FN High-Power

FN High-Power

This is a discussion on FN High-Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody else have a High-Power? If so, how do you like it? I just acquired an FN HP Compact. I traded it at a gun ...

Thread: FN High-Power

JT [OP]

FN High-Power

Anybody else have a High-Power? If so, how do you like it? I just acquired an FN HP Compact. I traded it at a gun store for a Norinco Model 320 (UZI copy) that I had a long term love-hate relationship with. Letís just say that I reached the point that I knew I would never trust it to be 100% reliable. I went to a gun store and got the best possible deal I could for something of value that I wanted. It turned out to be the High Power.

I had always wanted a High Power just because I liked the look and feel, but I never really had a good reason to buy one. After looking it over I think it may be a keeper, although I wonít know for sure until I range test it. My philosophy is you can never have too many handguns. Especially since I have kids and by the time they are old enough there is no telling what the political climate will be and if they will be able to buy a handgun. They only ones they may be able to get are the ones I pass on to them, so I want plenty to go around.

BTW Ė Why did I trade it at a gun store instead of selling it at a gun show? I felt this gun dealer (who also sells at guns shows) would give me just as good of deal as any other dealer there, and I did not want to sell that type of weapon to an individual I did not know. Maybe I was being paranoid but I didnít want this type of evil ďassault weaponĒ coming directly from me into unknown hands.

Senior Moderator
    I bought mine under just about the premise you\'re talking about. I found the gun to be extremely reliable and accurate.

I didn\'t care for the magazine safety or the heavy trigger so I had a local gunsmith remove the magzine safety and do some work on the trigger. That made a world of difference.

I like HPs but it\'s a fairly large and heavy gun - it\'s about the same size and weight as a 1911.

I especially didn\'t like the thumb safety and felt like it could easily be missed if I was in a real hurry to get it off.

For now, I\'m keeping it, but I rarely carry or shoot it. I guess I\'m just not as impressed with it as the BHP hype lead me to believe. But I am impressed with its realiability and accuracy.

JT [OP]
    Mine doesnít have a safety. Itís a Double Action with a de-cocker. I usually prefer DAO in a handgun, but they didnít have one in the compact model. It was either get the DAO in the full size model or the DA in compact. I decided the compact would be more useful. Like you said the full size is pretty big. I wouldnít see myself carrying it. If I was going to carry something that big it would be a 1911 or Glock 21.

Another handgun I always wanted but had no real reason to get is a CZ. One of these days Iíll think up an excuse.

Senior Moderator
    I\'ve been tempted numerous times to buy a CZ; but I haven\'t been able to decide which one. From what I\'ve heard, it\'s an excellent gun.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by JT
    My philosophy is you can never have too many handguns. Especially since I have kids and by the time they are old enough there is no telling what the political climate will be and if they will be able to buy a handgun. They only ones they may be able to get are the ones I pass on to them, so I want plenty to go around.
    I have always felt the exact same way. My youngest is now 20 and is counting the days until his 21st birthday. Luckily he will still be able to buy one but more than likely I will present him one on his birthday. My daughter, who just turned 21 this year, LOVES shooting as well and surprised me a couple of weeks ago when I asked her which one of all my guns she liked shooting the most picked up my Kimber TLE. I guess I expected her to pick a 9mm or .40 for some reason. That was the second surprise that day. The first one was that she is a deadly accurate shot (with one of the weirdest stances I have ever seen). Both of them want their CCW so I am giving them gift certificates for training at the local range.

JT [OP]
    Originally posted by Bumper
    Both of them want their CCW so I am giving them gift certificates for training at the local range.
    Great idea. Maybe I need to do that for my wife. She keeps saying she will get her CHL, but never gets around to it.

