Care of Parkerized Finish

This is a discussion on Care of Parkerized Finish within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you out there with experience with Parkerized finishes: how do you care for the finish? I'm guessing just wiping down with Hoppe's ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xader

Thread: Care of Parkerized Finish

For those of you out there with experience with Parkerized finishes: how do you care for the finish? I'm guessing just wiping down with Hoppe's #9 would be sufficient but I'd like to know for sure so I don't accidentally ruin something.

Also, this is a Colt Commando Special from the mid-80's (an unpolished DS). [Detective Special] It appears that the hammer was bobbed professionally and coated to match the gun. As near as I can tell, it's supposed to have a shiny sided hammer to be factory original. Would it be worthwhile for me to try to find a stock DS hammer to keep on hand if I decide later to sell it. How much would the bobbed hammer decrease the value? Someone also did an amazing job on the trigger - it is smooth as silk - the main reason I bought the gun over an SP101.

Thanks for your help!!colt2.jpg
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

I have a commando. I use a Kleenbore silicone impregnated cloth to wipe it down. It sort of builds up a coat over time and it looks real nice. I use it on my Glock, too.

Also, from what I have heard, the triggers are all like that. So's mine. Best snubbie ever made for it's size, IMHO.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

That Colt Commando makes a grand concealed carry piece.

Hoppe's No. 9 won't harm the finish of your Colt one bit but might not give the long term protection that you are looking for. Parkerizing is neato in that one of its properties allows it to retain oil molecules, a great feature for firearms subjected to less than ideal conditions. There are superior finishes these days but Parkerizing still ain't half bad. I have a number of Parkerized U.S. military firearms and I like to use RIG on them. RIG has given perfect satisfaction for me for many years (like 35). There's nothing out there that can do a better job...really. If RIG is not handy than any good grade of light machine oil rubbed onto the surface will do a dandy job of protecting the finish.

RIG link:
    Rig Grease, Rig Universal Gun Grease
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Parkerizing was originally used on Military weapons because it is inexpensive , quick to apply , and the porous surface holds oil like a sponge.

If you start with a clean exterior you will only need to apply a coat of oil after each use.

After a few coats it will develop a bit of "patina" and any burnt powder or dirt will just sit on the surface , only requiring a wipedown to remove it.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Administrator
    "Would it be worthwhile for me to try to find a stock DS hammer to keep on hand if I decide later to sell it?"

I wouldn't bother. Colt hammers will be around for years to come. Any defensive/carry shooter "in the know" will likely want it with the existing bobbed hammer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I'll leave the hammer as it is and not worry about it. What QKShooter says makes sense.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

I just wipe it down with Balistol or CLP frequently.

Distinguished Member
    One thing that you can do with parkerized guns is very neat.

You clean the gun very thoroughly with a solvent like Hoppes#9. Then strip the gun and heat the parkerized parts in the oven to a couple hundred degrees. This opens the pores in the finish.

You then thoroughly rub a coat of gun grease into the park and let it cool. This will trap the grease inside the finish and give astounding corrosion resistance.

The excess grease will leech out for a while, but when it's done, you will have a beautiful finish that cleans very easily, is very low maintenance, and will protect very well against rust.
    Last edited by Xader; May 2nd, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
    red13 likes this.

Sounds like a good idea - I'll try it!

Links