Honestly I am ready to give up on my Glock 19 Gen4.

This is a discussion on Honestly I am ready to give up on my Glock 19 Gen4. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not intended to a Glock bashing, I am just telling my story, to begin with this is my third Glock, I will have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Honestly I am ready to give up on my Glock 19 Gen4.

This is not intended to a Glock bashing, I am just telling my story, to begin with this is my third Glock, I will have to say the first two were reliable, the trigger is IMO not so good, the grip on the the Gen 3 was to much like a brick, the Gen4 grip is more to my liking.

The G19 Gen4 has been a jam-o-matic with 115 FMJ, which is what is available for range ammo in my area. I have not shot many self-defense loads so I am not sure about the reliability with those.

I know about the #4 spring and have made two phone calls to Glock each time with promise to ship one, so far after 7 weeks no spring. Conclusion Glock's customer service is bad.

As I have done more research on the #4 spring it does not fix the 115FMJ jamming problem, so I can get from Lone Wolf a conversion kit for around $35 to make the Gen4 set up a Gen3. Sounds like a good idea, but I have lost confidence in the Glock as a pistol and a company. I don't want to invest more money into a fix and more money in ammo to test the fix.

Anyone that has converted the the spring to old style have any feedback please.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Iv read elsewhere, not sure here or one of the other boards that glock is back ordered on springs.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

IMO from the complaints I've seen about the Gen4's, I think they are junk. Sorry you don't like the Gen3. Any of the first 3 Generations are good.
    I love my Gen 3 19 and 26. I'm about to get an EXO version of both to add to the collection.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    'Sorry MitchSteve. I may have bought my last new Glock. I love my Gen3's and see no reason to go to Gen4.

Who knows, maybe they'll straighten up and get their act together on Gen5. But there are plenty of good quality firearm makers out there. Glock will have to prove themselves again before I go back.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    IMO from the complaints I've seen about the Gen4's, I think they are junk. Sorry you don't like the Gen3. Any of the first 3 Generations are good.
    I love my Gen 3 19 and 26. I'm about to get an EXO version of both to add to the collection.
    I got a Gen 4 22 and it aint junk. 100% so far. The ATF must not think they are junk either as they have approved them for their agents.

MichSteve, just be patient, get the right spring and youll be happy again.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I got a Gen 4 22 and it aint junk. 100% so far. The ATF must not think they are junk either as they have approved them for their agents.

MichSteve, just be patient, get the right spring and youll be happy again.
    I posted that the #4 spring is still having problems with 115 FMJ jamming, what spring are you referring to.

JD
    Administrator
    I bought a Gen 4 around July of 2010, and it had lots of jamming issues, we replaced the Spring with a kit from Glockmeister and it's been 100% since.

I've had my gen4 27 for about a month now and put over 500 rounds through it flawlessly. I love this gun. Maybe the op should consider moving up to .40 cal? Haven't heard of any issues with them.

I have held a Gen4 and all I can say is, I'm not buying one. I love my Gen3 G23 but, honestly, the more I hold this new Kahr CW9 the less I like the way the G23 feels in my hand. I plan on having a grip reduction done on it in the near future, we'll see how that helps out.
    farronwolf likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Love my gen3 19, held a gen4 and was not thrilled.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    I've had my gen4 27 for about a month now and put over 500 rounds through it flawlessly. I love this gun. Maybe the op should consider moving up to .40 cal? Haven't heard of any issues with them.
    You may be right about the 40 cal. but Glock won't get any more of my money.

If I understand correctly, the previous .40 Glocks were "upsized" 9mm pistols. With the Gen 4, Glock "downsized" the .40 to get the 9mm versions - hence all the trouble with the lower power 9mm ammo. This was apparently done to address some of the previous issues with the .40 Glocks, especially when weapon mounted lights were used.

OP - I would suggest waiting for the new spring and using one of your other guns for now. Selling the gun will just result in a loss. You WILL get that gun running right. A new spring from Wolff, as suggested by others, will be a lot less costly than selling the gun at a loss.

I know it is frustrating - been there myself. Here's my rundown over the last 10 years:

Kahr P9 - numerous issues due to too much frame flex, got a refund
    Ruger SP101 - no issues
    Glock 19 Gen 3 - frame recall, issue with mag followers (replaced for free) - zero issues since
    Kahr PM9 #1 - numerous issues, replaced by...
    Kahr PM9 #2 - no issues but lost confidence in it, sold it
    Glock 26 Gen 3 - no issues
    Ruger LCP #1 - no issues
    Ruger LCP #2 - took 2 trips back to Ruger to get running right
    Kahr PM9 #3 - no issues with 6-rd mag, jams with 7-rd mag

So, of the 9 handguns I have or have had, 5 have had issues of one kind or other. It happens.
    roadrash likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you don't trust it and aren't happy personally I'd sell it with a minimal loss and move on to something else. I have a gen 3 glock that I absolutely love but if it had given me that many problems it would've gotten traded away, just be smart about it you don't really have to lose money try to make an even swap.

don't count on the #4 spring as being the solve all gen4 problems,their are several reports and vids showing G19 gen4's with the #4 spring that still continue to have ejection and jamming problems..seems at this point you have nothing to loose by trying the Lone Wolf conversion kit,if that doesn't work consider selling it..

YouTube - Glock19 Gen4 Problems

Somebody should start a forum devoted to Glock and Kahr malfunctions.

Call it KlockTalk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links