Looking at .45ACPs for carry

This is a discussion on Looking at .45ACPs for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wormy I was thinking of the Sig P220 Elite stainless. (By the way if I had a extra $1000 I would have ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at .45ACPs for carry

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I was thinking of the Sig P220 Elite stainless. (By the way if I had a extra $1000 I would have me one.)
    OK.

Did you check the one that I said? Normally I am not so much for SIG’s, but I do believe that for that price that SIG Compact SAO is a very, very good deal. It is not a 1911, but it is very sweet and it shoots very well. It is an officer sized pistol.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

D-DAY will get an "Amen" from me on the Glop 36 grip - hell, I don't like any of them. Great guns, but they are about as ergonomic as a square bat in my hands.

I love my P45; thin, light, comfortable to hold and shoot, and it runs like a stripper on crack.

VIP Member
    You don't mention a price range. If you can swing it - I can't - the Kobra Carry in stainless by Ed Brown is awsome. I have been looking at it and dreaming. It is a bobbed commander size (4.25" bbl) with a fish scale pattern on the slide and on the front and back straps. Field stripping is the same as the 5" and you don't need any tools. It looks like it would carry very nicely and it is to die for to look at. The trigger is also very nice. One of these days...

On the other hand, I have and carry a Springfield Loaded Combat 5" 1911 with night sights (avatar), a Taurus PT145 Mil Pro which I just finished upgrading with new 3 dot night sights (like 15 min ago) and a G21 that has a laser sight, while I carry this, I use it more in the HD role. I would recommend any of these as they are all reliable and easy to carry.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PlmBchSniper View Post
    --When it first came out, I carried a Kahr Arms PM45 and I loved it. I carried it in a Blackhawk leather holster that had a spare magazine holder built into it. That package is very nice - it hits where you aim it, it's very reliable, it is easily concealed under minimal clothing (but not quite a pocket gun like PM9/40), and it did not bark as much as people think.
    --Back in about '94, I carried the AMT DAO .45 and I loved it, except for the channel sights. The PM45 is like a very refined adaptation of the AMT, but a much better shooter, especially with decent sights on it

--Currently I am carrying a Glock 30/36 hybrid; THe Glock 30SF frame with a Glock 36 slide with Heinie sights. It's 10 rounds, fairly simple to conceal, ultimately reliable, and hits where I aim it. People think it's silly, but its 10 rounds of what I think is the best round out and it works for me. Besides, the 36 doesn't feel right in my hands, but I love Glock reliability.

Good luck and stay safe
    PBS welcome to the forum. Can you advise where you got the 30/36 hybrid put together at ? Thanks.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Man, you guys have loaded me up with all kinds of good things to look at and try. I agreatly appreciate all of the advice. Price range is funny because I typically don't buy guns over say $800, but if it was one I really wanted and it met my wants and needs perfectly, I wouldn't let that stop me. Big, fancy, purdy, etc. doesn't really matter to me one way or another. I'm going to start seriously looking at the HKs, G36, Sigs, and Colt (Defender and New Agent). I've handled the Taurus and XDs, and there's nothing wrong with them...I just want to try some things that I don't typically see in my local shops. I have a Bersa Thunder9uc that I love but rarely carry 9mm anymore. I believe they make one same size in .45. I may have to check that out too. Thanks for all of the suggestions...now for the fun part of checking them all out!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wow, just checked the mail and the bills for mine and my wife's surgeries are piling in...people we must have passed in the hall on the way to the OR are sending us bills. Even with our insurance covering everything, mine are over $1,000 now that I owe after insurance and I'm still going to PT 3 times per week at $25 per pop. My wifes is about the same minus the PT. I'm sure there are more to come. Perhaps my gun purchases will be waiting a while. Oh well, I get to look for a while anyway.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I am entertaining the idea of buying my 1st .45 also, and I am liking the Glock G36 quite a lot so far. I just recently bought a G26 and I am very impressed with everything about it.

Sorry to hear. I hope everything is ok with your wife.

Check out a CW45 before you buy!

Regards,
    Jim

She had back surgery...hasn't helped much yet, but the Doc says it takes time and thinks it is going fine. My knee is bouncing back much quicker. Playing golf, walking without a cane or anything now...just got to get a little stronger and got to get the ham string and patella tendon stretched out. Flexibility has never been one of my strong points and getting older isn't helping that a bit.

I'm going to have to take a look at the Kahrs...too many people liking them to ignore them from review.

I have a RIA compact and a Taurus mil pro pt 145 I've never been a fan of taurus but 10 + 1 in a small accurate gun that shoots great is hard to beat. It has become my everyday carry try one out for the price it's hard to beat.Rubicon

My 30/36 wasn't cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    PBS welcome to the forum. Can you advise where you got the 30/36 hybrid put together at ? Thanks.

OS
    I did it the expensive way; I bought and carried a 30SF, didn't like the bulky slide, bought a OD green 36, didn't like the grip, put the 36 slide on the 30SF frame and my life changed. I shot it today and it's a great little package.

Glockmeister is selling the complete 30 frames for $299. I paid cop price for each, but that was still almost $1K after everyting was added up. No-one makes the 36 slide, except Glock, and no-one can get one of those stateside.

Thanks for the welcome... I really like what I see and read here... Regards.
    Palm Beach Sniper
    "Aim small, miss small - But only if you have the time."

jyo
    My two small 45s are my Kahr P45---really small, thin and light with DAO trigger---probably the best small 45. Just bought a slightly used HK45c yesterday---not as small as the P45, but still very packable---won't be able to pick it up for 10 days (Kalifornia waiting period)---if its as good as my other HK pistols, it should be VERY good!

I would go with a Glock 30, i carry it often and dont find it bulky at all.

The Glock-36 is my EDC. This single stack (thin grip) .45 is the perfect 'hole puncher'.
    Go pick one up...that was my first mistake, and now I own 5 Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links