Found a great range that rents!

This is a discussion on Found a great range that rents! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week, I was in Matthews NC (suburb of Charlotte). I located an indoor range, Firepower, about a mile from my son's home that sells ...

Thread: Found a great range that rents!

Last week, I was in Matthews NC (suburb of Charlotte). I located an indoor range, Firepower, about a mile from my son's home that sells and rents guns.
    I'm new to firearms so I was thrilled to find a place to rent and fire before I made a purchase. Prior to finding Firepower I had thought I would purchase a Kahr CW9 or Ruger LC9 for EDC this summer. Then, in September purchase a Ruger SR9C or Glock 30 or 36.

On my first visit I shot a Kahr PM9 (No CW9 for rental) and a Glock 36. Out of 50 rounds the Kahr had three failures to eject. The Glock 36 (50 rounds) performed flawlessly. On my second visit, I tied the Kahr PM9 (25 rounds) again followed by a Glock 19 (25 rounds) and 30. This time the Kahr had one failure to eject as did the Glock 19. The Glock 30 (50 rounds) had no issues.

After shooting, I spend about an hour with two of the sales staff. Both were very knowledgable and willing to spend time with me. One carries a Glock 19 and the other carries a Kahr PM9. Both felt that the rentals are not cared for as an one does for their personal property and that may have caused the eject issues.

All of my shots with the Kahr PM9 and Glock 19 were low to the left. My shots with the Glock 30 and 36 were closer to center.

I've eliminated the Kahr CW9 from my list. Now, I need to decide between a Ruger LC9 and SR9C for summer carry.

Overall I spent $153 for two hours of range time, rented 5 guns, 200 rounds of ammo, targets, ear and eye protection which I believe was money well spent!.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I totally agree that money spent renting guns (if you don't have friends with those guns) is money well spent. There is a great range in Greenville, SC that rents a bunch of different things-allowed me to "pull the trigger" on my Glock 26 a few months ago.

Have you looked at the Kimber Solo? I handled one yesterday, feels tremendous in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I totally agree that money spent renting guns (if you don't have friends with those guns) is money well spent. There is a great range in Greenville, SC that rents a bunch of different things-allowed me to "pull the trigger" on my Glock 26 a few months ago.

Have you looked at the Kimber Solo? I handled one yesterday, feels tremendous in the hand.

I've read a lot of good things about the Solo but I've not handled one.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    My local gun range stopped renting guns without an annual membership. Seems that within a month of each other, someone rented a gun in the first instance, and committed suicide at the the range with that gun. A month later, a mother and son had rented guns and the mother killed her son and then herself in the head with a rented gun. You just never know!!!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    My local gun range stopped renting guns without an annual membership. Seems that within a month of each other, someone rented a gun in the first instance, and committed suicide at the the range with that gun. A month later, a mother and son had rented guns and the mother killed her son and then herself in the head with a rented gun. You just never know!!!
    Wow that is sad!

Since I was new to this particular range they did drill and quizz me before they allowed me to shoot. However, like you said, you never know what the other fellow is planning.

Sponsored Links