserve the right to change my tune if I happen across one at the store.
    How does she shoot? And let us know how she's holding up after 1k rounds at the range.

Seems like too much plastic for a large bore revolver.
    Actually, with polymer revolvers, that's sort of the point. From the initial reviews, it emerged that these snubbies are softer-shooting than their aluminum and scandium-framed brethren. The plastic helps absorb recoil and it is this, in addition to weight savings, that make them an attractive proposition. (All of which I understand intellectually, but being Old School...)
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Actually, with polymer revolvers, that's sort of the point. From the initial reviews, it emerged that these snubbies are softer-shooting than their aluminum and scandium-framed brethren. The plastic helps absorb recoil and it is this, in addition to weight savings, that make them an attractive proposition. (All of which I understand intellectually, but being Old School...)
    Note my profile pic. I love what polymers have done for the handgun industry. But I'm leery of what I perceive as a tipping point between ease-of-carry and rugged durability. What I see and read on the Taurus Web page is not matching up with what I'm seeing and reading in OP's post.
    Until I hold one in my hand, I can't give my best judgement. With only pictures and a brief description I can only guess-timate that it belongs in the "Ok if you like it, not for me" list.

To the OP, I hope it runs like a Casio*. My best friend owns one of the older models and loves it.

*Twenty years ago, I wore a Casio watch through Basic and Infantry AIT at Fort Benning, GA. IMO, You can't buy a better watch.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    actually that ammo is Leverevolution ammo. You can tell a difference between the leverevolution ammo and the critical defense ammo because critical defense ammo has a flat tip that is flush with the top of the hollowpoint, the leverevolution ammo has the point. I use the same thing in my .44 and it is a great load for self defense in my opinion. Seems to me like it would be a handful in a polymer gun such as this though
    Ah you're right I didn't enlarge the pics to spot that good eye, I use the same in my 629.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 45 Colt :: 45 Colt 225 gr FTX®LEVERevolution®

that's what it was.

first 3 rounds ofWinchester PDX1 410 bore 2.5inch then last 2 rounds are the hornady.

Having a hell of a time finding a cheap iwb holster (Simply Rugged is making a custom rig) that will seat well in middle of back...

let everyone know how she fares after a few hundred rounds...

having a hard time not carrying my P3AT, maybe do both and get bigger pants

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post

To the OP, I hope it runs like a Casio*. My best friend owns one of the older models and loves it.

*Twenty years ago, I wore a Casio watch through Basic and Infantry AIT at Fort Benning, GA. IMO, You can't buy a better watch.
    Casio's and Seiko's all the way.....

Quote Originally Posted by paratus View Post
    Polymer public defender ss 2.jpghornady.jpgpolymer public defender.jpgJust wanted to post a few pictures of the new gun.

The crane and cylinder of the model I received are not as pictured on the Taurus website.

ONLY THE CYLINDER (and ejection rod) is stainless not the crane.

Anyhow here are a few pictures
    If a comparison is made side by side, this is not what they are advertising...
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Is the frame 100% polymer or is it a polymer overmold on a steel frame?

I mentioned this gun in a gun store a couple of weeks ago and was told by the sales clerk that no one makes a holster that will fit it (yet).

polymer over "full steel" and steel top strap.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Is the frame 100% polymer or is it a polymer overmold on a steel frame?

I mentioned this gun in a gun store a couple of weeks ago and was told by the sales clerk that no one makes a holster that will fit it (yet).
    polymer over "full steel" and steel top strap.
    I believe there is a desantis, whickh I don't like:
    TAURUS JUDGE PUBLIC DEFENDER POLYMER — DeSantis Holster

Howdy!

I don't have the polymer but I have a Ultra Lite Public Defender and carry it all the time. I purchased a IWB holster from Remora size # 8RSS which they recommended over the # 9 listed on the website. Works well in fact I use it more than the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake I purchased which is a belt holster but can be used as a IWB also. I have a hard time drawing the Public Defender from the Simply Rugged holster so I prefer the Remora IWB more. The Remora was only about $29.00 as I recall.

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon

Thnx for spark'n me interest
    i looked 'em over
    How did you decide which one cuz there is like 7 of 'em?
    What is your purpose for this gun =s carry on person, have at home, etc?
    Is there much of a cost dif with titanium?
    i wonder if there web stats are accurate since they list a 2" & 2.5" barrel both having same 9 over all length?? i'm like n it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links