Sold My Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Sold My Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a few stove pipes with it, started reading about guys breaking out dremels and/or sending it back to Kahr, hated the field strip process. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By red13

Thread: Sold My Kahr PM9

Sold My Kahr PM9

Had a few stove pipes with it, started reading about guys breaking out dremels and/or sending it back to Kahr, hated the field strip process. I just got a XD sub compact and it pushed paper all day long. Stress gone :)

2. Remove Ads

Sorry you had problems with yours. XDSC is also a great gun. Enjoy your new gun. God Bless

VIP Member
    'Sorry to hear about that. I got my PM9 from a pawn shop (of all places), and it has turned out to be one of my favorites. I do believe that it has earned a set of night sights. I'm overdue for some good luck.

Actually, have to 'fess up. I've gone from loving that little gun to not trusting it. I've had a few stove pipes recently myself, with quality ammo, clean gun, well past the break-in. I've replaced it with with my 642 for carry. I'm probably looking at the local shop tomorrow to see if they have another snubbie I can trade for.

Maybe a 442, love to find a good 36.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Yeah cheers to all that own them and love them, I just wanted something that's much easier to deal with for a 5 month newbie like me. I have this one, a full size XDM, a SP 101, GP 100 and fairer CCW laws coming here in MN, believe I'm set. :) thanks all. "Life is good" -Hickok45

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    Had a few stove pipes with it, started reading about guys breaking out dremels and/or sending it back to Kahr, hated the field strip process. I just got a XD sub compact and it pushed paper all day long. Stress gone :)
    I am sorry to hear about your experience with the PM9; hopefully you will enjoy the XD. Personally I believe the PM9 is an excellent firearm and very reliable too. What makes you hate the field strip process so much? I do not think it is difficult at all.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It isn't difficult but it isn't as easy as the XD, guess I'm lazy. People say and I agree that the pm9 really has to stay wet, you have to keep all points lubed really, really well. I didn't like all the upkeep. Also it's been said that it really is a 1911 style gun and they are known for problems with hollow ammo. I never got that far but I didn't want to run into that as well, I just want a firearm for protection not another wife. :)

GM
    It isn't difficult but it isn't as easy as the XD, guess I'm lazy. People say and I agree that the pm9 really has to stay wet, you have to keep all points lubed really, really well. I didn't like all the upkeep. Also it's been said that it really is a 1911 style gun and they are known for problems with hollow ammo. I never got that far but I didn't want to run into that as well, I just want a firearm for protection not another wife. :)
    If that is what you believe then you did the right thing when you got rid of the PM9; the only important is that you are happy. Congrats on the XD; enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I sold mine just recently too. But I got rid of it mainly because I have since fallen in love with the Walther PPS.

The new owner had no interest in any of the accessories, though. So I now have a High Noon Pocket Grabber Holster and a Crimson Trace LaserGuard for the PM9 that I need to sell off too. Maybe I will try posting them in the Member Buy, Sell, Trade forum here.

Just curious how many rounds you had through the PM9 when you started getting stovepipes. Could it have been time for a new recoil spring or a good cleaning of the extractor? I have a PM9 with only several hundred rounds through it and I like it.

I ran into problems at 300-400 or so rounds but that actually isn't why i sold it. Kahr was willing to help me out. Like I said, I just wanted a lower maintenance gun.

I have the same round count as you, about 400 - 500. First FTFs. then the extractor blew off. Kahr installed a new extractor and recoil spring free, and also polished the feed ramp at no charge. Doug gave me great service.
    I had it to the range once since getting it back, and had a FTF on the first round. 99 trouble free rounds after that. So, the jury is still out on my Kahr PM9.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ After that kind of failures, I'd have a hard time trusting it again, too - it'll take a few hundred rounds, for-sure. I do wish you the best, though, and please do let us all know how things go, as you put more rounds through.

------

@ Rugerguy -

I'm also a newbie (about 5 and a half months or so in the community) , but I've arrived at this in just the opposite manner as you, Rugerguy.

My EDC is an XDm9 3.8 Compact, which I bought in January specifically for the purpose of daily-CC. I fell in love with my full-sized XDm9's features and ease-of-use, and figured that as a beginner, I should probably keep things as simple as I can, so I decided to just get a smaller version of my main range/class/HD pistol for my daily carry. I'm now somewhere around 2000 rounds into her, and excluding ammo-related failures (my FTFire rate with the 115 gr. WWB, which is my most common range-fodder, is about 0.3% [this is a combined figure, as I have about 5000 rounds through its full-sized sister]; neither of my XDms have had any failures on premium SD/HD ammo), she's been flawless.

It took me about two weeks before I realized I needed something smaller - and thinner - than the double-stacked XDm.

I'm jeans & T-shirt about 99% of the time, and in my usual outfit, my Compact XDm disappears at my 3-o'clock (strong side), thanks to an IWB Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro and a good belt. The trouble arises when I start to wear more "adult" clothes: with lighter khakis under a more fitted, "dressier" sweater, the bulk of the above rig becomes noticeable: I find at those times that moving to my CBST or my MTAC usually resolves that concern. But when I go to my dress pants, it starts to become more of a problem .

The PM9 became my solution to that problem.

It's a nice little 9mm, but you're right, it's harder to take care of and a little more picky about its ammo than the XD/XDm.

For me, though, it fills a very specific opening in my defense, and so far (I only have about 400 rounds through my PM9, and that includes her previous owner's 150 or so), she still has my trust. I'll be sure to keep a careful eye on her, though!

Best of luck with your new XD!

Links