Khar PM45 good or bad?

Khar PM45 good or bad?

This is a discussion on Khar PM45 good or bad? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for feed back from owners on this gun. I've read that the polymer kahr arms are hit or miss is this true? I ...

Thread: Khar PM45 good or bad?

Khar PM45 good or bad?

I'm looking for feed back from owners on this gun. I've read that the polymer kahr arms are hit or miss is this true? I like this gun as I handled one yesterday but have no experience with kahr arms at all thanks for any help.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

los
    I owned/carried a PM45 for about 4 months, so my experience is somewhat limited.

I can tell you that it's a small Piece and it's pretty light, so it made for a good daily CCW. I found recoil to be a bit snappy, but manageable. Accuracy was very adequate at CQB distances.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

GM
    I do not have any experience with the PM45, but I do have experience with the PM9 (poly frame); IMO it is an excellent firearm. Same thing with the MK9 (same pistol but with stainless frame), I consider it is an excellent firearm too. Kahrs are quality firearms, and the Customer Service is top notch.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I haven't had any issues in over a year and about 2K rounds with a CW. There seem to be a few Kahr bashers out there, but most of what I read is pretty positive.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I've owned three Kahrs (P9, and two PM9s) and recently got another PM9.

Kahrs can be finicky, and their manual of arms is somewhat different than other pistols. For example, most Kahr pistols will not chamber correctly unless you use the slide release, per my experience and the user manual. If you've always trained to use the overhand or slingshot method of chambering the first round in a mag (as I have), then this can be an issue for you - especially when trying to reload while under stress.

My solution is to carry a secondary. In the event my PM9 stops functioning for any reason (jam, out of ammo, whatever) I will transition to my secondary. Given my ingrained training, I would not trust myself to run a Kahr (especially reload) while under stress. So, for me, it is a 7-shot "throw down" weapon.

Hope this helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've owned three Kahrs (P9, and two PM9s) and recently got another PM9.

Kahrs can be finicky, and their manual of arms is somewhat different than other pistols. For example, most Kahr pistols will not chamber correctly unless you use the slide release, per my experience and the user manual. If you've always trained to use the overhand or slingshot method of chambering the first round in a mag (as I have), then this can be an issue for you - especially when trying to reload while under stress.

My solution is to carry a secondary. In the event my PM9 stops functioning for any reason (jam, out of ammo, whatever) I will transition to my secondary. Given my ingrained training, I would not trust myself to run a Kahr (especially reload) while under stress. So, for me, it is a 7-shot "throw down" weapon.

Hope this helps.

I agree, Kahrs are a little different and they require some practice if you want to master them. Although the manual does not recommend it, it is possible to use the slingshot method to chamber the first round, and if you do it right it works flawless all the time. I do not think they are finicky; I have never had a single problem with the PM9 or the MK9.

I have 2 Khar 45's a P model and a CW. Both of these weapons are extremely reliable and accurate if I felt they were not I would not trust my life to them. Khars' do have a very strong spring system and can be difficult for weak wristed persons, hence the sling shot.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Giffordd View Post
    I have 2 Khar 45's a P model and a CW. Both of these weapons are extremely reliable and accurate if I felt they were not I would not trust my life to them. Khars' do have a very strong spring system and can be difficult for weak wristed persons, hence the sling shot.
    I cannot tell about other models, but the PM9 and MK9 have strong springs, and that they are so small makes using the slingshot method even harder

Sponsored Links