My daughter is five, and is about to become a shooter. I got her a BB gun, and on Christmas day she is going to get her first shooting lesson. I can wait. Videotape will be rolling on this event.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by JT
    My daughter is five, and is about to become a shooter. I got her a BB gun, and on Christmas day she is going to get her first shooting lesson. I can wait. Videotape will be rolling on this event.
    When our kids were just kids and I was a reserve police officer, they would all flock around me interested in my duty belt and my pistol. I taught them to NEVER under any circumstances touch my weapon unless I was there and told them it was okay (it was always locked up when I was not around, but just in case....) and they always minded. But they were kids with a natural curiosity. One Christmas I bought the boys all BB guns and on a family camping trip to the desert I took several of my guns and their BB guns. I let them shoot the rifles and was surprised that they listened to the rules and basic instruction and then with me hovering over them they shot my .22 rifle. The boys (3 of them) were really pretty good for the first time and I, of course, bragged on them. I then let them hold my Smith & Wesson 5904 9mm and with my hands over theirs allowed them to shoot a few times. They were not very good and got bored with it pretty quick. During the shooting of the rifle, our daughter had trouble holding the rifle to her shoulder properly no matter how much I worked with her and was simply a horrible shot. She declined shooting my pistol.

After all the fun, the boys all took off with their BB guns leaving her behind. She comes over crying that the boys were good and she wasn\'t. I asked her if she wanted to try shooting the pistol and since the boys were all gone and could no longer witness her failure she said okay. After working with her for a little bit, she was hitting the target as well as they had with the rifle. When they arrived back in camp, she rubbed it in good that she was better than they were with the pistol. When we got home I bought her a BB pistol. I don\'t think she shot it more than a couple of times when we went on a trip, but she had \"saved face\" and took away their bragging rights.

Now at 21, as I said in the previous post she is a very good pistol shot and is not intimidated at all about shooting them. I can\'t figure out the weird stance so hopefully a little training will help get her squared away.

Regarding gift certificates for training even for the non shooters (my wife doesn\'t care for handguns) the place I go for training offers self defense classes. I would like her to have some training to fall back on in case she needs to defend herself so the gift certificate works for her too. I also bought each of them a Palm Defender pepper spray unit.

JT [OP]
    Since my daughter was very little we have stressed to her how she is never allowed to touch the guns (which are locked up, but for extra precaution). We got her an Eddie the Eagle video to help drive home the lessons. Now we are transitioning to her being able to use them, but only when I am with her. I bought her the BB gun and explained to her that it was a real gun and that it was to be treated as such, and even gets stored in the gun safe. If she handles the BB gun with all of the care of a real gun, she can move up to a 22, when we decide she is mature and responsible enough. Iím thinking maybe when she is seven, if she can handle it.

Apparently we have done a good job teaching her the dangers of guns. When I bought the BB gun and explained it was for her and how it was to be treated just like any of my other guns, she was actually apprehensive about it and wasnít sure if she wanted to shoot it. I explained to her that it was dangerous but she will be shooting with me, and I would not let her get hurt in any way.

Love my BHPs

Have two MKIIs. Both shoot far better than me. Both pretty much stock except for sights. Never had a problem hitting the thumb safety. But never had a problem with the standard safety on a 1911. Will not allow one of the so called \'combat safeties'on my guns.

I was searching for a FN HIgh Power SA in .40 cal when I bought my .45; seems nobody in Texas had one for sale that day while the 1911 was better priced and on my \"to get\" list anyways. Ive still got a place at my home for a high power, Ive got to finish my Springfield first before I start a new project.

VIP Member

Browning High Power

My BHP came to me by way of trade. A S&W 5906 went to the dealer the BHP came home with me.

At any rate very accurate and not bad to carry. In a fit of temporary insanity I traded it to a guy who had a Glock I wanted. Didn\'t like the Glock and traded him back for the BHP. It won\'t leave again.

JT [OP]
    I took the new High-Power out for itís first range test on Christmas day. 101 rounds of Winchester White Box and 50 rounds Federal Hydra-Shocks, with no problems. Once I warmed up to the trigger, the accuracy was pretty good. Looks like it may be a keeper.

Bumper, love the new Avatar.

JT & Bumper, Thanks for sharing the fam stories. If I do not get back on befoe New Years, i wish you (Bumper, Nighthawk, Clipse, JT, MadDog, Betty, MR & MS CHP, Scott) all a Happy New Years.

~Andy

JT [OP]
    Thanks. And a Happy New Year to you APachon. And to everyone else.

Links