Looking at .45ACPs for carry

This is a discussion on Looking at .45ACPs for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One thing that has been on my want list for a little while has been a .45ACP that I can carry. I have a decent ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

One thing that has been on my want list for a little while has been a .45ACP that I can carry. I have a decent RIA 1911 full-size that I enjoy shooting, and even carry at times with no problem, but I've been eyeballing other .45s at the shops.

I did recently hold a small 1911, the Colt New Agent, and I must admit that it has my attention!!! So does the price tag, but I considered selling about 3 of my other guns to fund it. This is something that is a possibility of staying with a 1911 platform in a more carryable form.

Other guns I've been looking at are the various models in the XD and XDm lineup. I have a XD40sc, so I really like the Springfields. The Taurus 24/7 has also caught my attention, both the long and short barrel versions. I've also considered the Glock 36 as I don't have any Glocks in my current lineup.

So, if I stay with the 1911 it would be the Colt New Agent. Anyone have any experience with these? Any thoughts or experiences with the other .45s I've mentioned or any others I should take a close look at? Ideally, I'd love to have a small hammered .45 with de-cocker that is DA/SA, but I haven't seen any in the shops I frequent. Any thoughts on those features?

Thanks for your help. I'm stimulating the economy one gun purchase at a time.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Have you considered the CW45? Light weight, nice trigger and overall a niece piece. It's nice and flat but large enough to hang on to which I consider to be extra important in a small frame big caliber handgun. The Glock 36 is a proven platform and a lot of guys love them. For me I find it a big large for what your getting. As far as Taurus goes I owned a PT145 which I really liked. It was the only Taurus I've owned that the gun didn't give me any problems. That being said I had multiple magazine issues but after those were sorted out I was quite happy with it. I mainly got rid of it because I decided I didn't like external safeties. I've never shot a new agent but I have heard they are quite good. A girl I dated for a bit had one and loved it. Para also makes a couple nice officer 1911's but they are chubby little ********. I'm sure someone will suggest something in the Kimber line but I tend to shy away from them because of their 500 rounds break in period. If I was going to but a officer size 1911 it would be a Springfield Armory. If I was going with a commander size it would be a Springfield Armory

As far as a da/sa with a decocker goes you could check out a P220R Compact It's a bit chunky and only 6+1 but fit's the bill for the features you want.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I've held the new agent, and I know the magic that you speak of. It's about the same dimensions, but just a fraction of the weight of my ATI FX45 Titan. Which BTW, I've been very pleased with. It took some break-in, but after which (and some minimal fluffing/buffing) it's running like the wind. Think of it as a 'poor mans New Agent' (about $475).

I would expect any 1911 of those dimensions to require break-in and some TLC, including the New Agent.

For a small .45ACP, I really think that the Glock 36 is hard to beat. I started off carrying 1911's, and that is my go-to platform. But I long said that the one Glock I wanted to own, is a 36, and last year I bought one. It is a pretty sweet little pistol. Control wise it gives the closest thing to your j-frames.

I would give it a serious look if I was you. I like my 1911's full sized, and that is usually what I carry. But I have a feeling the 36 will see more carry duty as the weather warms up.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I suggest you also look at the following pistols:

• Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact
    • Heckler & Koch USP Compact 45
    • Glock 30
    • Glock 36
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Thanks for the info Rollo. I've been looking at HKs online and I must say that several of them look like they would fit the bill for me, just none of my local gun shops carry any of them so I can't check them out in person to see how they fit and feel. Next time I'm in Roanoke, I know a shop that carries HKs and I'm going to check them out. The New Agent is getting a lot of thought from me...ever since holding it, I just can't shake it. It felt great in hand and I can see how it would be easy to carry year-round. I'm still going to mostly carry revolvers, and mostly also carry a small revolver when I carry a semi-auto. I doubt that I will ever get away from being primarily a revolver guy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you like 1911s and the grip of the Officers Model suits your hand, you might look into the "hybrid" mating of Officer's Model grip with a Commander-length slide. I think Colt was the first to put one together and called it the CCO for Concealed Carry Officer; other 1911 builders have marketed these over the years, currently including Dan Wesson CCO and Kimber Compact CDP II. The frame is aluminum for light weight, so you get 7+1 capacity and a 4" barrel for good velocity and fewer reliability problems that the ultra-short (3 to 3-1/2" barrel) 1911s seem to have.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cool

I like my G-36 alot so my comments would be partial to that platform. Resonable price, extremely reliable, easy maintenance but then that is all Glocks. That would be a perfect first Glock for you.

photo.jpg G-36

photo.JPG G-36 with Side Guard holster

photo.jpg oops G-23 by mistake

I also like the G-36's big brother for cooler weather when a jacket or sweatshirt can be used for a cover garment.

photo.jpg G-21
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

How about a compact RIA?

I like the SIG 220 Stainless Carry Elite myself.

P220 Carry Elite Stainless

RKM
    Can't beat the G30 or G36.

GM
    This might not be what you are looking for and it cannot be compared with a 1911, but CDNN has a .45 ACP SIG P220 Compact SAO, German frame with night sights and aluminum grips at a very good price. You get a lot of firearm for the money. It is in page #17, Download Catalog .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Colt New Agent

I don't have the Colt New Agent, but have the very similar Colt Defender. They differ only in minor respects, such as color (blue vs. stainless), sights (regular vs. gutter) and grip safety design. If you put thin grips on the Defender it will feel very much like the New Agent. I would recommend the Defender highly.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I like my G30 and its ten rounds but admit at the end of the day it feels like an anchor hanging on my side sometimes. I often wish I'd bought the G36 instead. (Let's see, when was the last times I got involved in a shoot out and 6+1 wasn't enough? Never.)

I also like my 4566 with its bobbed hammer and DS/SA action. If S&W cranked out a smaller version of it, I'd be all over it!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with Pogo2 about the Colt Defender. Great carry gun, either in a holster or with a ClipDraw installed. I have the lightweight and feel very secure when I have it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not...." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links