Pocket carry full grip?

Pocket carry full grip?

This is a discussion on Pocket carry full grip? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone able to pocket carry with a full-sized grip? I'm 6'6" and 295#, and my hands are way too big to properly hold any ...

Pocket carry full grip?

Is anyone able to pocket carry with a full-sized grip? I'm 6'6" and 295#, and my hands are way too big to properly hold any pocket gun I've seen so far. Maybe fit a XXXXL grip to a small revolver? Or maybe an XDm3.8? Any ideas would be appreciated before I give up on the idea of front pocket carry.

What kind of gun are you talking about? J-frame snubs easily carry in a front pocket, but anything much larger than a Kel-Tec 3AT/Ruger LCP may be a struggle. I have a K-frame snub, but that's just too big. The mini Glocks may go into a pocket - i.e., actually fit - but drawing them quickly and easily is something else.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

GM
    Welcome to the forum

The largest semi-auto that I sometimes - and only sometimes - can pocket carry is the Kahr PM9/MK9, and there goes the limit. I could never pocket carry a full grip firearm.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Welcome from North Carolina!!!
    I carry a TCP (.380) w/ pinky extender in my pocketquite nicely. I have smallish hands, so the TCP may not even work for you. My 709 (9mm) w/ pinkt extender is a "very iffy" in my pocket. My 905 (9mm revolver) w/ oversize grips is a "No-Can-Do". My XDm 3.8 9mm(reg, not compact) is a "Forget-About-It". (I don't know about the compact). It's the grip length that's the problem. The too-long butt will show out of the pocket, even w/ a holster, especially when you bend, and you will, sometime. Having that all written down, I pocket carry the TCP, and use a cell pal on the other said guns. The other guns I have I just don't carry.

Why do you need/want to pocket carry if you are that big? 6'6" 295# that's a lot of room to conceal a gun in a lot of different ways
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! I myself do not like pocket carry, but I wish you luck on your efforts.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I am 6'2" and 230# I sometimes carry my new emp .40 in my front pocket. I knew a guy about your size who carried a glock 17, I think I get cofused with all the numbers. Any way it was bigger then the baby glock. No one has ever made me with the emp I think that is due to the thin profile.

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I'm interested in trying pocket carry is because I could have my hand on my piece when my spidey sense tingles without drawing any attention.

The real problem I have with 99% of guns is the short trigger reach...the trigger is usually at my 2nd finger joint. If it's the grip length that prohibits pocket carry, maybe I can find a grip that is short but large in the other 2 dimensions?

Grip wrap???

I can fit my Kahr CW9 in a Desantis Nemesis in most of my pants front pockets. The only time I have trouble is in warmup/workout pants that have shallower pockets...at that point about 1 cm of gun is showing (basically the bottom plate of the flush-fitting mag).

I have never been "outed" though in those situations but will probably pick up a CM9 soon for that.

Basic rule of thumb is to check Desantis' site...anything they don't sell the Nemesis holster for is probably not going to work in a pocket.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Why do you need/want to pocket carry if you are that big? 6'6" 295# that's a lot of room to conceal a gun in a lot of different ways
    I'm that big (just a little shorter and a little wider) and I pocket carry. I pocket carry for reasons for CC my BUG OR when I just don't feel like carrying a gun on my hip.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Buy new pants? Some pants have small pockets for no apparent reason. Others have nice roomy pockets.
    If you make nice with a talented tailor/seamstress you could have your pockets altered to accommodate your needs.

Links